Fabricating custom sleeved cables from the stock Corsair SF-600 (gold) cables.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
I have no clue what I'm getting myself into, so any words of experience from you custom sleeved cable makers would be appreciated. Or maybe stop me now before I damage my high-end SFF components

Building into a Dan Case:
I purchased a brand new SF600 (gold) and picked up a complete cheap $10 Phanteks extension kit (see here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DCRP4B/?tag=theminutiae-20).

My plan is to de-sleeve the extension kit for the sleeving material. Cut the stock SF600 wires to a shorter, custom length. And sleeve the shorter SF600 wires with that material.

Being very careful to make sure each pin goes back the way it came from, is there something I'm missing that may F-up my system?

I am all too naive so please let me know if this is a good plan before I start down this path.

Tools I already have laying around:
Crimping tool
Connector pins
Wire stripper
Sissor

Reactions: Engr62

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Wow, desleeving a cable kit to sleeve a new one...that is either insanity or dedication. :D

You'll want to cut them all about 5mm shorter to get the ends right after you do it. Looks like the kit you bought might have melted ends because the sleeving goes inside the connectors.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
I have no clue what I'm getting myself into, so any words of experience from you custom sleeved cable makers would be appreciated. Or maybe stop me now before I damage my high-end SFF components

Building into a Dan Case:
I purchased a brand new SF600 (gold) and picked up a complete cheap $10 Phanteks extension kit (see here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DCRP4B/?tag=theminutiae-20).

My plan is to de-sleeve the extension kit for the sleeving material. Cut the stock SF600 wires to a shorter, custom length. And sleeve the shorter SF600 wires with that material.

Being very careful to make sure each pin goes back the way it came from, is there something I'm missing that may F-up my system?

I am all too naive so please let me know if this is a good plan before I start down this path.

Tools I already have laying around:
Crimping tool
Connector pins
Wire stripper
Sissor

I'd really love to hear how this goes for you as I'd like to do something similar for my SF450. Corsair's sleeved cable set is not available on Amazon anymore, else I'd get that. Corsair still has it on their site for $40 but charge $15 for shipping--so that would double the value of my PSU. ;)

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Not sure if it helps, but I sleeved my stock corsair sf600 cables (took them apart, sleeved the wires, and put it all together) back in my sfx psu days XD. I didn't cut in any of them or alter them in any other way, but they sure did come out nice.

Right before I sold the PSU and the cables, I tied them together with fishing line (you can just about make it out in the background of this photo)

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Wow. I didn't realize there were actually response to this thread. I never got any notification on them.

I do want to shorten the cables which I don't know why it's insanity- cut the wires shorter and sleeve it?
Maybe I'm over simplifying this and underestimating the task....? I have absolutely no experience so....pleas p tell me if I'm wrong?

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Wow. I didn't realize there were actually response to this thread. I never got any notification on them.

I do want to shorten the cables which I don't know why it's insanity- cut the wires shorter and sleeve it?
Maybe I'm over simplifying this and underestimating the task....? I have absolutely no experience so....pleas p tell me if I'm wrong?
You can shorten the cables if you have a crimping tool and new crimps.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Subscribed! I've actually been thinking about doing almost this exact same thing. I took the ribbon cables and broke them apart already. I, (theoretically) just need to de-pin, optionally shorten and re-crimp (optionally, because that means buying a crimper and pins instead of just sleeving and heatshrink), sleeve, shrink, re-pin. I know that the Corsair connectors have a few double-pins and I'm not quite what to do with those. Also, my keyboard project takes precedence over this one since it's been waiting longer and I have all the parts (hopefully) already.

Anyone have a good source of sleeving material they like to frequent?