FormD T1 - 9.5L with UNLIMITED space!! - 3950X+64GB Ram+2GPUs - TITAN V FULL watercooled+TITAN RTX!! Fill the void 2.0

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
Soooo apparently even the founders RTX 3090 should "technically" fit (<1mm of clearance), so when can we expect the install @fabio? Sept 25th?

Hahaha
Depends on NVIDIA!! Not sure if I want to go for the 3080 though or wait a bit for a 3080 ti?? with 20GB?? In any case seems to be a jump compared to my Titan RTX, apart for the RAM. I am curious to see WHAT makes the 3090 so HUGE compared to the 3080 though... On specs, 30W more only doesn't justify the giant cooler!

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Depends on NVIDIA!! Not sure if I want to go for the 3080 though or wait a bit for a 3080 ti?? with 20GB?? In any case seems to be a jump compared to my Titan RTX, apart for the RAM. I am curious to see WHAT makes the 3090 so HUGE compared to the 3080 though... On specs, 30W more only doesn't justify the giant cooler!
I think the size of the cooler is just to make it look like the big dick product it really is, it's supposed to be overkill and they really want to convey that.
It could also be so they could add room on the PCB for all that vram. That wouldn't increase the thickness of the cooler, but it would increase the height of the GPU at least.

Reactions: thelaughingman

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
I think the size of the cooler is just to make it look like the big dick product it really is, it's supposed to be overkill and they really want to convey that.
It could also be so they could add room on the PCB for all that vram. That wouldn't increase the thickness of the cooler, but it would increase the height of the GPU at least.
Indeed!
And also, how is it possible that these cards have so many cuda cores?? the A100 that has a BIGGER Die, has only 6000+ Cuda cores, and is it a 7nm process.
I am super excited though!

• Wow
Reactions: DrHudacris

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019

This for sure...the leaked PCB showed RAM chips on both sides, so there must be a cooling solution on the back side of the GPU, adding the extra slot of thickness. And I recall some leaks stating the RAM was reaching 100C.

devolv

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2020
Soooo apparently even the founders RTX 3090 should "technically" fit (<1mm of clearance), so when can we expect the install @fabio? Sept 25th?

Hahaha
Airflow will be a problem since the air will be blowing inside the case towards the back of the motherboard.

Hopefully 3rd party manufacturers will make this RTX 3090 with a more traditional cooler design.

Last edited:

devolv

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2020
Indeed!
And also, how is it possible that these cards have so many cuda cores?? the A100 that has a BIGGER Die, has only 6000+ Cuda cores, and is it a 7nm process.
I am super excited though!

Looks like EVGA has posted a Watercooling RTX 3090.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Airflow will be a problem since the air will be blowing inside the case towards the back of the motherboard.

Hopefully 3rd party manufacturers will make this RTX 3090 with a more traditional cooler design.

I think literally all of the AIBs have traditional cooler designs, with some have small cutouts for pass through.
t it bears mentioning that the pull fan will NOT blow on the motherboard. We're talking ITX motherboards here. It's going to blow on the PSU in sandwich cases. Flip that PSU around and you've got the PSU fan to help m
ove that air out.

This of course won't work in the Ghost S1 due to the solid "spine".

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
I think literally all of the AIBs have traditional cooler designs, with some have small cutouts for pass through.
t it bears mentioning that the pull fan will NOT blow on the motherboard. We're talking ITX motherboards here. It's going to blow on the PSU in sandwich cases. Flip that PSU around and you've got the PSU fan to help m
ove that air out.

This of course won't work in the Ghost S1 due to the solid "spine".
The added heat won't affect the PSU too much, right? That's my main concern.
Also, I can see loque adding a cutout so you can rotate the PSU so it can help with the FE card exhaust, but I don't know how that would affect the structural support of the spine.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Also, I can see loque adding a cutout so you can rotate the PSU so it can help with the FE card exhaust, but I don't know how that would affect the structural support of the spine.
I am not certain how the PSU will handle it. I think as long as the air is moving, the air temp shouldn't be so high as to trip over temp protections. Best to pick the highest 80+ rating you can afford (not wattage, but efficiency), so the PSU itself adds less heat to the equation.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I am not certain how the PSU will handle it. I think as long as the air is moving, the air temp shouldn't be so high as to trip over temp protections. Best to pick the highest 80+ rating you can afford (not wattage, but efficiency), so the PSU itself adds less heat to the equation.
Call me conservative but I would never risk the PSU. I'd rather let the GPU thermal throttled and down clocks than let the PSU soaks up all that heat and potentially trip over the entire build.

Reactions: dealda and Navic