General Chat Thread

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Just took apart an Xbox 360 and an old PC. Dunno what Im going to do with the old PC crap but the 360...might use the frame and build either a small ITX HTPC style computer or an emulator out of a Raspberry Pi.

Have a drawer full of fans and crap now.

Dont crucify for my storage at the moment. Old as dust components and very limited space.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Code:
telnet mapscii.me
the more you zoom in the more detail you get, alot of fun to play around w/ & they have it up on a telnet server for anyone to connect to, uses open street map data.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Assuming 4.0 gets adopted for consumers at all; PCIe 5.0 is still scheduled for Q2 2019 spec finalisation, so except for areas where there is an actual demand for more bandwidth (e.g. networking) PCIe 3.0 may stick around until then. 5.0 also still only has PHY backward compatibility as 'targeted', so it may also involve a change in slot type that may be unpopular if it follows a new version only a year or two before.

Personally I'm more hoping that OCuLink might gain more widespread adoption and we might finally be able to ditch the on-board card-edge connector. That would make dramatic layout changes far easier than the current need for ribbon risers.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If PCIe 5.0 requires a new physical connector, I would expect motherboard and add-in card manufacturers to be more willing to jump to PCIe 4.0 first.
Here's hoping that if they do jump on the 5.0 bandwagon from the start, they'll rethink the power infrastructure as well, utilizing 36 or 48V as a base voltage and get rid of the ancient ATX power spec once and for all. Because if you'd need a new motherboard for a new GPU, I could just as well get a new PSU and be set for a more modern standard.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'd love to see a move to 48V across the board, but to do that would need a completely clean break from ATX, not just in connector form-factor (as with switching to an all-12V design, where passive adapters would allow the use of existing ATX supplies and existing add-in cards) but a total lack of cross-compatibility and backward-compatibility. A one-two-three punch of new motherboards and CPUs, new GPUs, and a new card interface arriving simultaneously could do it, but ALL of those new parts would need to be a significant enough improvement from their predecessors to offset the huge all-at-once capital outlay and justify not being able to 'get by' with incremental upgrades. That would take a lot of industry co-operation to pull off, and even if Intel have the grunt to push out new from-factors for their own parts, that may just end up like BTX if its reliant on independent manufacturers also taking it up. Even the move from AGP to PCIe had some opportunity for cross-compatible parts (e.g. boards with both slots) which would almost certainly not be possible with a move to 48V (having double sets of VRMs would be both extremely expensive, and likely take up too much board area for GPUs and ITX boards).

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Watched Thor. Seems like everyone's started to use disused footage for trailers ._.
Now going back to watching the trailer and I'm going all "did they reshoot that or did they really CG/roto over a rope net?!"

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Watched Thor. Seems like everyone's started to use disused footage for trailers ._.
Now going back to watching the trailer and I'm going all "did they reshoot that or did they really CG/roto over a rope net?!"
I like it that way, I severely dislike seeing a trailer that shows most important plot points of a movie. Just as long as the trailer portrays the atmosphere and direction of the film itself.

Example of Too Much Info:

Example of Just Right:

Generally I stick to teasers because many trailers are just movies revealing most of the plot without confirming it. But I want to be kept guessing or atleast be unsure of the plot.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
That looks really nice. I’ve made a personal decision to not buy any phone without a headphone jack, but this is very tempting.

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I like it that way, I severely dislike seeing a trailer that shows most important plot points of a movie. Just as long as the trailer portrays the atmosphere and direction of the film itself.
Yeah trailers for most movies of the past few years have just been summaries of the movie ._.

there's also the "trailer suggests an extremely different story than the actual movie" one. Maybe I take too much stock in my guesses from the trailer ._.