News GALAX Unveil single-slot GTX 1070 Katana

Pictures here
Single slot, blower cooler, appears to be based on an ITX-length PCB (though GALAX do not appear to be offering an ITX-length GTX 1070 at this time). Sadly the DVI port didn't get axed, so it has a paltry 1x DVI-D (not even DVI-I!), 1x DP, and 1x HDMI.

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
@Mortis Angelus I may have one for sale ;) not sure yet.
Still available in France for 420€. Used to be quite expensive but given the recent gold rush, it's pretty cheap !

Anyway, I have two of them and I have the same issue with both : the fan ramps up and stay stuck at 1600 RPM as soon as I land on the Windows 10 login window.
1600 RPM is pretty noisy ; could be worth though. Maybe a BIOS issue : I'm going to shoot an email to KFA2.

I'm going to water-cool them so it should solve the issue ;) a small French company is making custom waterblocks for cheaper than EK...

How did it go watercooling it? I have one too that I bought for a custom mod sff case with 2.65 cm clearance in height:cool: It performs great but the case mod is intended for htpc/retro games and is a tad too overkill. Building a gaming/workstation rig with
Phanteks Evolv itx and dual radiators would be more suitable for this slim monster.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@eiselx86 : the company I worked with was unable to produce a true single slot waterblock.
Took 6 months and two prototypes before I switched back to the EK Thermosphere !

I'm currently running two of them Katans in a bifurcated setup. The bottom one is soon to be put under water too (waiting for a custom riser).

BTW, the original blower stay stuck at 100% as soon as I enter Window. Do you have the same issue.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I can't promise it would work in your situation or that it wouldn't cause weird issues, but:

Folks have had success getting out of manufacturers 'limited' fan settings by switching to the BIOS of a similar card (another 1070 in your case) from a different manufacturer. IIRC @CubanLegend has successfully done this on a Pascal card.

Edit: To my knowledge, as long as you flash the BIOS correctly, the only issue you should run into is certain I/O ports may not work. If your card has different I/O than the card whose BIOS you're flashing to.

Last edited:

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
@aquelito

Looks cool! My fan does not speed up like that. How are yours configured? My card either follow the stock fan curve or MSI afterburner.

Going to use an AIO myself, nice
to see that the stock fan can be used. Got an extra Noctua 40mm fan if needed

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for your advices but it's under water now, no fan issue !

I have the same issue with the ASL low profile 1050 Ti though... Have got no luck with blowers...

Could it be that some sensor isn't reading properly? And is it at 100% all the time?

Will post my results when I'm done, got any tips before taking the card apart? Not alot of info regarding this card.

Cheers