Getting started with custom cables

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Hey y'all - I need to upgrade the Silverstone 450W SFX PSU in my Ncase M1 to something a bit more beefy to handle my new Vega 56. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a SF600 by Corsair. I know the stock cables are supposed to be pretty sub-par and I've been interested in creating my own cables.

As far as skill is concerned, I'm not too worried about it - I've got significant experience with soldering wires/connectors/boards as well as crimping my own Cat5 and Coax cabling. However, I wanted to get everyone's opinion as a 'one off' project if it is really worth it to make my own cables vs. buying a set. I'm mostly interested in this as a learning experience, and less so to actually have a customized look.

Questions -
1) What is an economical way to go about doing this? Are crimping tools expensive? What about the cabling/connectors? Do people often buy the tools, use them once, and resell them?
2) Since I'm most likely just going to make a single set of plain black cables/connectors, am better off just going the custom route from a website, or even purchasing Corsair's special short length cables?

I think if DIY and purchase are about the same price, I'd go the DIY route as a learning experience. If the DIY route is 1.5x-2.0x the price of purchase, I'd just as soon save the coin.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I would not do it myself.

$50 for tool that's not crap
$25 for wires, terminals, and plugs.

The issue is that the SF450/SF600 don't just use a simple 24 pin ATX.

It's a pain and half to keep track of the wiring and do a decent job. It's also annoying to do multiple crimps with one terminal.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I have a sick personality where I want to do everything myself at least once for the joy of learning. You might share that with me, but we have to constantly ask ourselves where we put our time. There might be another more fun thing for you to do with your time...like rebuild an automatic transmission. It's easier and the tools are less expensive. XD

Cable sleeving is not something you can do in one crack and get something nice. It truly is a craft. I've sleeved dozens of mods and probably at this point thousands of wires and I still suck at it. I don't have that touch. DIY, even with cheap tools, is going to be much more expensive. Even if you don't make mistakes. Once apon a time learning how to sleeve your PC was the mark that told the world you knew your craft...but with how easy and cheap it is to buy pre-made sets, it's kinda lost its status symbol. Don't get me wrong, I marvel at true artist's sleeving work, but when I see a mod with great sleeving I subconsciously don't attribute it to the builder anymore.

But now I will be helpful and give you advice:

1. You want the good tools. The bad ones aren't worth working with...even for a one off. Either spend the big bucks and get the right tools or take up sheep dog training instead.

2. Corsair historically has used the absolute worst connector/pin combination of any power supply company and they have been a NIGHTMARE to depin. Silverstone is very popular amongst sleevers because they depin beautifully. Maybe this has changed in the past couple years but I haven't gone back to Corsair after I found this out.

3. Read up on how some of the pros do their cable blocks and weaves. It will really help out. General advice is aplenty to be found.

BEST OF LUCK

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Great advice guys, thank you for your input!

I think I'm going to get the PSU for now and decide later if I want to go custom, and how to go about it.

Still deciding if I want the SF600 from Corsair or the SX650 from Silverstone.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Is there any reliable source for SF600 connectors references ?

My mobo doesn't like the combo G-Unique / Meanwell ; I may have to further rely on a goold old SF600...

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
The G-Unique is not turning-off : fans keep on turning after shutting down the computer.
Motherboard is an Asrock Z170 Fatal1ty ITX, which works perfectly with two other SFX PSUs...

The issue did not happen with other motherboards during my early Meanwell / G-Unique tests... I have no clue but I do not want to take further chances !

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
The G-Unique is not turning-off : fans keep on turning after shutting down the computer.
Motherboard is an Asrock Z170 Fatal1ty ITX, which works perfectly with two other SFX PSUs...

The issue did not happen with other motherboards during my early Meanwell / G-Unique tests... I have no clue but I do not want to take further chances !
Probably somewhere in the bios about power management. That’s weird.