News EKWB VTX pumps

EK just released VTX pumps with slightly better specs than the DDC pumps but same footprint.

A lot of projects here are designing around DDC pumps so I thought about sharing this. What are your thoughts?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I just received the EK vtx pump/res combo and proceeded to remove the pump. I then replaced the original Burrow pump that comes preinstalled in the Burrow cpu block/pump/reservoir combo unit and also installed an EK ddc pump heatsink. it all fits nicely together and hope that all this will prove to be worth it. I need to source slightly longer button head M3 screws though.

couchpotato

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2019
I just received the EK vtx pump/res combo and proceeded to remove the pump. I then replaced the original Burrow pump that comes preinstalled in the Burrow cpu block/pump/reservoir combo unit and also installed an EK ddc pump heatsink. it all fits nicely together and hope that all this will prove to be worth it. I need to source slightly longer button head M3 screws though.
I think the VTX pump is thicker. So the EK DDC pump heatsink will not fit, or not? Do you mind to provide a photo?

BTW, DDC pump use M4 screws.

Factor Jay

Efficiency Noob
Dec 12, 2020
After received the new pump finally I've discovered which was the issue.
Inside the impeller there is a small metal cylinder, I think used to check from top the speed/etc. of the pump.

In the first unit I got, it was loose, so was bouncing bottom/top creating that weird sound. Now I have it placed on another hole, pressing it strongly, and seems the issue has gone!

My second unit has no problem at all. It's so crazy how much is silent compared to a DDC!

How are you finding the noise of the VTX compared to D5 (for equivalent flows)? Think there is grounds to start specifying the VTX over D5 for new builds?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I think the VTX pump is thicker. So the EK DDC pump heatsink will not fit, or not? Do you mind to provide a photo?

BTW, DDC pump use M4 screws.

It does fit, but I did indeed have to use slightly longer screws. The problem I found though, is that due to this slight difference in thickness and because the tolerances are already extremely tight for space, the Barrow block combo doesn’t fit !
I have now changed plans and will instead be using an iceman reservoirat the back of the case and a simple EK cpu block, I’ll still use the vtx pump on the iceman reservoir though. Still waiting for parts at the moment to be able to finish the build, but so far all looks good

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
The problem I found though, is that due to this slight difference in thickness and because the tolerances are already extremely tight for space, the Barrow block combo doesn’t fit !
Sorry when you say "doesn't fit", do you mean the Barrow combo doesn't fit the VTX, or the combo doesn't fit your motherboard?

I have the Barrow combo but I want it to be quieter so I'm considering using the VTX pump in it like how you planned.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Sorry when you say "doesn't fit", do you mean the Barrow combo doesn't fit the VTX, or the combo doesn't fit your motherboard?

I have the Barrow combo but I want it to be quieter so I'm considering using the VTX pump in it like how you planned.
Neither. yes the barrow combo does fit with the vtx, and yes this combo fits in my case and motherboard, but it’s too high/wide for me to use with my current side radiator.

Reactions: wywywywy

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I have now changed plans and will instead be using an iceman reservoirat the back of the case and a simple EK cpu block, I’ll still use the vtx pump on the iceman reservoir though.
any progress on this? would love to get a more in-depth post from you assembling the entire thing + performance 😁

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
any progress on this? would love to get a more in-depth post from you assembling the entire thing + performance 😁
The system has been up and running for a month now almost with no issues. The pump is as expected silent. However, I will taking it down again (probably tomorrow or next weekend) to do some changes in an attempt to lower temps and also for practicality (rerouting tubing).
Ill be replacing the EK vector cpu block with a TechN and also will replace the side EK radiator with a Black Ice Nemesis.

To be honest the system performs flawlessly but with higher temps than what I’d like. If y ou have any specific questions I can help with, fire away

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
The system has been up and running for a month now almost with no issues. The pump is as expected silent. However, I will taking it down again (probably tomorrow or next weekend) to do some changes in an attempt to lower temps and also for practicality (rerouting tubing).
Ill be replacing the EK vector cpu block with a TechN and also will replace the side EK radiator with a Black Ice Nemesis.

To be honest the system performs flawlessly but with higher temps than what I’d like. If y ou have any specific questions I can help with, fire away
I re-read the Iceman thread again and saw your post back in January. All good mate! I'll also be using the TechN block but with Bitspower radiators (OEM version of Black Ice Nemesis with 2 less tubes). I just need the damn motherboard to come back from RMA 😭

Reactions: MultiDoc

yj668

Chassis Packer
Aug 13, 2019
Does anyone happen to own both the EK-XTOP DDC and VTX pump and is able to share the combined dimensions of these? Thanks in advance! 😁

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Does anyone happen to own both the EK-XTOP DDC and VTX pump and is able to share the combined dimensions of these? Thanks in advance! 😁
It's easy, you have just to add 1cm from the VTX (Compared to the DDC with the OEM plastic cover).

ashtonjarrett

Case Bender
New User
Oct 11, 2020
It does fit, but I did indeed have to use slightly longer screws. The problem I found though, is that due to this slight difference in thickness and because the tolerances are already extremely tight for space, the Barrow block combo doesn’t fit !
I have now changed plans and will instead be using an iceman reservoirat the back of the case and a simple EK cpu block, I’ll still use the vtx pump on the iceman reservoir though. Still waiting for parts at the moment to be able to finish the build, but so far all looks good
@MultiDoc were you able to use the screws from the top in the VTX pump/res kit to fit the VTX on the iceman cooler? Did you go sans heat sink to make it fit?

Tonynca

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 21, 2021
I had a bad experience with one of these VTX pumps. Check my Reddit post here:
do you notice any black fine dust in your loop? It would only be noticeable if you were running with distill water. If you’re running color fluid it’ll just blend right in most likely. So far I know of one other person on Reddit with the same issue. Not sure if it’s just a defective unit.

Rockaholic

Case Bender
New User
Apr 18, 2021
I had the same issue as the above, got a replacement and still the same issue, black dust is in my distilled within a few hours, testing outside of my case. Seem like a design flaw or manufacturing issue in the recent units causing excess friction on the bearing shaft.

Interesting, I had a little bit of buyer's remorse when I brought DDC only to learn about the VTX pump later and thinking of buying VTX.

Reactions: cennis

promaty

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
Contacted EK directly, this is an answer from support:

We recommend using DDC pumps at the moment, as there seems to be some issue with some VTX pumps. Of course, it's a little number of pumps in comparison with the quantity we sold.
We are waiting for the new VTX batch somewhere by the end of the year.

Reactions: eedev and Phuncz