Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

milica

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2019
It's looking rough out there for single slim 240mm loops ?

With this card you're probably better off with an AMD CPU and hoping that the GPU has undervolting headroom.

Reactions: Madhawk1995

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
A back-of-an-envelope calculation:-
GPU = 350W
CPU = 10900K (forget the PL1 and PL2 and just say, 200W)
Total = 550W

A thick 240mm rad (say, EK CoolStream XE 240, which is 60mm thick, FPI = 16) with high fan speed (say, 1850 rpm) in both push+pull configuration can only handle 350W (10C Delta).

So, it is unlikely a thin slim 240 rad can handle a higher tier CPU plus this monster card.

Just a very rough estimate.
It's looking rough out there for single slim 240mm loops ?

With this card you're probably better off with an AMD CPU and hoping that the GPU has undervolting headroom.
yeah I'm wondering if the FormD P1 would be the smarter choice for future proofing now lol

Remember that this is heat wattage is dependent on coolant Delta (coolant temp subtracting ambient temp). What's that mean?

That means at 30C Delta the radiator mentioned at that fan speed can handle 1050 watts of heat.

So the question is, how high can you take your delta? Well the pumps will typically start to become damaged at coolant temps of 60C, so advised to keep coolant 50C or below to allow for a safety margin. Then, what is your ambient temp? 50-ambient is your delta.

Once you've got that you can calculate how much your radiator can handle.

Check out Xtremerigs and thermal bench for radiator performance values (but do keep in mind these are open air radiators).

Edit: forgot to mention, you can convert the values given for larger radiators to get a rough estimate for 249 radiators. For 360 to 240 multiply by 2/3. For 480 to 240 multiply by half.

Last edited:

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
A back-of-an-envelope calculation:-
GPU = 350W
CPU = 10900K (forget the PL1 and PL2 and just say, 200W)
Total = 550W

A thick 240mm rad (say, EK CoolStream XE 240, which is 60mm thick, FPI = 16) with high fan speed (say, 1850 rpm) in both push+pull configuration can only handle 350W (10C Delta).

So, it is unlikely a thin slim 240 rad can handle a higher tier CPU plus this monster card.

Just a very rough estimate.

but you would never use 100% cpu and gpu constantly in real world :)
only in benchmark.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris and TSOF

vusun123

Average Stuffer
Jul 10, 2020
only in benchmark.

Here's the thing, I play CSGO on the 10900K and 2080 Super using one single EK Coolstream SE 240 in a full loop. The CPU constantly hits 94-95 degrees despite undervolting both CPU and GPU, so it's possible to overload this radiator. I swapped out the CPU for a 10700K and the CPU temp went down to 81 degrees, much better thermal there

Reactions: Madhawk1995

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
only in benchmark.

You may not, but I certainly do. I run Folding at Home on my GPU and CPU all the time when I'm not gaming or working, and F@H maxes out the CPU and the GPU.
Not not mention the games that I play that use 90% of my CPU and 99% of my GPU, or when I render on both the CPU and GPU. Everyone's use cases are different, so I believe having sufficient cooling for all components running at 100% is a must. Plus, if you do that, you'll get better temps for the situations when you don't use 100% of the CPU and GPU.
One way to potentially get around the thermal limit of a single 240 radiator is to heavily downvolt the components. It might not be enough to get good temps and quiet noise levels, but it'll be closer than running them both at stock.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Here's the thing, I play CSGO on the 10900K and 2080 Super using one single EK Coolstream SE 240 in a full loop. The CPU constantly hits 94-95 degrees despite undervolting both CPU and GPU, so it's possible to overload this radiator. I swapped out the CPU for a 10700K and the CPU temp went down to 81 degrees, much better thermal there

To be honest, it's not possible to know the full story if we don't know the coolant temp, fan speed, and ambient temp.

vusun123

Average Stuffer
Jul 10, 2020
To be honest, it's not possible to know the full story if we don't know the coolant temp, fan speed, and ambient temp.
Fan speed set to max (Arctic P12 PWM version, 1800RPM), ambient temp is 28C, I'm not sure how to get the coolant temp as I'm running a custom loop, not an AIO with software control

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Fan speed set to max (Arctic P12 PWM version, 1800RPM), ambient temp is 28C, I'm not sure how to get the coolant temp as I'm running a custom loop, not an AIO with software control
You should definitely consider adding a temp sensor to your loops. As the heat dissipation of your loop is directly related to coolant temp minus ambient. It would also alert to you critical coolant temp of 60C which will damage your pump. Component temps are just a facsimile of what your coolant is doing.

FischOderAal

Average Stuffer
Apr 15, 2020
In the end I opted to go for Gunmetal. After having so many black cases I wanted to try something else. Wifey asked what was wrong with the NCASE. Oh well. Had to buy her a new hat to compensate :)

You should definitely consider adding a temp sensor to your loops. As the heat dissipation of your loop is directly related to coolant temp minus ambient. It would also alert to you critical coolant temp of 60C which will damage your pump. Component temps are just a facsimile of what your coolant is doing.

Speaking of which. Any recommendation for inline temperature sensors for a Quadro? The usual scumbags did only seem to have some for reservoirs.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019

I had a slim fan left over, so I thought I'd find a use for it. It fits perfectly between my 2 slot GPU and the side panel in 3 slot mode!

Rear M.2 thermals are down anywhere from 10c to 15c! The GPU is also anywhere from 3-6c cooler! The fan is at a fixed 1100 RPM. It would also seem that the CPU is a bit cooler (down anywhere from 2-6c), because the GPU is not as hot. I should have done this sooner!

Last edited:

zaskaraska

Cable Smoosher
Nov 9, 2019
Yes, it just means they haven't shipped it yet. Did you pre-order or did you get into one of the friday drops? Because if you pre-ordered it will stay unfulfilled for a while because the case has not been made yet. If you got into one of the friday drops, give it a week or two, and if it hasn't been updated, contact support.
I pre-orderered, so I have to wait. Thanks for the reply!

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019

that's weird, in my dan case with 92mm aio, amd 3900x and 5700xt I'm getting over 400fps ac 240hz monitor in csgo.
my temps are just over 70c
but I do not use gpu at fullest.

hoping to utilise full potential when I finish my t1 case build.

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
You may not, but I certainly do. I run Folding at Home on my GPU and CPU all the time when I'm not gaming or working, and F@H maxes out the CPU and the GPU.
Not not mention the games that I play that use 90% of my CPU and 99% of my GPU, or when I render on both the CPU and GPU. Everyone's use cases are different, so I believe having sufficient cooling for all components running at 100% is a must. Plus, if you do that, you'll get better temps for the situations when you don't use 100% of the CPU and GPU.
One way to potentially get around the thermal limit of a single 240 radiator is to heavily downvolt the components. It might not be enough to get good temps and quiet noise levels, but it'll be closer than running them both at stock.

well, it's time for peltier plate cooler introduction.
:)

Venomazz

Case Bender
New User
Aug 22, 2020
Does anyone have experience with the Alphacool Eisdecke DDC pump top? The dimensions should be the same as the Magic Cube.
I consider using the top with a DDC310, but I have often read about poor quality Alphacool products.
An alternative would be the DDC-1T Plus PWM but do I necessarily have to use a 4-pin Molex connector? I would like to avoid squeezing in more cables.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Does anyone have experience with the Alphacool Eisdecke DDC pump top? The dimensions should be the same as the Magic Cube.
I consider using the top with a DDC310, but I have often read about poor quality Alphacool products.
An alternative would be the DDC-1T Plus PWM but do I necessarily have to use a 4-pin Molex connector? I would like to avoid squeezing in more cables.

I used a EK-DDC 3.2 which I rewired to be supplied from the 4 pin on my motherboard (Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI).

The motherboard has hybrid fan headers that can support up to 24W, the pump is rated at 18W. Check what fan headers your motherboard has and rewire to use the 4 pin?

Reactions: DrHudacris