Brightness: 350 cd/m (Typ)
Visual angle: <170
Contrast: 600:1
Color Gamut: Typ 72% NTSC(CIE1931)
Blacklight WLED
Video Interface: 2*Mini HDMI 1.4 USB
Audio Interface: 3.5 mm Audio Jack
Power connection: USB Type C 5V 2A (Typ.) 9V 2A

Package came with 1 mini hdmi to hdmi cable, a usb type c cable, the screen, and a folding cell phone stand.

When I ordered this from Amazon, (it shipped from Hong Kong) I kept my expectations low, as I have not had much prior experience with products made in China for the Chinese market. It took two weeks to get here(even though I paid 15$ for them to ship it faster, of course, they didn't actually ship it till a week after I actually placed the order.) It was well packaged, with all the above previously mentioned in the box. I plugged in the USB type C cable, and the monitor immediately powered on, with it complaining in Chinese that there was no signal. I plugged the mini hdmi cable in, and it immediately found the signal coming from my S4M. I did a quick test in Portal, noticed some tearing, but realized VSync wasn't enabled. Enabling VSync corrected the issue.

The monitor itself is incredibly thin, but it seems thick and durable enough that it wouldn't just easily snap in half. I plan on replacing the "stand" as it only is barely strong enough to support the monitor's weight. The monitor only weighs about a pound, and seems very portable. The housing material appears to be a brushed aluminium, and looks premium enough. The buttons at the top are functional, except two of the buttons appear to be unresponsive(which means if there is a menu, I have no way to access it). The far left button controls the input, the second and third buttons from the left control the volume up and volume down.

In my gaming tests, the monitor seems very responsive and there was no latency issues as far as I could tell. Colors are crisp and clean, but since the two buttons on the far right seem to be unresponsive, I cannot change the brightness at all. The only other complaint I might have is that it is quite the fingerprint magnet, both the screen and the case seems to pick up the oils on my fingers as well. Other than that I am satisfied with my purchase.

Edit: I have been able to access the menu by playing with the two buttons from the right. I was able to adjust brightness, change the language to english and adjust the backlight brightness.

Last edited:

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Thanks for sharing, seems to be a quality portable monitor.

Also, I think that small circle cutout at the bottom right is to use for any pen/pencil/thin rod, so you slide it in and use that as support for standing the monitor up. Does that seem to work for you?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Thanks for sharing, seems to be a quality portable monitor.

Also, I think that small circle cutout at the bottom right is to use for any pen/pencil/thin rod, so you slide it in and use that as support for standing the monitor up. Does that seem to work for you?

@gunpalcyril Yes, it seems to work if you have a long enough pen. Using that method doesn't allow any tilt adjustment though.

It's only powered through Type C? Can you use a phone charger to power it?

@Testifier if the phone charger outputs at least 5 volts/2 amps, then yes. I just have it plugged into one of my spare usb ports in the back of my S4M, so I don't need to plug something else into the wall.

unusually expensive. Its like 250 from other sellers.
@kaffi 250$ is not really pricey, considering the next quality monitor maker is GeChic, and they usually run for 300$+ for monitors that are at least 1080p. But the thing is, I bet the ones GeChic is offering are not near 2ms latency.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_6?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gechic+portable+monitor&sprefix=Gechic,aps,155&crid=7M0RHUFBCGS1

There's also Sibolan, but their latency on their monitors is no better than a TV's. I asked them and they said 14ms.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B1TT62D/?tag=theminutiae-20

Last edited:
Reactions: gunpalcyril

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Small update, I took my new monitor for a test run with my S4M in my backback. When I connected it all together, I attempted to turn the sound on, because I had muted it in the monitor. None of the buttons are working. So, I issued a return request and will be getting another monitor.

kaffi

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
@gunpalcyril Yes, it seems to work if you have a long enough pen. Using that method doesn't allow any tilt adjustment though.

@Testifier if the phone charger outputs at least 5 volts/2 amps, then yes. I just have it plugged into one of my spare usb ports in the back of my S4M, so I don't need to plug something else into the wall.

@kaffi 250$ is not really pricey, considering the next quality monitor maker is GeChic, and they usually run for 300$+ for monitors that are at least 1080p. But the thing is, I bet the ones GeChic is offering are not near 2ms latency.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_6?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gechic+portable+monitor&sprefix=Gechic,aps,155&crid=7M0RHUFBCGS1

There's also Sibolan, but their latency on their monitors is no better than a TV's. I asked them and they said 14ms.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B1TT62D/?tag=theminutiae-20
what makes it so expensive then? Just the size or the lack of demand? I mean i get get an entire phone with a 1080p screen for 200 and I can get a 1080p ips monitor for 100.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
@kaffi there is a lot more demand for a phone than a monitor(and because of manufacturing making screens that size much cheaper). Same with a 1080p monitor >21" as part of demand. That also explains why it is so hard to find portable monitors, because the common person would just get a laptop. The common person would rather have at least a 20" screen.

The final reason is size. The smaller something is, the more engineering it requires. It is way easier to make a 21" monitor 1080p than a 15" or 17" screen, simply because of engineering and hardware constraints.

Also, that IPS monitor that you claim that you can get for $100, I can bet you that the response time on that monitor is at least 10ms, and I also bet that it is no where near as thin as this one.

Last edited:

Testifier

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
I would say the panel used in the monitor basically is an OEM model for a 15.6" laptop. Can you find out what exactly is the model?

kaffi

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
@kaffi there is a lot more demand for a phone than a monitor(and because of manufacturing making screens that size much cheaper). Same with a 1080p monitor >21" as part of demand. That also explains why it is so hard to find portable monitors, because the common person would just get a laptop. The common person would rather have at least a 20" screen.

The final reason is size. The smaller something is, the more engineering it requires. It is way easier to make a 21" monitor 1080p than a 15" or 17" screen, simply because of engineering and hardware constraints.

Also, that IPS monitor that you claim that you can get for $100, I can bet you that the response time on that monitor is at least 10ms, and I also bet that it is no where near as thin as this one.
okay yea thats what i thought, just the lack of demand makes it more expensive. Wouldn't it be worth it to just salvage an old laptop sceen though?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
okay yea thats what i thought, just the lack of demand makes it more expensive. Wouldn't it be worth it to just salvage an old laptop sceen though?

You have to think about the actual use case. If you try to make one yourself, where is the controller going to be housed? Are you then making an enclosure for the screen and the controller? Can you find a controller that is just USB powered? A lot I have seen are powered through another power brick. Would you really want to carry one of those with you? The whole device may end up being quite bulky compared to this one.

The GeChic 1503H I have has a response time of 12.5 ms. Not great, but fine for my general needs. In that way this monitor seems to have better specs. Although, I like the ability to have a rear connector for all of the cables so they don't stick out the side like this one. Just an aesthetic thing, personally.

EDIT: This is the stand I use, I like it a lot because of how it folds up and it gives the monitor a bit of height, which I find helpful for ergonomics. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSZCTX3/?tag=theminutiae-20