Help with HDplex 160w + 330w brick diagnostics

Marcus Hughan

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I recently received an HDplex 160 (the newest one) and a 330w "replacement adapter" brick. I installed them in the system but the thing simply wont boot.

To simplify the issue I am not running any PCIE or SATA powered peripherals.

In more detail; I plugged in the brick to the wall and a green light lights up on the brick, as soon as i plug the brick into the 7/5mm jack on the HDplex the green light goes out an nothing happen (no coil whine or light)

system specs:
i5 6600k
msi z170 pro gaming ac
2x4gb Gskill ddr4 2400

All of these work as I am using an EVGA 550w atx psu currently and am writing this post on the system.
Any help would be appricaiated, cheers.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you disconnect the barrel jack wire from the HDPLEX and then plug the Dell into it, does the light still go off?

Marcus Hughan

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
If you disconnect the barrel jack wire from the HDPLEX and then plug the Dell into it, does the light still go off?
To be honest I'm not sure what the light represents but this is the cycle of what happens:
starting with power too the brick but not connected to HDplex = green light;
plugging into the HDplex makes the light go out immediately as contact is made.
unplugging the HDplex and the light remains out
unplug power to brick, wait 10 seconds, plug brick back in light turns back on (this is back to the start).

note: if I don't wait the 10 seconds the light will not turn back on when I plug it back in.
and I don't have anything else to plug the brick into, only the HDplex (no compatible laptop or anything)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Have you plugged in the EPS connector? I know this seems obvious, but I know for a fact it won't boot if you forget to do this. That being said, the behaviour of the brick makes me think you have a short somewhere in the system. Do you have something else you can test it on (ie. a compatible laptop)?

Marcus Hughan

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Yes all of this was tried with the EPS connector plugged in (this was the only other connector),
I'll try and find something to test the brick with but I don't have anything hand

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That why I was wondering what happens if you just plug into the barrel connector extension.

Maybe there's a short there and not the HDPLEX itself.

Marcus Hughan

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
So I tried just connecting the barrel connector and the light stays, indicating the short is in the HDplex itself.