General Chat Thread

iamtheqi

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2019
Hey guys, I'm new here but I would actually like to know: what got all of you into SFFs? I'm genuinely curious and I like to hear people's reasons behind pursuing smth interesting

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Hey guys, I'm new here but I would actually like to know: what got all of you into SFFs? I'm genuinely curious and I like to hear people's reasons behind pursuing smth interesting
There's a lot of activity about that here until few months ago, why don't you hop there and maybe we get to liven up the thread again? My reason for itx is at page 5 btw

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Mice can be customizable in so many ways. So why can't I customize the cord for my mouse in over 90% of them? Why do I have to be stuck with a too short or too long cord. It's 2019!
What is a cord again?

At 2020 we'll start seeing "wired mouse" and all other normal mice would be wireless.

It's already happening, people.

Reactions: Valantar

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I have no reason to go back to a wired mouse since Logitech released the G305.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I adore this. Steve has a point, why can't designs be fun?

Yeah, completely agree. Love that they went for it completely and didn't just stick some half-assed decals or something on some ho-hum card. That shroud is really nicely designed, and while the aesthetic isn't for me, I still kind of love the product.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I wish there was a GPU brand that just doesn't design a shroud for 12 year old gamers and just focus on performance.

Something like this looks more promising than most of the current cyborg implant lookalike designs:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I wish there was a GPU brand that just doesn't design a shroud for 12 year old gamers and just focus on performance.

Something like this looks more promising than most of the current cyborg implant lookalike designs:

Is that the XFX Radeon Fury? I read somewhere that that's actually an AMD reference design that nobody but XFX adopted. A shame, really, as I agree that that is an excellent design. AMD's non-blower reference designs tend to be, even if they sadly never seem to reach consumer products.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Sadly, most GPU are 2.5 to 3 slots nowadays. And the width is increasing more and more too .... And I can't help but think that this will become the norm.

Also .... LEDs .... /Pukes

Yeah, the current trend of every damn GPU being >2 slots is incredibly annoying. I mean, we cooled >200W GPUs perfectly well (and quietly!) with 2-slot coolers in the past couple of genrestions. I would struggle to fit most of these new ones in my 25l NZXT H200, so I can hardly imagine what issues they lead to in smaller cases. Then again I can't see myself moving away from water cooling any time soon, which makes pretty much any GPU single slot :)

And at least RGB can be turned off, unlike terrible shroud designs :p

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
You're telling me that stupid ass weeaboo brony fedora wearing basement dweller cat shroud is better than the XFX one?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You're telling me that stupid ass weeaboo brony fedora wearing basement dweller cat shroud is better than the XFX one?
The Yeston one? I would say yes - at least that's somewhat unique and well executed without sacrificing function for its (admittedly quite out there) form. It's not for me, and is very much a niche product, but it's a 2-slot card with a decent cooler. The XFX is like a Kinder surprise of bad GPU design - overly large, fugly, and poorly performing. Even if one of the two is opinion, the other two aren't, and the Yeston lacks these faults. So even if you think the XFX isn't ugly and the Yeston is, the XFX still has a badly designed, overly large and poorly functioning cooler. It's loud too, btw. As such it reminds me of 50s American cars in more ways than just industrial design - it's huge for no other reason than that it can be without adding significant production cost, and makes a ton of noise without the performance to match. The Thicc is supposed to be XFX's flagship RX 5700 XT SKU, yet it performs worse than significantly cheaper offerings from competitors.