General Design and Manufacture Discussion

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
No problem! Yes, can do 0.20".

Question for you though, where are you measuring your .20" from and where are you using this?
If you have a profile view like above that'd be very informative.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm measuring like this: http://catiadoc.free.fr/online/bascuasl_C2/images/jogglecompensation_method2.gif
So 5mm for Depth=S

The side bracket has about 5mm between it and the side panel for the screws and dust filter that exists with the current design because the side panel isn't flush with the frame . With the ball stud and clips the frame would come out and the panel would be flush against it so I need to inset the bracket to keep the space for the dust filter.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Do the removable standoffs on the CX-3300 fit in tightly? Seems like they'd be a bit wobbly. Are they just standard PennEng BSO standoffs?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Do the removable standoffs on the CX-3300 fit in tightly? Seems like they'd be a bit wobbly. Are they just standard PennEng BSO standoffs?

They're BSOs machined to fit very closely, however I have no projects that use those adjustable standoffs because they're expensive.
For every project that uses that CX-33XX base case design we build the tray either without the adjustable standoffs, or with tapped holes and screw in standoffs.
Standard products are more of a "look what we can design" for getting OEM/ODM interest, seeing as I can't advertise their product, and then designing/modifying for budget from there.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
@KSliger Some more questions for you.

Would this bend be practical to do?

It'd be for the front panel

And do you have a ~5mm (.20in) round punch and a 5-6mm (.20-.24in) hexagon punch?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
That's definitely doable, so long as there's no hardware on the inside of that 17mm flange.

Industry standard is .197" or .203" circle punches - both have ±0.003 tolerances, so whichever is easier for you is fine by me.

Only have .156" hex but a hex tool in .20"-.24" size would probably be around $150-$200 if you want to factor that in.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So I take it no one's found a source for concealed-head ball studs? I've been looking myself, but no luck so far.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, I got you. Had to go back and re-read the earlier part of the thread. Seems a little kludgey, but I guess it works.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup. I emailed asking for CAD files but haven't heard back yet.

I like that the clips are metal but they're much larger than the ones Lian Li uses.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Indeed I did (with images from the Peninsula Components site). W360 needed it, actually.

Last edited:

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I've got a question that isn't quite clear to me.
Is it possible to cut sheet metal, then anodize it and afterwards do all the necessary bends on it?

Right now with the current case I've got a quotation in which anodizing is 60% of the cost of the case, this seems to be mainly because the case would be sent after all the bends have been put in, making the sandblasting of the case a very expensive and tedious job, also volume wise it isn't very efficient in the anodizing bath.
I've been looking around and was curious how Lian-Li does this, but they seem to anodize and brush the flat sheet metal first and then apply all the bends that are necessary.

Are there any special considerations for this approach?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I don't think you can bend anodised Aluminium, as the oxide layer is hard & brittle. If the sandblasting process is the main problem you might be able to sandblast when flat, bend, then anodise, but only if it's not too expensive to ship the parts back and forth.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I don't think you can bend anodised Aluminium, as the oxide layer is hard & brittle. If the sandblasting process is the main problem you might be able to sandblast when flat, bend, then anodise, but only if it's not too expensive to ship the parts back and forth.

I've looked for some more articles about the Lian-Li factory, it seems they do all the cutting first, then they brush it followed by bending, then it is sent out for anodizing which is done by an external party and lastly it seems inserts are inserted.

I want to keep manufacturing local so pricing is already higher then a little then outsourcing it to Asia, though shipping and taxes will be lower.
I'm trying to have the case anodized, but pricing is not in favor, going with powder coating seems more appealing.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I've got a question that isn't quite clear to me.
Is it possible to cut sheet metal, then anodize it and afterwards do all the necessary bends on it?

Right now with the current case I've got a quotation in which anodizing is 60% of the cost of the case, this seems to be mainly because the case would be sent after all the bends have been put in, making the sandblasting of the case a very expensive and tedious job, also volume wise it isn't very efficient in the anodizing bath.
I've been looking around and was curious how Lian-Li does this, but they seem to anodize and brush the flat sheet metal first and then apply all the bends that are necessary.

Are there any special considerations for this approach?

Do you know what type of anodizing you're looking at? Type II isn't expensive, Type III or two step can be.

Also it's not possible to form after anodizing due to material cracking, some soft aluminum in clear alodine sometimes wont show the cracks though.

When you say 60%... are you talking ~$10 or ~$30? I can see anodizing possibly costing $10 for the whole case if you're in California.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Do you know what type of anodizing you're looking at? Type II isn't expensive, Type III or two step can be.

Also it's not possible to form after anodizing due to material cracking, some soft aluminum in clear alodine sometimes wont show the cracks though.

When you say 60%... are you talking ~$10 or ~$30? I can see anodizing possibly costing $10 for the whole case if you're in California.
We are talking over 50, 1 part is costing 25 just to sandblast in which they comment "because of the amount of bends it is very difficult and time-consuming to sandblast".
I've since changed the design of that part, but still the sandblasting is more expensive then the actual anodizing, mostly because it is a manual process so scaling doesn't really lower the costs.