Gamer's Nexus received two review units for the Minisforum HX90 that were missing the advertised liquid metal. Minisforums claims on the HX90 webpage that the unit has liquid metal cooling for the APU. However, Gamer's Nexus, known for testing all manufacturing claims, found the metal missing. Moreover, they found liquid metal splattered onto the heatsink, motherboard, and other areas of the unit.

Screen Capture from the HX90 Website.

Gamer's Nexus notified Minisforum who sent a second review unit. It too was missing the liquid metal, and has lead to Gamer's Nexus not recommending the HX90. As the first user orders have been processed this has raised concerns on the quality of the HX90, and if it contains liquid metal cooling as advertised.

Additionally, Gamer's Nexus was unable to determine if there was actual carbon fiber in the plastic as advertised, but did determine that the woven portion on the exterior was just plastic molded.

Check out the video below:

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
What is funny...Jayz had just reviewed the HX90 and gave it a reccy. He did a follow up video modding the cooler with an external fan to get better performance...but he never tore it apart to check for the liquid metal advertised. Steve had him check--and he didn't have it either.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
What is funny...Jayz had just reviewed the HX90 and gave it a reccy. He did a follow up video modding the cooler with an external fan to get better performance...but he never tore it apart to check for the liquid metal advertised. Steve had him check--and he didn't have it either.

Sounds about right. Steve is extremely thorough, and as I’m learning, it’s easy to miss something in a review.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I watched Jays review of this and was impressed with the built in fan shroud. I didn't know about the claim of liquid metal but it is a bit worrying that there were splatters on the motherboard.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I watched Jays review of this and was impressed with the built in fan shroud. I didn't know about the claim of liquid metal but it is a bit worrying that there were splatters on the motherboard.

There were also numerous errors on the packaging material I didn't mention in the main article. Not sure what's going on with Minisforum but this doesn't bode well for them when these systems are becoming commonplace.

Reactions: rfarmer

jughead0

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2021
I've been getting a lot of vids about this PC in my YT recommendations over the past couple of weeks. Soyjack mouths and thumbs up all around. Should've known smth was fishy about it.

Reactions: riba2233

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Der8auer posted an update on this today, and it does seem like the retail units have (actually well-applied) liquid metal. Thermals look good. And according to the SEM analysis he ordered, the case has ... wait for it ... ~3% carbon fiber in its plastic. Yay? Not that it would have mattered either way, but at least that's cleared up. As long as you're fine with the gimmicky CF design (which was never going to be for anything but aesthetics anyhow), this looks pretty decent actually. Sending out review units without LM was pure idiocy though.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer