General Chat Thread

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I like to think there's a bucket of gold in the end of that rainbow. I've yet to find one at the bottom of my motherboard though...

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
That's why I bought a red box, not dull :)
My box is white (and the included RGB lighting is turned off), I got sick of the giant black box that was my old Define R4. White makes the case look smaller too :) I do turn on the RGB every couple or months or so, though, just to look at how weird/fun/over the top/absurd/nice it looks. It would be too much of a distraction if I left it on, though.

Reactions: Phuncz

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

so close ,_,
(i can make that work though. the molex socket can be bent back a bit. even if it snaps i doubt I'd be missing anything, LOL)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

so close ,_,
(i can make that work though. the molex socket can be bent back a bit. even if it snaps i doubt I'd be missing anything, LOL)
What is that SilverStone thing? Power jack and USB-A on one side, Molex or SATA power on the other? Weird.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
so.... about Apple's new 52L Mac Pro....
Well, they listened to the people using the hardware and actually went with standardization and modularity. Not SFF by any stretch of the imagination, but it fits the use case - high-end video editors, pro graphics artists, and others who want to buy a $10000 workstation but also upgrade it down the line (and have functional cooling!). Now for them to launch a modular non-Pro Mac (ITX-ish?) between this and the Mini - that would be something. Apple are fond of custom motherboards and the like, so ~10l with dual dual-slot expansion cards ought to be doable.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I guess it went from a trashcan design to a Taobao design :p

Seriously the large heatsink config with MPX modules looks better thought out than the last cooling solution.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
yeah the heatsink's definitely vastly better than their glorified intel heatsink, lol ._.
(i'm kinda surprised why they didn't make a mid-cycle hardware change to the trashcan pro to redesign the "thermal core" to be a finpipe cooler on the same shape ._. at least they have this now)

MPX is.... eh they still want more control with the kind of GPU they want in their systems ._. at least Nvidia will be able to install their latest cards in it now

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
If someone stuffs this thing full of GPUs (or other accelerators), wouldn't the PPL actually be rather good not terrible? It does seem to have a relatively smart/space efficient layout, what with sticking the RAM on the back of the motherboard for maximum AIC compatibility. I also think the empty space above the PCIe slots (behind the CPU cooler) is for HDD mounting, given the two SATA ports nearby.