Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Didn’t you say earlier that the remaining 50% (which includes the E-White ordered by me) were already produced and are simply withheld by the manufacturer? Or haven’t these been inspected for defects yet?

Not inspected, and a lot of E-White in that pile.

Reactions: DrHudacris

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
oh whaaaa...the white one was stunning tho :(

can you take all the time in the world to make it happen? I don't mind waiting months, but please don't drop it :(

anothernoob

Cable Smoosher
Oct 12, 2020
We rejected 75% of the E-White as defects, this is one of the *main reason our deal with manufacturers blew up - the defect rate is insane.

Unlike mechanical keyboard cases with a relatively flat surface, without numerous perforations. E-White Top/Bottom Panel and Front SquareLid is a nightmare in production.

Only a few E-White actually shipped.

We might have to dump E-White and convince all you guys to either cancel or maybe paint it white and offer a partial refund.
Echoing others opinions, it's a shame that the E-White might have to go! Thank you for the update though, I think we can all agree that we appreciate the updates and transparency.

Really cool to hear the manufacturing process. That's an interesting bit of knowledge knowing the E-White had to be downscaled to accommodate the thickness of the white coloring. The coloring is stunning and would be really neat to see continued, but if the reject rate is that high, I can understand why it might need to be retired. (As someone who ordered E-White, hoping for the best! If not, I am okay switching).

Happy to see that you've found another manufacturer and are "grinding away the problem". Hopefully you won't have to eat the costs of those cases that the other manufacturer withheld...

Reactions: rfarmer

OdinsPlayground

Efficiency Noob
Sep 4, 2020
Glad to see some good news as well. Really hoping this will move the production along. Waiting on a silver case myself for the December 1-4 batch.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Will those who ordered the white model be contacted seperately with their options for their orders, or do they have the same options as the previous email?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
2020-12-16: EOL for E-White and Gunmetal, introducing anodized Titanium color.

* from left to right: Black, Gunmetal, Titanium

* from top to bottom: Silver, Titanium, Gunmetal, Black

In light of the problems we had and still having, FormD team has to be more conservative with colors, to increase yields and thus ship on time.

E-White color is at 25% passing rate, it's impossible to make E-White at our current scale (maybe next year Q3). We plan to stop making E-White and notify the customers ASAP.

Gunmetal color we picked is uncommon, which turned out to be difficult to color match compare to other colors, so we will also discontinue this color to increase our yield.

We are introducing Titanium color, it's a new color that replaces Gunmetal.

Last edited:

Spressa

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 20, 2020
I also ordered an e-white as part of the dec 1-4 shipping group.

E-white is a nightmare to work with and even though it carries a premium in the keyboard community, it doesn't hold up as well compared to anodized - it's just really pretty.

I know that usually e-white gets defective because it comes out more yellow than white in the process and then color matching becomes super difficult. Trust me guys, if you guys have mismatched white panels, it'll irk you like crazy.

Is there any thing they can do with the rejected cases? With it being electrophoretic, I think painting over it also doesn't hold up very well right?

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
@Wahaha360

the new colors look cool. My only wish is that you guys get some matching colored mesh panels or matching alu panels to go along with it.
I really want to order the silver or Titanium, but it just looks a bit off with the black mesh panels for matching purposes.

Reactions: Madhawk1995

ManaNeko

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2020
Gunmetal color we picked is uncommon, which turned out to be difficult to color match compare to other colors, so we will also discontinue this color to increase our yield.

Wait, so are you discontinuing gunmetal after the November batches or are you scraping it before even going into production?

FabulousCupcake

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 13, 2020
In light of the problems we had and still having, FormD team has to be more conservative with colors, to increase yields and thus ship on time.

E-White color is at 25% passing rate, it's impossible make E-White at our current scale (maybe next year Q3). We plan to stop making E-White and notify the customers ASAP.

It's pretty obvious that unfulfilled e-white and gunmetal orders will get an option to pick one of the 3 colors; will unfulfilled black/silver orders get the option to do the same?

The photo is quite blurry and has a lot of jpeg artifacts, but I kinda like how the titanium looks over the black one now 👀

Matty88

Case Bender
New User
Dec 16, 2020
@Wahaha360

With the new manufacturer, are you expecting more pre-order slots next month ?

Keen to get one ordered, in titanium would be great, if they are ready by then 😀

Asuka4Laifu

Chassis Packer
Dec 12, 2020
Sad to see both the E-white and gunmetal options go!

I placed an order for the gunmetal T1 (December batch), would I have to pick between the newer colors since it's been discontinued?

If so picking between titanium and plain black will be difficult!

clementj

Efficiency Noob
Apr 23, 2020
Nice ! That’s some really good news ! I knew i can trust you !

if i have an order (older 28-31 batch) for dual tone do i need to change the color ?

i’m really glad you working out the problem with great success!

nosimp

Case Bender
New User
Dec 16, 2020
@Wahaha360

First of all, thanks for the open communication with users in the forum.

I wonder that if its still possible to get left or remaining 25% of white batch? If not, what is the next step to apply for color changing and expected shipping date for the updated order?

Reactions: BRSxIgnition