News GALAX Unveil single-slot GTX 1070 Katana

Pictures here
Single slot, blower cooler, appears to be based on an ITX-length PCB (though GALAX do not appear to be offering an ITX-length GTX 1070 at this time). Sadly the DVI port didn't get axed, so it has a paltry 1x DVI-D (not even DVI-I!), 1x DP, and 1x HDMI.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I watched the review and this is definitely a pretty cool card. Performs on par, doesn't over heat and isn't too load. If you designed a case to take advantage of a card like this I'm sure you could save a lot of space. The biggest issue I see is that you never know if another high end single slot model will come out in the future. Leaving an individual wanting to design a case around it without an upgrade path. If anyone does design around this post here so we can all see!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Do they usually measure cards? If not, I wonder who inspired that :p

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
If anyone does design around this post here so we can all see!
I've been thinking about it. My original concept for the Sidearm was actually something substantially smaller then where it went in that thread, and was much closer to the DAN A4 in size and layout. Seeing a new fairly high end single slot card has me itching to get back to that old concept and see just how small we can go. Galax seems to like to push these out every few years or so, but without compelling case options there doesn't seem to be much of a market for it. If we made a case that proved popular it could encourage manufacturers to release more single slot cards. We've got other projects on the table though currently, so we'll see.

Reactions: zovc

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Does anyone know if KFA2 have any plans on making another batch of these cards, or if they were a one-time deal?

Also, if we would take money out of the picture (which is not a reality, I know..), does anyone know how a Quadro P4000 compares to the GTX 1070 Katana? From what I can gather on the internet, the Quadro P4000 is actually weaker than the Katana (performance somewhere between a 1060 and 1070), or am I wrong? Should be cooler and quieter though...

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@Mortis Angelus I may have one for sale ;) not sure yet.
Still available in France for 420€. Used to be quite expensive but given the recent gold rush, it's pretty cheap !

Anyway, I have two of them and I have the same issue with both : the fan ramps up and stay stuck at 1600 RPM as soon as I land on the Windows 10 login window.
1600 RPM is pretty noisy ; could be worth though. Maybe a BIOS issue : I'm going to shoot an email to KFA2.

I'm going to water-cool them so it should solve the issue ;) a small French company is making custom waterblocks for cheaper than EK...