Accessory Electric Magic Ultra Slim 13.3 inch Portable LED Monitor IPS Screen Review

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774KWNCH/?tag=theminutiae-20

So this review is going to be built off from my initial impressions here.

So...what can I say about this monitor? I am impressed? astounded? amazed?
perhaps all of them.

If I were to compare this monitor with my previous review of the Infinity Edge, it would be like night and day.

Building off what I said before, this monitor was packaged WAY better and did not feel like a cheap knockoff product.
The monitor itself is crisp and clean, is not a fingerprint magnet and has way better construction and design. It feels about the same weight(about a pound, or ~450 grams) is super thin and works well.

specs(from what I can gather):

Brand: Electric Magic
LCD type: IPS
Bezel type: aluminum alloy material, CNC process
Screen Size: 13.3 inch
Native Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Touch Screen: No
Response Time: 2 (Typ.)(Tr+Td)(ms)
Color: 1600w Colors
Refresh frequency: 60Hz
Screen Surface Mirror (Hrad coating 3H)
Brightness: 350 cd/m (Typ)
Visual angle: <170
Contrast: 1000:1
Color Gamut: Typ 72% NTSC(CIE1931)
Blacklight WLED
Video Interface: 2 Mini HDMI 1 mini vga
Audio Interface: 3.5 mm Audio Jack
Power connection: Micro USB 5V 2A (Typ.) 5V-12v 2A DC jack

Package contained: Screen, screen stand, usb wall power connector(5V 2A phone charger), screen protector, 1 neoprene sleeve/case, 1 mini hdmi to hdmi cable, 1 mini hdmi to hdmi female cable, and 1 micro usb cable.

This is the second time I ordered something from Hong Kong through amazon and my first experience was not very fun. This time however, I was thoroughly impressed. Buttons are responsive and functional. The monitor provides crisp and clear images that is more than satisfactory. Setup with the menus was a breeze. It was not hard to switch the language to English. Other than that it is literally plug and play. I had a fun time putting the screen protector on as the screen doesn't have a clear hard line and sometimes the screen protector would slip under the bezel as the bezel thins out on the inside edge.

the stand was extremely easy to set up, and actually supports the weight of the screen. There are mount holes for a vesa stand on the back, but I'm happy with the tablet stand that was provided. The neoprene slip case works well and although its not a snug fit, it fits well enough and doesn't look baggy.

The power connections on the other hand is a slightly different story. The first time I plugged the usb in the back of my computer, it turned on with no problems. The problem though did not become apparent until i plugged it in the living room. Now, the supplied cable was not long enough to reach the wall outlet from where I wanted to sit, so I added a usb extension cord. Now, I'm not sure if this is just usb or if its just my extension cable, but I was having power issues with the monitor when I plugged the extension cable in. The monitor would keep turning itself on for like half a second, flicker off, then flicker back on, repeatedly. it also does this if you plug it into a usb port on a older computer(i think it was either a usb 1.0 or 2.0 port, since the computer is like 7 years old)

The barrel for the dc jack connection is SUPER tiny. like even smaller than a 3.5mm headphone jack, so none of the extraneous 5v power bricks I have laying around from older hardware will fit. Good thing I never planned to use the dc jack in the first place.

Now on to the display itself. In my gaming tests, the monitor seems very responsive and there was no latency issues as far as I could tell. Colors were crisp and clean with no tearing from as far as I could tell. As this is a 13 inch and a 2k res screen, desktop elements appeared kinda small, so I had to enlarge the desktop elements a bit.

The built in speakers are actually better than the built in speakers in my 25" monitors, although the bass is still pretty bad. They are surprisingly loud, and usually keep the volume around level 10-20(out of 100).

Overall, this is a very portable and durable monitor that I would highly recommend to anyone willing to drop $200 for it.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
sorry to go off topic for a bit: any idea how does one do display benchmarks with off-the-online-shelf USB display colour callibrators? o_o

MOFO

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2018
Great review, so using this for game consoles (PS4/XB1X/SWITCH )wouldn’t be a problem?
Little worried about the power jack because I planned on having it plugged in to the wall, I’m new to these portable monitors so not sure if it would or could be powered just by USB with all 3 consoles, how big is the supplied power cord anyway?
Thanks.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
@MOFO the usb cable is about 3 feet long. it can be used with any console with a free usb port(or you can just plug it into the wall), you can use the supplied mini hdmi to hdmi to plug into your console or use the mini hdmi to hdmi female if you have to use your game console's proprietary video cable.

Reactions: MOFO

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
So, I was at work today with my S4M and portable monitor. I accidentally put a little of my weight(while it was in the neoprene case) on the screen and now I have a line going across the top of my screen. I'm debating right now whether or not to replace this screen, or leave it as is and just try to ignore it.

I opened it up in an attempt to fix it by reseating the connections, but it seems the screen itself is damaged with dead pixels.

I'm also considering starting my laptop project back up in an effort to provide a more portable solution to my issue.

Edit: I just ordered a replacement.

Last edited:

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
So my replacement screen came yesterday, and I decided this time to do some unboxing pictures this time around.

Unfortunately, I received a (very)cheap phone stand(which barely can support the weight of the screen) instead of the nicer metal tablet folding stand. The wire is also less premium and did not come with a usb cable. It did come with a power brick, but I just grabbed one of the many micro usb cables I have laying around. Also, make sure the cable is good, I couldn't use one of the cheap phone charging cables I had laying around as the power connections were a little bit unstable(of course, it also could have had a short in it). I changed the cable to one that came with an old samsung tablet and there were no further issues.

Since I'm going to buy a stand, I'm thinking of getting a vesa mount folding stand if its not too pricey. I can get the same one I had before on amazon for about 6$, but if i can leave it mounted, it would save me an extra step. when I unpack it.

Last edited:
D

DelUser6216

Would like to know the length, width, and thinness of this monitor to fit it onto an S4M with hinges, I don't want to throw a dart, thanks.

E-Rod

Chassis Packer
May 23, 2018
I have the ASUS MB16AC 15.4” 1080p USB-C monitor for my S4M.

I’m interested in the 2K res of this one but it does appear a bit more bulky or fragile than the ASUS. I do like the speakers on his one as the ASUS does not have speakers.

What is neat about the ASUS is that it supports both USB-C alternate modes (DP) as well as legacy USB video using the DisplayLink driver.

My S4M has a Ryzen 2600 + 1050Ti and can work strictly with the USB monitor (even gaming) which is neat. Only downside is you don’t get video until Windows login (since it needs the driver) but I rarely need to access the BIOS on the go.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
@E-Rod It may look fragile to you, but I have been using this monitor for over a month without issues. It isn't easily broken. It even comes with a neoprene case. Also, if something ever comes up that forces you into the bios, you would not be able to do anything with that monitor, whereas I will have no such issue. I have my ram overclocked, and sometimes it won't cold boot stably so it forces it into safe mode(which i then make no changes in the bios, and reboot).

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
@Hifihedgehog The problem with higher resolutions and small screens is that you sometime have a hard time reading text and gui panels become tiny in comparison. IMHO, if you want to go 4K you should get a bigger screen. 2K is the limit for me on this size of screen, as I have to zoom in on some webpages when browsing on it just to read the text.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Has anyone had any experience with that portable 4K screen I asked about some months ago? For me, Windows 10’s DPI scaling reverses miniaturized UI elements (including in web browsing) making HiDPI a non-issue for me. In fact, I would greatly prefer the razor sharpness of 4K. By the looks of it, I would wager Electric Magic is encasing one of the 13.3” UHD display units commonly found in high-end ultrabooks and 2-in-1’s. My preferred setup would be to uninstall Moonlight off my Surface Pro 4 and relegate it to strictly tablet and laptop tasks, instead using a portable 4K monitor for travel-friendly gaming.

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...m=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=13.3+3840x2160

Last edited: