News Colorful has a single-slot GTX 1660 Ti

Looks like we have a 1070 Katana killer. No idea when this card would come out. I wish single slot cards were available for lower TDP cards but this'll have to do for now I guess.

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Oh well, Superbuy it is :) DVI is depressing. Just put 4 mini DP on cards like these and call it a day. I know, I know, nVidia limits that to professional cards, one HDMI and three mini DP then :)

Reactions: Curiosity

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
Oh well, Superbuy it is :) DVI is depressing. Just put 4 mini DP on cards like these and call it a day. I know, I know, nVidia limits that to professional cards, one HDMI and three mini DP then :)
Mini DP, afaik, still has the Apple poison pill (w.r.t. patents and anti-lawsuit measures). That being said, if it was 4-5 USB-C in DP alt mode, I wouldn't complain, either :D

USB-C is slightly lower profile, too! More space for vents.

One HDMI and 3 DP sounds a lot like the current RTX cards (which technically have 4 DP, due to USB-C alt mode). So your dream of 4 DP compatible outputs in a consumer Nvidia card is already reality. :)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
single slot 1660ti: +like
wait, SINGLE SLOT 1660ti: -like +love

... 3 ports and one of them DVI: -love +like

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
NAF?

And using USB C ports to deliver video , that'd be superb. And mDP is not poisoned, AMD and nVidia used it on a lot of video cards. Check the NVS 810 for a relevant example which squeezed eight of 'em on the slot cover. https://legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/nvs-810-bracket.png
EDIT: Of course, without actual legal analysis, this is all just conjecture. But a conjectured poison pill is still something to avoid. Point is, I'm saying we shouldn't hold out explicit hope for mDP in 2019. Not when better alternatives exist. There are many good reasons why Public and Industry Standards Bodies are so dominant, and this is one of them.

Apple no longer publicly posts this document . But using Apple's patented mDP connector voids any right to sue Apple (or you cannot use mDP at all). Some may argue this is "par for the course," however, there is no need to sole-source a license through Apple if you don't have to.

Since USB-C already exists, no need to deal with Apple's licensing terms. mDP offers no advantages whatsoever over USB-C in DP Alt mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
What you can't do is sue Apple for patent infringement and even then it's not automatic... so... no, it's not poisoned.

And mDP can be better because it's DP++ ie you can add a passive HDMI adapter which you can't with USB C. Yes, if you want to run DisplayPort signals, it's the same but for HDMI 1.4, mDP is better.

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
What you can't do is sue Apple for patent infringement and even then it's not automatic... so... no, it's not poisoned.

And mDP can be better because it's DP++ ie you can add a passive HDMI adapter which you can't with USB C. Yes, if you want to run DisplayPort signals, it's the same but for HDMI 1.4, mDP is better.
So by taking the mDP poison pill, you have stated: Apple is free to use any and all of your patents. Yay, who will take that poison pill? Apple is notoriously difficult to work with and sue-happy. No reason to get entangled with them for the sole sake of an obsolescent connector.

mDP is not DP++, not at all. Not guaranteed, not required in the specification, and not enforced. It can have DP++, but that is same of any native DP connection. However, this only comes in play during the rare event someone wants to connect via HDMI, but insists on using an USB-C to DP adapter, then attaches a passive DP to HDMI adapter to that. By the time we get into discussions that involve daisy chaining two or more adapters, it becomes more of a "what if" speculation-fest.

Since HDMI-alt mode already exists, and Alt-mode controllers that work with HDMI-alt have existed since late 2017, it's basically a moot point. Even more moot when we consider that nearly every consumer card will have HDMI onboard, anyways.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Now this is getting really interesting! Which controllers and adapters support HDMI alt mode?

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
Now this is getting really interesting! Which controllers and adapters support HDMI alt mode?
Is it? :p TI and Cypress are the largest in the USB-C PMIC & Redriver market, the controllers are there (or on Mouser, if you are assembling a project).

As for cables, that ship has sailed. HDMI was a bit too-little-too-late in that market (not to mention, none of the redrivers/PMIC/controllers actually support selectable DP and HDMI passthrough, nor do any implement an internal DP --> HDMI LSPCon. This means system board integrators have to choose between DP-alt mode or HDMI alt-mode support for each USB-C port).

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
As far as I know, there's no PC, phone or laptop with HDMI Alt Mode support because there are no adapters on the market. That's what I was asking... do you know of any actual devices ?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Mini DP, afaik, still has the Apple poison pill (w.r.t. patents and anti-lawsuit measures). That being said, if it was 4-5 USB-C in DP alt mode, I wouldn't complain, either :D

USB-C is slightly lower profile, too! More space for vents.

One HDMI and 3 DP sounds a lot like the current RTX cards (which technically have 4 DP, due to USB-C alt mode). So your dream of 4 DP compatible outputs in a consumer Nvidia card is already reality. :)
Though may I ask, how do professional level cards such as the Radeon Pro WX5100 exist despite taking that pill? I am curious. I do like having more USB-C everything (need affordable USB-C monitors too).

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
They exist because the pill is inconsequential to most manufacturers and glow is making a mountain out of a molehill. They is also ranting about HDMI alt mode and even when I gently called them out then doubled down on despite there's nothing that actually supports it. But w/e, carry on.

Last edited:

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
They exist because the pill is inconsequential to most manufacturers and glow is making a mountain out of a molehill. They is also ranting about HDMI alt mode and even when I gently called them out then doubled down on despite there's nothing that actually supports it. But w/e, carry on.
Though may I ask, how do professional level cards such as the Radeon Pro WX5100 exist despite taking that pill? I am curious. I do like having more USB-C everything (need affordable USB-C monitors too).
Apple, the chair of the VESA group, AMD the vicechair? AMD, the company that is the sole and exclusive supplier of dGPUs to Apple? AMD has clearly shown they are willing to play to Apple's tune. As for Nvidia Quadro cards' use of mDP - Nvidia doesn't make the desktop Quadro cards. PNY does.

As for the other items, someone is just keen about mDP and desperately wants it. So much to the point of trying to veer a into discussion about HDMI modes for a DP connector. One would think they would get the point after their failed attempt at distracting the thread with DP++, but they have made a much darker play: attacking the commenter directly, instead of the content of the comments.

Last edited: