News GALAX Unveil single-slot GTX 1070 Katana

Pictures here
Single slot, blower cooler, appears to be based on an ITX-length PCB (though GALAX do not appear to be offering an ITX-length GTX 1070 at this time). Sadly the DVI port didn't get axed, so it has a paltry 1x DVI-D (not even DVI-I!), 1x DP, and 1x HDMI.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
What kind of fans are used in applications like this? Is it a fan or something else?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I'll translate the entire comments when the sun rises in my area later, but for now (as much as I read, with help from ctrl-f) it's mostly speculation in the comments (it got compared to the quadro m2000 single slot card, but:--)

Doesn't seem like anyone in the comments actually own the card anyway.

Reactions: zovc and aquelito

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I don't have a user at that site o_o

The review didn't mention noise levels at all. Also quite a bit of noise in the comments (comment #2 is literally "Can this be used as a knife for cooking?"), but here's some conversations to note (well, relatively at best):

还有不测测噪音吗?
Still no tests for noise?
风扇待机就1600RPM,满载2600RPM,这还用测吗,估计影驰也不允许小编测,给自己留块遮羞布 (a user has reported this comment)
Fan at idle 1600RPM, at load 2600PRM, still need to measure (for noise)? Probably GALAX didn't allow for fan noise measurements, just to cover it up.
我就问你,单槽不提高风扇转速,还有什么办法。不提别的,人家至少做出来了。比起那些三风扇的傻大粗显卡好多了
Here's my question: If you don't increase the fan speeds for single-slot cards, what else could one do (to reduce temps)? Nevermind what's already available, at least it's being made (and sold(?)). It's better than those three-fan stupid-thick cards.
你认为三风扇傻大粗其实说明你真没用过,那个散热是必须的不是摆设不过那些灯就是看瞎眼要喷一喷了,不要用公版宣传的TDP当作功耗来衡量非公版的发热能力。夏天分分钟都是80多度的
You calling it stupid-thick just goes to show you haven't used one, those heat dissipators (the heatsinks) are not for show, but those LEDs if it's too much on the eyes needs to be sprayed over (?!). Don't use the TDPs from the reference cards as actual power draw to estimate the thermal output of non-reference cards. It's 80 degrees in summer anyway.

不要那么武断,Quadro M2000也是单槽涡轮扇侧吹,开机默认转速就2000rpm,但是并没有什么声音。。。
Don't be so harsh, the Quadro M2000 is also a single-slot blower, the fans spin at about 2000RPM when it's on, but there's not much noise...

Comments also includes questions of the card ("does this have a backplate?"). Also (as of comment #36), no one actually owns the card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceros_X

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I don't have a user at that site o_o

The review didn't mention noise levels at all. Also quite a bit of noise in the comments (comment #2 is literally "Can this be used as a knife for cooking?"), but here's some conversations to note (well, relatively at best):

Comments also includes questions of the card ("does this have a backplate?"). Also (as of comment #36), no one actually owns the card.
Thanks the info, I'm not sure if I should throw in the towel and get a 1050 ti or wait for this.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I definitely wouldn't base my decisions just by that review alone. Gotta have to wait for more common review sites/channels with access to GALAX hardware to gauge noise levels and cooling efficiency. Have to temper expectations a little since it's a blower card that has to work harder to force the same amount of air through a smaller space, but yeah.

EDIT: Also the main mode of testing in the review is just fire strike.
EDITx2: yeah and heaven as well. No practical game or GPU renderer tests. It's marginally better than the 1070FE on firestrike in the review, but the question remains on whether it'd be louder that the FE or not

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceros_X

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
It's probably because it seems to have a metal shroud to maximize the copper heatsink's size.

BTW:

Finally seeing that heatsink answered so many questions for me on how the airflow is controlled and I gotta say it's really clever, and making me more excited for it!
Would be an awful design if you'd have the fan facing down though... So inb4 very varying test results depending on orientation.
Just a damm shame about the DP and HDMI ports.....