General Chat Thread

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
BitScope Raspberry Pi Cluster for 3000 Cores in 30U
https://www.servethehome.com/bitscope-raspberry-pi-cluster-3000-cores-30u/

mind. blown.
Saw that mighty thing. Pretty cool. I am wondering could each Pi module be virtualized?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I wish ._. (although this thing was something I wished for almost 2 years ago)

sorry for being vague, trying not to jinx this, LOL. I'll reveal what it is if I lost or when it lands on my doorstep

T-1hr EDIT: someone probing with bids finally, LOL. I don't mind losing this auction (not gonna raise my max bid) since I might save it for intel's next gen Realsense camera (could use some tinkering, I need a 3D scanner anyway. got a physical model I left alone for a long time that I'm still figuring out how to digitise), but if I win this it's kind of a hollow victory, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Soo when was it that we can we expect mid-range/low-end Coffee Lake boards? Q1? Haven't too much been following CPU development for the last year. 8400 seems perfect but I'm not paying 160 for a board.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
No official release date yet for the rest of the Coffee Lake CPU lineup, and no official confirmation of the rest of the chipset lineup (Z390 + the Q, H and B variants), though it is assumed both will arrive at the same time. We have the usual 'leaked roadmaps' claiming Q1, but that may not necessarily be accurate:

Mar 6, 2017
I'd love to see a move to 48V across the board, but to do that would need a completely clean break from ATX, not just in connector form-factor (as with switching to an all-12V design, where passive adapters would allow the use of existing ATX supplies and existing add-in cards) but a total lack of cross-compatibility and backward-compatibility. A one-two-three punch of new motherboards and CPUs, new GPUs, and a new card interface arriving simultaneously could do it, but ALL of those new parts would need to be a significant enough improvement from their predecessors to offset the huge all-at-once capital outlay and justify not being able to 'get by' with incremental upgrades. That would take a lot of industry co-operation to pull off, and even if Intel have the grunt to push out new from-factors for their own parts, that may just end up like BTX if its reliant on independent manufacturers also taking it up. Even the move from AGP to PCIe had some opportunity for cross-compatible parts (e.g. boards with both slots) which would almost certainly not be possible with a move to 48V (having double sets of VRMs would be both extremely expensive, and likely take up too much board area for GPUs and ITX boards).

Was thinking of this post yesterday, realized a move to 48V could mean all Ethernet ports become PoE. Of course, you'd need some kind of chip to decide it the port's gonna act as full duplex, half duplex, or half duplex with PoE, but those would cost like what, $0.00005 mass produced?