GPU Geforce 20 series (RTX) discussion thread (E: 2070 Review unbargo!)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
PNY XLR8

MSI Gaming X TRIO

MSI Duke

Gigabyte Gaming OC

they're all quite long ,_, (okay maybe not so much the gigabyte one. here's hoping there's a reference length one ,_,)

(EDIT: although I have to say I love MSI's Duke design ,_, if only they had a shorter version)

EDITx2: DVI IS FINALLY DEAD! POWERED DISPLAYPORT-C IS THERE!!!!!!! THANK YOU NVIDIA!!!! PORTABLE TYPE-C DISPLAY MASTER RACE WOO

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Gigabyte one looks shorter because it's wider at around 2.5 slots, the rest also have perspective settings making them look bigger I guess. We all know how most of the PC industry likes huge honking hardware.

What to me is surprising is the amount of 3-fan cards, the RT cores must generate additional heat that needs dissipating. So I wouldn't be surprised the cards don't generate the amount of heat expected at launch if there is no benchmark available that stresses the RT cores.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
What to me is surprising is the amount of 3-fan cards, the RT cores must generate additional heat that needs dissipating. So I wouldn't be surprised the cards don't generate the amount of heat expected at launch if there is no benchmark available that stresses the RT cores.
This could be. It is reported that Nvidia FE will use a dual fan design instead of a centrifugal fan design, possibly meaning more heat needs to be dissipated. And, of course, the other reason might be that Nvidia wants its FE cards to compete better with AIB cards.

And, it is interesting that Nvidia is releasing 2080Ti with 2080 instead of 2070 and 2080. I wonder what is the marketing rationale behind.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

The Palit is a 2 fan design. If you look at 10 series cards there are plenty of 3 fan designs. I think we are just seeing what several of these vendors are planning for their high end cards which will be 3 fan.

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
The Gigabyte one looks shorter because it's wider at around 2.5 slots, the rest also have perspective settings making them look bigger I guess. We all know how most of the PC industry likes huge honking hardware.

that I don't mind actually o_o the heatsink seems to be thinner than 2 slots, so the deshrouded mod might fit in the last slot in the Cerberus with 25mm thick fans

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Note: these are 10-series cards

I mean like they only need the surface area to accommodate the extra large heatsinks ._.
EDIT: also why wouldn't they use the backplate to hold the heatsinks too? instead of just being a... backing plate.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

This is from the Gigabyte but is said to be nVidias reference design output configuration. DVI is finally gone and has the addition of usb type C. The usb C is designed for VR headsets and includes 30w power and DP connection, wonder how that would work with all those usb C portable displays.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Asus strix (thanks @lhl!)

Asus wins in looks
at least in my books

Asus dual:

..... iiiii think that miiiiight be cutting it close?

EDIT: wait the fan blades on the Dual looks familiar o_o

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
d, it is interesting that Nvidia is releasing 2080Ti with 2080 instead of 2070 and 2080. I wonder what is the marketing rationale behind.

Pure speculation but with rumors of the 2080 falling between a 1080 and a 1080ti performance wise...Which if true makes the reprted 799 launch price of the 2080 too high as well. By a 1080ti for less.
Interesting to see where it all shakes out once reviews hit.

Need a new GPU available ASAP from the new series that is faster than the last series?!

Remember the 1080 was significantly faster than the 980ti. Not this time around I’m thinking.

Edit: price on the 2080 is actually worse than I thought!

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Considering the current prices of the 10 series I don't see spectacular sales of the 20 series, especially if it does not offer a significant performance increase.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Considering the current prices of the 10 series I don't see spectacular sales of the 20 series, especially if it does not offer a significant performance increase.
It’s a next gen. So it’s gonna be a big difference in performances. And yes unfortunately the prices are up in general. So they don’t have much choice then selling the new cards at a hugger Prince then the old ones. As they Always do

Last edited: