FormD T1 - 9.5L with UNLIMITED space!! - 3950X+64GB Ram+2GPUs - TITAN V FULL watercooled+TITAN RTX!! Fill the void 2.0

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
So I may have run into a problem with my up coming build.

I will be running. LT pumpblock. Ek torque fittings and tubing. Ek classic se rad.

Plan was to run in 3 slot mode so I can have a really beefy air cooler gpu. But that means my clearance is now 50mm my ram is 51mm...

So I either run into not being able to close the side mesh. Or/and not being able to run my tubes.

Rrreeeaaalllllyyy hoping I don't need to buy new ram to make it work. Any insight into tube running in 3 slot mode?
If you're doing custom loop, you can run tubes more easily, as you're not limited by a certain length, in and out. You can snake it between motherboard and PSU, under PSU, lots of options.

Don't worry about RAM clearance. DIMM height is measured from PCB surface, whereas cooler height is measured from CPU IHS. Rule of thumb is add 8mm to cooler clearance for RAM clearance.

Reactions: ten13th and SSJ4

SSJ4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2020
www.ospreygaming.com.au
If you're doing custom loop, you can run tubes more easily, as you're not limited by a certain length, in and out. You can snake it between motherboard and PSU, under PSU, lots of options.

Don't worry about RAM clearance. DIMM height is measured from PCB surface, whereas cooler height is measured from CPU IHS. Rule of thumb is add 8mm to cooler clearance for RAM clearance.
Thanks for the advice. 8mm rule of thumb? Good to know.

Hopefully its fine. I'm out of money haha. Buying RAM isn't really an option.

Goal is to have my loop removable like its an AIO. So I can fill drain outside the case.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Thanks for the advice. 8mm rule of thumb? Good to know.

Hopefully its fine. I'm out of money haha. Buying RAM isn't really an option.

Goal is to have my loop removable like its an AIO. So I can fill drain outside the case.

If you're not using a full size fan under the PSU, that may give you some room to route tubes between the slim fans/radiator and the RAM. So under the PSU, under the RAM and then up to the block.

DJSnotBoogie

Efficiency Noob
Apr 16, 2020
@fabio I've seen both the XSPC and EK radiators used in this build. Do you recommend one over the other given you can get the TX240 to fit? It looks like you went from the XSPC to the EK (correct me if I'm wrong).

SSJ4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2020
www.ospreygaming.com.au
@fabio I've seen both the XSPC and EK radiators used in this build. Do you recommend one over the other given you can get the TX240 to fit? It looks like you went from the XSPC to the EK (correct me if I'm wrong).
XSPC are having supply issues arent they? I havent been able to find one available since Q1 of this year. Difference between the two would be so minor that I would just go for whats available and/or cheapest.

I guess one benefit of the tx240 is that you can run 3 fans. Like this. Case>2xslim fans>Rad>1x slim fan under psu. So you do get more airflow but it does mean you need another expensive fan haha.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Hey Fabio,

How are you? Your build is gorgeous. Did you try to fit hardware labs 240 gts?

Thanks!
Not possible for 2 reasons: too wide, and if it did fit, you could only run 1 fan and be left with 12mm on the other fan space.

Edit: it's worse. The end tank is too wide so you might also need a 12mm fan in both spaces, as the rad won't slide all the way up.

AgusW

Chassis Packer
Jul 20, 2020
Not possible for 2 reasons: too wide, and if it did fit, you could only run 1 fan and be left with 12mm on the other fan space.

Edit: it's worse. The end tank is too wide so you might also need a 12mm fan in both spaces, as the rad won't slide all the way up.

Thats unfortunately. So which is the best performance rad for this case? Eks?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@fabio did you have the X570i Strix in your build before? I just got the board yesterday and was playing around in the BIOS. There isn't an option to set CPU_FAN on thermal sensor input, only AIO_PUMP and CHA_FAN can be set to thermal sensor temp. Wondering if you had the same experience. Cheers!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio did you have the X570i Strix in your build before? I just got the board yesterday and was playing around in the BIOS. There isn't an option to set CPU_FAN on thermal sensor input, only AIO_PUMP and CHA_FAN can be set to thermal sensor temp. Wondering if you had the same experience. Cheers!
Exactly. But you can put the CPU fan on every other header! So problem solved.
Remember in the CPU minimum fan speed in the BIOS to put “ignore”, so at startup the system doesn’t care if nothing is plugged in the CPU header.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Exactly. But you can put the CPU fan on every other header! So problem solved.
Remember in the CPU minimum fan speed in the BIOS to put “ignore”, so at startup the system doesn’t care if nothing is plugged in the CPU header.
awesome! was thinking how I could get around that cause normally it cannot boot without anything plugged in to that header (also didn't know what that minimum fan speed setting was for, so double thanks!). though I'm thinking for the rest of 2020 I plan to have the GPU on air, if I use the stock cooler and have 2 fans as feeders those could be plugged to that CPU_FAN header at fixed speed and then be ignored.

also found out a few days ago the SYS_FAN header on the Aorus board is 2A so it can power just about any pump whereas all 3 headers on the Strix are 1A only, too bad the Aorus board itself doesn't have any thermal sensor header like the Asus

Reactions: DrHudacris