General Design and Manufacture Discussion

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
The non-professional experience I have with wood is that it wears a lot. I would be very curious though if Guille can address that.
Well, if durability is a concern, there's always wood veneer.

Still, I don't think real wood panels for the case would be a problem if it's not handled too much, and the corners and edges are finished properly.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Deep down, we are all wood guys.

Ha. I mean, I am not good at working with wood, innuendo accepted. My bird house also fell down, caught fire and exploded.
But then, I am distracted today. EKWB sent me some toys for my Nano! Shiny!
That means I don't have to learn a CAD program, or make someone insane trying to do that for me. I will just make a case out of real parts.

I also failed metal shop, but at least that will not explode. Until I plug it in :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh man you have too much fun stuff to play around with and you still waste time making explosive birdhouses !

I think wood is one of the most easy-to-learn material to build stuff out of, due to it's force and labor requirements more in tune with the human body's capabilities. Aluminium being a close second though, but it can be quite expensive to go beyond the standard beam, frame or strip.

Personally I'd still want to go the 3D printing route, but I'm not motivated enough to get my lazy ass to do something after work.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm also an expert at dealing with food, by which I mean stuffing it in my mouth. I'm not so good at cooking but not terrible, more in the realm of "mastered reheating, novice at cooking, might be deserving of a spice rack".

Nice to see people's other skills. Be sure to post something in the off-topic section !

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Thanks for all the input guys! Lots of good info here.

What options are there for tool-less panel attachment? I like the ball stud and clips that Lian-Li uses but they don't seem to be readily available anywhere I could find. I stumbled across these. Looks similar to what Caselabs uses, actually I'm almost certain it's the same thing.

Any other options I'm not aware of? Only one that comes to mind is magnets.

I know this was asked a while ago, but to get back on topic:
Lian Li did not decide between Aluminum or steel, they were an OEM, making aluminum CD cases at first, it was only aluminum. Mr. Lian Li saw the cases at the time and saw they were ugly. As he knew Al, he used Al, just more. He made beautiful cases :)

The clips are made in house. The method of attaching the knobs was invented and perfected by us. I don't know about the grabby bits, but most of that is made by us too. Just the spring bit is bought.

Hope that helps.

(PS. "I am also a Chef" is a movie quote ;) I bake a cookie if you know the movie)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Lian Li made aluminium CD cases ? Do you mean jewel cases, storage bins or something else ? Do you have any examples ? Very curious !

PS. I have no idea which movie that's from :confused:

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
LOL, CD players. Remember then big grey things you used to put in the Computer Machines that would play the round floppies? They made the enclosures for them as OEM. They were nothing special. But they did know how to fold aluminum.

I do say that Lian Li is not a tech company. They are an origami company, they just use aluminum not paper :)

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
LOL, CD players. Remember then big grey things you used to put in the Computer Machines that would play the round floppies? They made the enclosures for them as OEM. They were nothing special. But they did know how to fold aluminum.

I do say that Lian Li is not a tech company. They are an origami company, they just use aluminum not paper :)

True dat, their chassis are arts. I only buy Lian-Li chassis and I wish I could afford an E-ATX server board to fit inside my unused PC-V1200. By the way, Do you still make the original 5.25" bay cover for that case ?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
That gives some inspirations for concept cases: a 'single piece' aluminium case, formed form a single sheet of folded and punched Aluminium (would have to be short run due to the acute folds, couldn't be machine assembled with a regular press-brake); and a 'self assembling' case using pre-stressed joints (or separated Aluminium structural panels bonded to either side of an internal flexible 'hinge' sheet) and shape-memory or routed Bowden cable actuation, similar to a reverse of the system used to 'unpack' stowed solar panels for spacecraft.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
If you guys would only speak English.... ;)

If anyone has a design concept for such a thing, more the 'single piece' aluminium case, not the space self assembling part :) I will take it to Mr. Wong.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Found a neat video on building a sheet metal enclosure:

It's focused on manufacturing one-off enclosures for prototyping/R&D so some stuff doesn't quite apply to volume production but it's a good overview of the different steps involved in making a case.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Found a neat video on building a sheet metal enclosure:

It's focused on manufacturing one-off enclosures for prototyping/R&D so some stuff doesn't quite apply to volume production but it's a good overview of the different steps involved in making a case.
Very nice.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well you can build manual breaks quite cheaply if that's your thing.

Interesting video, didn't know that was how powder coating worked either and he brings up some important points about bend-to-cut clearances.

Blorgon

Caliper Novice
Jan 15, 2016
ddejohn.bandcamp.com
Great video!

Also, great thread—I think it should be stickied.

I did a quick search, and I've only been able to scan the thread so far. I wanted to ask if anybody knows about extrusion?

I have a bare bones case design that I'd like to move forward with (most likely as a personal project, but I'd be open to going through the whole process if people were interested enough), and have been considering all the manufacturing options. I looked into square aluminum tubing, and really like the idea of using it as the front-bottom-back-top shell, and then having side panels that screw into the shell, and a skeleton that you could build the system on and then just slide into the shell and secure.

What I'm curious about is what exactly goes into extrusion, if there are any one-off companies (like Protocase but for extrusion),if it would be practical, maximum allowable dimensions for this sort of thing, et cetera.

Let's put aside cost just for the sake of discussion.

Cheers!

Reactions: Cameron Protocase