Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

stanleyguan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 18, 2020
Thank you.

I finally installed the fansssss.

Cable management is a disaster. It is definitely not as clean as fabio's tx120 ( ? ).
Ran a quick test and got 3~4C improvement @30% PWM (~3k RPM, which has similar noise level of full speed a12x15)
Will have more tests when I have time.

The other side is still good.

Very cool! Is the 3~4C improvement compared to only TX240 or just without fans?

devolv

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2020
Got around to building mines today, been having some real trouble with cable management though. Really struggling to get the AIO tubes and the 24 pin cable to be flat enough. It also doesn't help that the pump is powered by SATA and I don't have a singular SATA power cable, only the daisy chain type.
Mount the PSU upside down with the power cable at the bottom, use the brass spacers to push the PSU outward to create more space behind the PSU, tuck the AIO tubes and PSU cables behind that new space. Rotate those CPU Block fittings so one is going down, one is going up. Do the power cables afterward for better cable management.

Reactions: DrHudacris

ciaran clare

Average Stuffer
Jul 28, 2020
Thank you.

Cable management is a disaster. It is definitely not as clean as fabio's tx120 ( ? ).
Ran a quick test and got 3~4C improvement @30% PWM (~3k RPM, which has similar noise level of full speed a12x15)

i am both amazed and horrified at the same time. You said 3-4 degree difference from passive radiator to radiator with fans, what is the difference between JUST the TX240 and then the TX240 plus the 2nd radiator with fans? It seems like an awfull amount of effort for a few degrees.

Reactions: ellroy80

laplamgor

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2019
i am both amazed and horrified at the same time. You said 3-4 degree difference from passive radiator to radiator with fans, what is the difference between JUST the TX240 and then the TX240 plus the 2nd radiator with fans? It seems like an awfull amount of effort for a few degrees.
It is a lot of effort for a lot of fun. Temp is just a bonus.

I didnt test it without the rad but believe the passive rad in this setup is at best 1C improvement over just the tx240.

BTW those 4020s max out at 8k rpm if you really want the performance and hearing loss.

• Haha

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Awesome! How did you make it work?

Sanded down the frame of the fan! It's easy on Kaze flex because the corners empty. So it's just the 4 straight edges, and the small plastic "nubs" in the 4 corners. Gains about 2-2.5mm clearance.

But sad news: for the Kaze Flex PWM, which max out at 1200RPM, coolant temps hit critical 60C! These are available up to 2000 RPM but are DC only.

rarskies

Caliper Novice
Apr 12, 2020

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. Your eyes do not deceive you.
The mythical 25mm x 2 on top? What are the chances on squeezing a thin noctua underneath? ;)

Thank you.

This is just so good, power to the 40mm noctua fans!

TSOF

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2020
Except airflow does mater quite a bit. If you can't effectively remove the hot air from the system and effectively draw in cool air at the same time, then the cooling will be much, much worse. Airflow is what drives cooling, if you don't have airflow, you have no cooling, and with a high TDP chip like the 3090/80, airflow is even more important.
Airflow isn’t just where the fans are pointed - pressure is just as important.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
This has reassured my ideas i posted earlier in the thread about going 2-slot 3080 FE for the T1.

Tell you what guys, 3080 AIB designs are a big red flag for the T1 currently.
All the AIB i have seen so far have an exhaust in the back PCB, EVGA, MSI, Asus, etc. And since none of them fit in T1 in 2-slot mode, you'll have to configure the case for 3-slot. What happens then? No air gap between that back exhaust and PSU.

3080 FE is currently, in my opinion, the best fit for T1 case.
I believe we will have to wait and see.
I think 3 slot AIB cards will still cool better or almost the same as the FE in 2 slot mode with the PSU spaced away from it to give the back fan room to exhaust the heat. Plus, in 3 slot mode the AIB cards won't need the space behind the PSU because they use traditional means of exhausting heat, with little to no air going through the card.
Either way, I'm interested to see how it will work out, and I am rooting for the FE to work best, because it's the best looking 30 series card by far. I would test it myself, but I aint made out of money. If anyone wants to "donate" their cards or money to me so I can test this hypothesis that would be great.
Mount the PSU upside down with the power cable at the bottom, use the brass spacers to push the PSU outward to create more space behind the PSU, tuck the AIO tubes and PSU cables behind that new space. Rotate those CPU Block fittings so one is going down, one is going up. Do the power cables afterward for better cable management.
OP is in 3 slot mode so the spacers are not an option. I recommended OP on reddit to rotate the pump 180 degrees so the tubes fit perfectly, and the PSU can stay the way it is now (flipped). I ran a very similar setup to OP, so if they follow what I did they will be fine.
Airflow isn’t just where the fans are pointed - pressure is just as important.
I highly doubt the FE fans can make enough pressure to make up for how small of an air gap the exhaust has. I just don't see it working, as nvidia designed their cooling solution around airflow, and blocking off one of the fans is a great way to ruin that cooling solution. Spacing the PSU and having some fans at the top of the case should fix this though

Nhilros

Chassis Packer
Jan 4, 2020
I believe we will have to wait and see.
I think 3 slot AIB cards will still cool better or almost the same as the FE in 2 slot mode with the PSU spaced away from it to give the back fan room to exhaust the heat. Plus, in 3 slot mode the AIB cards won't need the space behind the PSU because they use traditional means of exhausting heat, with little to no air going through the card.
Either way, I'm interested to see how it will work out, and I am rooting for the FE to work best, because it's the best looking 30 series card by far. I would test it myself, but I aint made out of money. If anyone wants to "donate" their cards or money to me so I can test this hypothesis that would be great.

But that's the thing, it looks like all AIB have back PCB exhaust and even promote a similar solution to Nvidia (but they all look badly engineered in my opinion)

Reviews can't come soon enough.

Reactions: ellroy80

devolv

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2020
OP is in 3 slot mode so the spacers are not an option. I recommended OP on reddit to rotate the pump 180 degrees so the tubes fit perfectly, and the PSU can stay the way it is now (flipped). I ran a very similar setup to OP, so if they follow what I did they will be fine.

Right, I noticed that afterward, Probably not a good idea to run 3 slot mode if he's running an 120mm AIO. I'm curious what he's running for the GPU that requires that additional space.

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
But that's the thing, it looks like all AIB have back PCB exhaust and even promote a similar solution to Nvidia (but they all look badly engineered in my opinion)

Reviews can't come soon enough.

MSI ventus doesnt have the holes in the backplate. Might be one of the few. I wonder if that is better or worse with the T1.

ciaran clare

Average Stuffer
Jul 28, 2020
MSI ventus doesnt have the holes in the backplate. Might be one of the few. I wonder if that is better or worse with the T1.
Ok so when it comes to partners cards, having a hole in the back plate should not negatively impact thermals as if that hole is blocked due to the psu, the card will just exhaust normally like normal cards, HOWEVER this is not the same for the reference, for the reference card the fin stack looks to be completely surrounded (by metal or plastic) this is so the only way air CAN go is through the hole in the backplate, if that hole is blocked then that heat cannot escape.

i wouldn't worry about partner cards having a hole in the back plate as they should perform decently regardless, however if a card is designed ENTIRELY on all the air escaping through that hole like the reference, then id be cautious

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Sanded down the frame of the fan! It's easy on Kaze flex because the corners empty. So it's just the 4 straight edges, and the small plastic "nubs" in the 4 corners. Gains about 2-2.5mm clearance.

But sad news: for the Kaze Flex PWM, which max out at 1200RPM, coolant temps hit critical 60C! These are available up to 2000 RPM but are DC only.

Man! You should get the 1800 PMW!! Or the Arctic P12 PMW ?