Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018

2022-08-20 Update: Introducing the T1-REF HF (high flow).​

A recent review has created thermal anxiety for the T1-REF compared to the T1-SW. So we are making a new T1-REF HF variant to close the thermal gap.

The main change is that one of the two Top | Bottom Panel has a *removable acrylic mesh insert. This allows for more airflow. Also, when the acrylic mesh insert is removed, the extra spacing allows for thicker GPUs in the T1-REF and an unobstructed view of the GPU. We are waiting for the prototype in the coming weeks and will update you guys on the thermal improvements once we have data.

To further improve the thermals on T1-REF, a 92mm fan can be installed next to the GPU by downloading the 3D file T1-REF GPU Fan Bracket (https://formdworks.com/products/3d-print-files).

I bought my T1 v2.0 a few weeks ago...am I still eligible to get the modified top / bottom panels?

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
Ended up pulling the trigger on a sandwich model, how quick is shipping to the US (East Coast?) normally? Hoping to have it in time for Intel 13th gen launch, but with the shipping window being 10/01 - 10/15, and these being shipped from Taiwan.. I have a feeling I may be building on a test bench until it gets here. 😅

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Ended up pulling the trigger on a sandwich model, how quick is shipping to the US (East Coast?) normally? Hoping to have it in time for Intel 13th gen launch, but with the shipping window being 10/01 - 10/15, and these being shipped from Taiwan.. I have a feeling I may be building on a test bench until it gets here. 😅
Once it ships, it takes 1-3 weeks to get to you.

Reactions: murderbymodem

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
Hello, could anyone explain to me where exactly the 3D printed gpu fan bracket for the ref case would be installed?
Here is album with 2 pics, the first (with the red arrow) is W360's pic indicating where it would be installed (not visible in the pic), the second is from a user on the Discord showing it off. You might also be interested in this Reddit post, you can friction fit 2 90mm fans next to each other instead.

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
A bit of an odd question here: would it be possible to install an oversized card into the T1-REF HF (or just the T1-REF with inverted layout), if the side and/or the top panel were to be removed? (A semi-open configuration of sorts.)

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
A bit of an odd question here: would it be possible to install an oversized card into the T1-REF HF (or just the T1-REF with inverted layout), if the side and/or the top panel were to be removed? (A semi-open configuration of sorts.)
The hollow top panel already allows for thicker GPUs, and if you remove the side panel and, if needed, the side strut wider should fit too. You're hotrodding the parts either way though, might as well just get the sandwich layout at that point.

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
The hollow top panel already allows for thicker GPUs, and if you remove the side panel and, if needed, the side strut wider should fit too. You're hotrodding the parts either way though, might as well just get the sandwich layout at that point.
Fair enough, but I likely would be "hot-rodding" the sandwich as well, since I'd prefer a larger heat sink over an AIO with a (potentially) noisy pump.

Would it be safe to assume that a wider/taller card won't fit the T1-REF with the side strut installed?

Last edited:

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
Fair enough, but I likely would be "hot-rodding" the sandwich as well, since I'd prefer a larger heat sink over an AIO with a (potentially) noisy pump.

Would it be safe to assume that a wider/taller card won't fit the T1-REF with the side strut installed?
It'll depend, I've not seen it done so I can't say for sure, sorry.

Reactions: Aluminyum

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
In a quest to find an M1 replacement, I researched the FormD's reference kit. And um... well there appears to be a huge gaping hole in the back of the case that's there by design, and as a result the power cord extension is exposed. There is a file you can download to 3D print your own back panel. Maybe I'm crazy but I think it should just be included in the reference kit as a separate machined piece, even if it adds $20 to the cost, I think it's justified. Otherwise it looks a little silly imo, when I spend $175 on a case, I do expect it to actually enclose my build on all sides.

Or maybe offer it as a separate piece to buy, and you can integrate the Type C port into it, maybe even a couple of Type A ports and a larger power button. I just think there has to be some option for that giant hole to be covered other than 3D print your own.

Also, will the acrylic top/bottom now be the default? I hope there will be an option to get the normal aluminum panel for those who don't like the look of the acrylic. The images on the website only show the acrylic now.

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
In a quest to find an M1 replacement, I researched the FormD's reference kit. And um... well there appears to be a huge gaping hole in the back of the case that's there by design, and as a result the power cord extension is exposed. There is a file you can download to 3D print your own back panel. Maybe I'm crazy but I think it should just be included in the reference kit as a separate machined piece, even if it adds $20 to the cost, I think it's justified. Otherwise it looks a little silly imo, when I spend $175 on a case, I do expect it to actually enclose my build on all sides.

Or maybe offer it as a separate piece to buy, and you can integrate the Type C port into it, maybe even a couple of Type A ports and a larger power button. I just think there has to be some option for that giant hole to be covered other than 3D print your own.

Also, will the acrylic top/bottom now be the default? I hope there will be an option to get the normal aluminum panel for those who don't like the look of the acrylic. The images on the website only show the acrylic now.
It's a common point of contention and I fully understand, W360 has given their reasoning before (this was before 4000 series was released):

Yes, the back frame on the T1-REF is open, there is no cover, and there are two reasons: 1. C14S cooler on Aorus X570I / B550I mobo compatibility 2. Thermals, closing the back will impact thermals substantially. When you build <10L, the hot components are close to each other, so every bit counts. With 40XX coming in hotter, we decided to keep it open. We know the opening on the back is going to bother some people. We will release a 3D print STL file for the rear cover, then people can get creative on making a rear cover.

The acrylic mesh top/bottom panel is standard for the T1 Reference HF, the regular Reference will keep the normal top/bottom panel.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Ok fair enough. It doesn't have to be closed, it can be vented with giant holes (like in the sandwich kit) that won't make a difference for airflow but will look better.

I get that it can help with C14S compatibility in some cases. I think at minimum the power extension connector should be covered and you can also get creative with I/O integration, e.g. have holes that can be used with an optional dual USB 3.0 connector for additional ports.

yuzhongliang22

Efficiency Noob
Nov 30, 2020
Hello, will 4090 FE fit in T1 1.0? Do I have to replace my old case?
I know 4090 FE is 1mm thicker than T1's recommend size (60 vs 61), but has anyone tried that?

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
Hello, will 4090 FE fit in T1 1.0? Do I have to replace my old case?
I know 4090 FE is 1mm thicker than T1's recommend size (60 vs 61), but has anyone tried that?
The v1.1 can fit a 4090 FE, the 1.0 is very rare but is the same as the v1.1 GPU support wise. I do expect the 4090 to do a little better in the v2 compared to the v1.1, but should still be totally fine.