Concept FormD T1 V2.0

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Tempted to just house my upcoming build temporarily in an NR200 while awaiting the FormD P1 and Dancase C4, to see which is eventually the better SFF case with 280mm rad support.

IMO you can be like this forever... waiting for the next great case. Buy now whatever you like, build it, enjoy it and if something newer offers something different that appeals you, sell this one and buy another one... or stay with the first case... it´s going to be great anyway. but waiting for the next one... I respect this POV, but just don´t get it, it´s always going to be a next one, better, smaller or with better cooling.... so you´ll never be happy with your purchase.

Reactions: Madhawk1995

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
IMO you can be like this forever... waiting for the next great case. Buy now whatever you like, build it, enjoy it and if something newer offers something different that appeals you, sell this one and buy another one... or stay with the first case... it´s going to be great anyway. but waiting for the next one... I respect this POV, but just don´t get it, it´s always going to be a next one, better, smaller or with better cooling.... so you´ll never be happy with your purchase.

I think there’s an understandable desire to plan and execute a build from top to bottom. The challenge comes when major new tech cycles (CPUs, GPUs) fall out of phase with case releases. It leaves you stuck planing against a fuzzy future that might not arrive, or sitting tight until it does. Extreme space-optimized builds make the consequences of choosing poorly that much more dramatic.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I think there’s an understandable desire to plan and execute a build from top to bottom. The challenge comes when major new tech cycles (CPUs, GPUs) fall out of phase with case releases. It leaves you stuck planing against a fuzzy future that might not arrive, or sitting tight until it does. Extreme space-optimized builds make the consequences of choosing poorly that much more dramatic.

This is 100% it. Typically the smaller you go with SFF, the more you need to plan out all your parts and how they'll fit together. This makes changing builds harder down the line as what works best within the requirements of one case may not be the best option for another case.

That said, sometimes case releases don't line up with planning the rest of the build with new parts.

In this case, planning a build with current parts for the C4/P1, but building in an NR200P and transferring it later works out, since part compatibility lines up between the three for the most part.

In my case, I'm deciding between temporary build in the NR200P with hardware that I can easily move into something like the C4 or P1 in a year, or a build in a T1 that requires specific hardware and compromises that may not be needed (or be optimum) in the C4 or P1, and wouldn't transfer over if I changed cases. (Slim fans, grub screws, slim radiator, specific RAM, tubing, cpu blocks, etc.)

Last edited:

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Seeing as T1 is no longer enough to do a custom loop with the new 300W+ GPUs, we need P1 more than ever. 280mm rad should be plenty
It's hard and expensive but possible in T1 :D. There have been many dual-rad builds lately.
I think small, incremental changes to T1 or custom components (17mm high FPI rad, Freeflow, distro plate) can significantly improve its compatibility with current gen hardware.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
0.8L Smaller, More Modular (Optional Sandwich Layout, Optional Flipped Layout), Comes with PCIE 4.0 Riser, Sleeker (Subjective)

You can find out more here.

OK, so it is indeed an M1 then. Pictures say it all. Same everything, 7 years later.

Which is not to say that it will be a bad case or anything, as the M1 pretty much placed the SFF industry on its toes, by itself... but we should name things for what they are, shouldn't we?

PS: which is which?

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
OK, so it is indeed an M1 then. Pictures say it all. Same everything, 7 years later.

Which is not to say that it will be a bad case or anything, as the M1 pretty much placed the SFF industry on its toes, by itself... but we should name things for what they are, shouldn't we?

PS: which is which?

The case on top is a C4, the case on the bottom is an M1.

Not sure why you're derailing this thread with this - that's a prototype of the C4 anyway.

Not to mention the C4 supports sandwich layout, flipped orientation, larger/more hardware (280mm rad vs 240, two top 120mm slim fans, etc.), in a smaller footprint.

Heck, Dan has even credited Ncere (creator of the M1) with the AIO bracket concept that you're whining about being the same:

So again, this thread is about the P1, and if you want to whine about this, either PM me or have the guts to do it in the DAN C4 SFX thread, where it's on-topic.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020

2020-12-25: making P1 look and feature into T1 V2.0​

I need to redesign the T1 to increase yield.

So I might just merge the P1 function into T1 V2.0.
So 280mm rad, vertical mode, etc all present? What other features will transfer? And what will be cut?

JinJuu

Efficiency Noob
Jun 15, 2020

2020-12-25: making P1 look and feature into T1 V2.0​

I need to redesign the T1 to increase yield.

So I might just merge the P1 function into T1 V2.0.

Very interesting. That would probably mean increasing the case dimensions? Fitting a 280 rad don't seem possible with the current layout...

I'm guessing this is where the inspiration for a vertical stand came from as well. So that means OG V2 = horizontal P1, and V2 + vertical stand = vertical P1? Will you be doing a complete redesign of T1 for V2, or using the current P1 design and dimensions for T1 V2?

Excited to see how this goes. Happy Holidays, hope all the issues with T1 resolve well.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Very interesting. That would probably mean increasing the case dimensions? Fitting a 280 rad don't seem possible with the current layout...

I'm guessing this is where the inspiration for a vertical stand came from as well. So that means OG V2 = horizontal P1, and V2 + vertical stand = vertical P1? Will you be doing a complete redesign of T1 for V2, or using the current P1 design and dimensions for T1 V2?

Excited to see how this goes. Happy Holidays, hope all the issues with T1 resolve well.

I have to break T1 backwards compatibility to increase yield, so might as well merge P1 in there.

T1 was designed for a small one time batch in one color, so the problems in production are reflective of the design choices that was never intended for production. The T1 V1.1 design has been stretched way beyond its intended purpose.

One case can have multiple looks and multiple dimensions right.

I think in parts, so you can turn the T1 V2.0 into P1 concept if you want to switch some parts.

It makes dimensions and sizes fluid.