Experience with HDPLEX

Ibraah3m

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Hey everyone,

How has your experience been with HDPLEX?​

I'm having a very underwhelming experience, not sure if this is normal or if I am just being the infamous 'Karen'.​

I ordered the HDPLEX 400W Combo (AC-DC and DC-ATX), It worked fine for a while, was quite happy with it. Then the AC-DC unit coiled, escalated to screeching and then popped. He did offer to send a replacement of the internals.​

The underwhelming part:

It seems like communication is not important. Since initial purchase, no further information was given. I had to keep inquiring at each step, after emailing in regards to tracking, I was giving a certain day of when I will receive the details.. and no details, 4 days later I ask again and almost a week later I finally get the details. Unfortunately that unit didn't last very long.​

I sent a little video clip of what happened when I turned on the unit and was comforted in the news that a replacement can be sent within 2 weeks. Its now almost a month later, the last email I received promising updates was sent 12 days ago.​

That being said, I still think the product is great. The ooonly reason I am a little annoyed by this is that I use my PC for work and trusted that the times and information given to me by HDPLEX would be accurate and happen accordingly.​

UPDATE: (09/03/2020)

Replacement unit arrived. Waiting for components before I can test it out.

Last edited:

Naavjames

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2018
That's a shame. I've bought a few things from Larry at HDPlex and he's always been super responsive and quick to help.
My HDplex 200 watt randomly died on me and he had one sent out to me within a week or less.

Ibraah3m

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
What components are you powering with this ? Any overclocking ? Any airflow on the HDPlex gears ? That would help us to understand ;)

I was running a Delidded 8700K + GTX 1070 at 70% power. I mainly used my PC for Youtube, Deving and the occasional game of Destiny 2 XD. No overclocking, tried undervolting but went back to stock settings.

• 8700K (no overclock)
  • 2x 16GB 3000Mhz
  • 1TB NVME
  • Zotac 1070 Mini
  • Noctua L9i
  • HDPLEX 400 DC-ATX
  • HDPLEX 400 AC-DC

The HDPLEX AC DC unit spent its life on my desk, outside of the chassis, and it had the included fan attached.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
I remain skeptical of non-traditional PSUs, personally I prefer FlexATX power supplies for cases that will be too small to fix an SFX unit. Despite FlexATX being a bit obscure and usually coming with quite a bit of fan noise, since it is traditionally a server form factor there is some implied reliability that comes along with that.

HDPlex seems to be the frontrunner in the non-traditional / PicoPSU space, if even they are having issues and lacking customer service I can't imagine trusting any of their competitors.

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
HDPlex seems to be the frontrunner in the non-traditional / PicoPSU space, if even they are having issues and lacking customer service I can't imagine trusting any of their competitors.

While I agree that the HDPLEX AC-DC 200w (first batch) leaves some wanting when it comes to coil noise, other than that it has been a rock solid unit.

But HDPLEX isn't alone, I have a couple other systems running jhack's plugin and meanwell units and have no trouble recommending them (if someone wants to go down the 12v route instead of HDPLEX's 19v).

Reactions: Ibraah3m