General Chat Thread

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
oh thank god I needed people to talk about this beautifull and ugly monster

I agree on the sata ports position, I find the layout rather interesting. its not that inovative, but its nice.
the ram slots on the back of the motherboard is really icing on the cake for me. imagine the hardware noobs that apple users are having to detach a cooler? that wouldnt go very well. their power suplly sollution is also one of their great aspects for me. overall, really good design.

something that is genious of their part is their vent design. its rather simple to machine, (looks like its just spheres in an odd pattern) but its cutout from both sides!! that makes it VERY ridiculous to copy, as its only apple who has that kind of machine scale, to do it in a somehow cost efficient, and its very functional as well, it looks premium and moves air easily.

my bet is they wanted something that only they could reproduce for at least a few years to make their design look even more niche.

good joob apple. as a product designer I'm very excited as how this design will impact other hardware companies, as a SFF enthusiast though, I kinda hated it haha

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
just to briefly change gears for a bit: with wahaha360's talk on mATX being phased out as a collective whole, my early-purchase anxiety for the X399M is growing, lol (i.e. will there be an X499M or something?)

okay carry on with the cheesegrater pro 2

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Anyone want to help me figure out the name of a particular case build on these forums (if you can find the link to the topic)?

This is a custom designed case, it is SFF but on the upper bound of what is considered SFF, close to 20L. The case is made out of finished aluminum and designed for water cooling, I believe it was able to hold 2x 240 radiators. It is not the Project mATX case, the design was more "Apple like" and minimal. The owner also posted a video of the case. I know this case build had a thread here but I just can't find it. Anyone know what it is?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
it's not the Mach One is it? o_o
Nope, not the Mach One. Though I see that one is even more Apple-like :D I guess the case I'm referring to isn't as much in comparison. It doesn't have perforated vents like that I think, but it is anodized aluminum. The case I'm thinking about had a build log older than the Mach One reveal.

Also the motherboard is mounted in a normal position. The components don't sit vertically like in the Mach One.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I can't find what you're describing and now I'm mad and curious at the same time lmao. Was this a one-off?

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Anyone want to help me figure out the name of a particular case build on these forums (if you can find the link to the topic)?

This is a custom designed case, it is SFF but on the upper bound of what is considered SFF, close to 20L. The case is made out of finished aluminum and designed for water cooling, I believe it was able to hold 2x 240 radiators. It is not the Project mATX case, the design was more "Apple like" and minimal. The owner also posted a video of the case. I know this case build had a thread here but I just can't find it. Anyone know what it is?

The Circle Pro is the closest I've seen to what you're describing.

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
crap.
there's a secondhand 16L case
going for 74 USD
already in the area

i might go for it.

EDIT: if I buy it, I'm definitely making another log about it.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
cold feet cold feet
(actually stale hands stale hands because i'm thinking if that 74 USD could be good for something on my next upgrade ,_,)

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
managed to get the motherboard I was going for. 3900x sold out all over. My local Fry's that's literally a block from AMD hq (old Sunnyvale location) didn't even get any for the release.

Reactions: cmyk78

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
PSU arrived, an I forgot to order the EPS 4 to 8 cable, DOH!

Also dug out my old arctic cooler AIO put it on a 5V feed, an its clicking away. Grindy bearing noises. DOH

My Noctua U9S doesn't have AM4 fittings DOH

Thankfully my Phanteks TC12LS fits but theres no point fitting it till I get the EPS connector sorted. URGH

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Try booting with just a 4 pin plugged in. AFAIK the purpose of 8 pin eps is just redundancy and spreading the load for power hungrier cpu over more cables and pins. It should boot just fine. You can always added it back once arrived.
Yup confirmed working really well voltages seem good

CPU vCore 0.758
CPU VCORE SOC 1.188
CPU VDDP 0.9
RAM CH (A/B) 1.38
12V 11.952
3.3V 3.404
5V 5.04

Tallest component in there is the CPU cooler at 47mm (bar the two 140mm case fans)

Amusingly temps are now lower too probably because the cooler isnt being restricted by the bottom of the PSU anymore