General Design and Manufacture Discussion

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well, it's not like you're flooding the forum with the one extra topic :D

But the subject is totally different, this topic is 99% about manufacturing and industrial design considerations.
It will likely get more coverage if it has it's proper topic. Or you might be able to place it in your build log.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I didn't know if it is "enough" for a new thread because everything before in this thread seemed to be about case manufacturing.
Do you think I should open a "side thread" for this then I will do that :)

Yeah you could either do that, or you could start a thread on your case in general. That's very useful to have single source for all your feedback, and you do get quite good feedback from all these lovely fellows in this forum :) Or you could've worded your question more generally. Something along the lines of: "What is the cheapest/sturdiest/least obstructing pattern for air vents when using CNC or laser cutting?" That would be directly related to the manufacturing, not the design itself. Right now, we don't know what would fit your case aesthetically.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I didn't know if it is "enough" for a new thread because everything before in this thread seemed to be about case manufacturing.
Do you think I should open a "side thread" for this then I will do that :)

I would, especially if follow-up discussion (or questions sprouting from your initial inquiry) are a possibility. This is a general thread about methods and dialogue within design and manufacturing, but you may want a thread that's particular to your project ;)

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
Thanks. However this would be much smaller scale, I won't be pulling off an NCASE. The design would also be very simple. It would more or less be something like this:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1769885

Obviously with differences though.

Production would thus be smaller, and probably in batches, like Lone Industries. Like them, I'll probably go for a smaller aluminum shop, rather than a big company like Lian Li.

Well, send it to us. We have been known to take good ideas, just somewhat less often than I would like ;)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
So there's been some discussion on [H] in the NCase LRPC thread about sourcing "better" internal PSU extension cables than have been included with the M1. Lots of "we're still looking for a source" types of comments.

Which makes me wonder, what kinds of resources for these kinds of parts are available to a case designer (i.e., who are the manufacturers)? What kind of MOQ is required to get something custom (i.e., not yet available on the market) at a reasonable marginal cost?

Now, I don't personally want a M1, or a steambox-ish case at the present, but in the interest of advancing the discussion and perhaps the progress toward the actual release of SFF cases that employ internal PSU extensions, I'd like to propose a stopgap, or perhaps an evolutionary step. Would something like the following be workable?

Contract with a manufacturer to produce an inline C14 to C13 adapter something like this: http://www.welleen.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=1222 with the C14 end fabricated with a mountable flange like https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8f/IEC60320_C14.jpg/200px-IEC60320_C14.jpg . At that point, end users could furnish their own extension, or at least replace the stock included cable with something that meets a unique requirement if they want. The "stock" cable could be a custom order with a "normal" C14 end and a right-angled C13 end, potentially eliminating the need to manually splice and heat-shrink the cable or at least make it possible to use a rewireable terminal like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WJCH0A0/?tag=theminutiae-20.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The problem with both those solutions is their huge overhead in size. The cable used in the v1-v4 versions of the Ncase M1 are very low-profile and have a much higher flexibility. The problem is seemingly that the MOQ is too much for a complete custom solution (own design) and that there aren't much options easily found.

Wahaha360 is hunting a new cable, he said on [H]. I'm interested in this since I've had some issues with the current cables from the Ncase M1.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
I have no clue about this, I am really asking:
Would anyone like, want or even accept a power brick in a very small SFF case? Has anyone done that?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
There are plenty of case designs that use an internal HDPLEX DC-DC supply and/or a PicoPSU, with one or more outboard high wattage laptop chargers to provide 19V DC input. While this shrinks the volume of the case itself, you now have an extra brick or two to lug around along with the case.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I personally don't like it, because it's a mandatory (non peripheral) component for turning on a PC. It also tends to be more difficult to manage than just a cable and those bricks + DC/DC board cost more than a powerful SFX PSU. I would not want to see this EVER in a 8L or larger case but I can understand why some 5L and smaller cases tend to go this route. But it all depends on what it's for.

If you ask if anyone has ever done it, yes.
Commercially: Intel NUC and derivates, Alienware X51, Asus GR8 and GR20, etc etc.
Custom: DAN's A4 (non-SFX version), QinX's project are just a few I can think of

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Also the NotFromConcentrate S3, S3 Mini and S4 are worth mentioning in that regard. There's also a case mod called "Little Mac" which can be found on OCN and [H].

I personally don't like it either for the same reasons Phuncz doesn't. It removes a component vital for the POST of the computer from the case itself. But I know that a lot of people don't have a problem with it or even like it because it reduces the footprint.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
I love power bricks. To me, the size of the actual case is more important than the fact that there may be a large adapter on the floor. The Lone Industries cases integrate these really well in my opinion, as well as the original A4 prototype (which I now own... :D).

I'm designing a really small case as well, and a brick is kinda needed for the layout to work.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
I have seen how they make those push pin easy open side panels. There is a lot more to them than spot welding on nipples. They are actually a very cool innovation Lian Li made, or the attachment processes is. If you figure that out for woooood... I would like to see it :)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I have seen how they make those push pin easy open side panels. There is a lot more to them than spot welding on nipples. They are actually a very cool innovation Lian Li made, or the attachment processes is. If you figure that out for woooood... I would like to see it :)

I have 2 Lian-li chassis. A PC-V1200 I bought in 2003 and my current PC-V353. I've always been impressed by the build quality and especially by the side panels. The PC-V1200 is very intersting in that way.

I'd like to try the threaded ball studs and threaded wood inserts to do something similar, wondering if it could work.

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
I am not a wood guy, but, as long as the wood is good, and there is not a lot of flexing in the case, I don't see why it would not work. But does it not mean the frame has to be quite thick?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The non-professional experience I have with wood is that it wears a lot. I would be very curious though if Guille can address that.

I am not a wood guy
Deep down, we are all wood guys.