News EKWB VTX pumps

EK just released VTX pumps with slightly better specs than the DDC pumps but same footprint.

A lot of projects here are designing around DDC pumps so I thought about sharing this. What are your thoughts?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
That's not a bad result for a loop with quite a few 90' fittings and a disconnect coupler!
Exactly!! Of course the VTX head pressure is the one that removed the air in the loop quite fast!! But Was nice to discover how the flow is indeed important, but a DC-LT at 100% does its job!

Of course the reliability is not the same, that's why I prefer to stay with the VTX/D5. Especially because in my setup I have a dead space that fits perfectly the external combo.

Here some comparison pictures. I will do more later with an SPC and DDC as well.

The sleeving though is different from their D5 TBE Kinetic (left) where it's pretty nice and I think is Paracord, while the VTX has the classic nylon sleeving.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
So, I've measure and written down some info regarding the VTX:

100% (4950rpm)
43dB - >200 l/h flow - 44 degrees

80%
43dB - 190 l/h flow

60%
39dB - 155 l/h flow

40%
34dB - 120 l/h flow - 37 degrees

20%
32dB - 90 l/h flow

12%
30dB - 85 l/h flow

Here you can kinda evaluate the noise. The main problem is this "splash" sound. I don't know what can be, it get lower on slower speed like 20/30%, but it's very annoying.
I think we have to wait for other reviews. Maybe mine have some issue?

VTX 50 to 20% 1/2 Video

VTX 20 to 50% 2/2 Video

@pwnedundies

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
So, I've measure and written down some info regarding the VTX:

100% (4950rpm)
43dB - >200 l/h flow - 44 degrees

80%
43dB - 190 l/h flow

60%
39dB - 155 l/h flow

40%
34dB - 120 l/h flow - 37 degrees

20%
32dB - 90 l/h flow

12%
30dB - 85 l/h flow

Here you can kinda evaluate the noise. The main problem is this "splash" sound. I don't know what can be, it get lower on slower speed like 20/30%, but it's very annoying.
I think we have to wait for other reviews. Maybe mine have some issue?

VTX 50 to 20% 1/2 Video

VTX 20 to 50% 2/2 Video

@pwnedundies

Rattle might be indicative of a slightly out of balance rotor, but it's hard to tell

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Depends on what the issue actually is. If it's coil whine you could slather the mosfets in a little bit of putty or epoxy. If it's an out of balance rotor it's not really easy to fix (it involves sanding/grinding or otherwise taking material away from the rotor assemblies where the imbalance is (or add small balancing weights 180 degrees out of phase of the imbalance), at least that's the SOP in the gas turbine world, I don't think either solution is really applicable here. Probably just contact EK and see if they can replace it for you.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Depends on what the issue actually is. If it's coil whine you could slather the mosfets in a little bit of putty or epoxy. If it's an out of balance rotor it's not really easy to fix (it involves sanding/grinding or otherwise taking material away from the rotor assemblies where the imbalance is (or add small balancing weights 180 degrees out of phase of the imbalance), at least that's the SOP in the gas turbine world, I don't think either solution is really applicable here. Probably just contact EK and see if they can replace it for you.
Yep, I did, let's see what they will answer!

Reactions: pwnedundies

Vacceo

Average Stuffer
Mar 17, 2020
Thank you a ton, Fabio, for letting us know. Now, time to lobby EK to get the pump spare and for other reservoirs... :D

Protools

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2018
Exactly!! Of course the VTX head pressure is the one that removed the air in the loop quite fast!! But Was nice to discover how the flow is indeed important, but a DC-LT at 100% does its job!

Of course the reliability is not the same, that's why I prefer to stay with the VTX/D5. Especially because in my setup I have a dead space that fits perfectly the external combo.

Here some comparison pictures. I will do more later with an SPC and DDC as well.

The sleeving though is different from their D5 TBE Kinetic (left) where it's pretty nice and I think is Paracord, while the VTX has the classic nylon sleeving.

I really like how you made your setup there with the dampening feet(?) for the pumps and all.
Plus you're the lucky winner of Sidearm T1!

Last edited:
Reactions: fabio

pwnedundies

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2019
Yep, I did, let's see what they will answer!
Somehow I didn't see the last post you linked me in. I'm super interested in this. That noise is interesting and not pleasant. If it doesn't stop I wouldn't see a need to switch from the dc-lt ultra. Looking forward to the update. I'd like to find a way to put this in my sm580. I'm possibly going to take out a 140mm fan and put it in one of the 120mm flat reservoirs.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Somehow I didn't see the last post you linked me in. I'm super interested in this. That noise is interesting and not pleasant. If it doesn't stop I wouldn't see a need to switch from the dc-lt ultra. Looking forward to the update. I'd like to find a way to put this in my sm580. I'm possibly going to take out a 140mm fan and put it in one of the 120mm flat reservoirs.
I've asked to RMA it, I really want to see where the problem is!

dfsaqwe

Cable Smoosher
Jun 12, 2019
THAT is an amazing setup.

I know! If you open the link in every pictured there is the Ambient Temp, (26 degrees Average) Coolant temp, ecc. I'll post it here also.
The Pumps were external for an easy swap.

About the exact setup:

AMD 3950X
Titan RTX
EKWB Vector RTX GPU Block
EKWB Magnitude CPU Block
EKWB 240 Classic SE
AquaComputer mps 200 Flow Meter
x5 EKWB 90 degrees Torque Fittings
x1 EKWB 45 degrees Torque Fittings
x6 EKWB Torque 10/16 fittings
x2 Sets Quick Disconnect Koolance QD3
EKWB 10/16 ZMT Tubing

D5

DC-LT

VTX (DDC)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Received the second unit from EKWB!!

No sound problem, and here you can evaluate by yourself the sound/noise! The distance from the pump is always more or less 20cm.

You can see me lift a bit it to avoid some noise from the vibration on the desk.

At higher speed it gives a bit of "splash" sound, but as you can see at 60% the flow is incredible!

In Idle the total sound level at 30cm is 29/30db because of the slim fan at 1000rpm.

What do you think?

Last edited:

pwnedundies

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2019
Thanks for the follow up @fabio.

I'm glad you recommended the ek 3.1. I have it set to stay at 20% speed at all times and it's got so much more power than the dc-lt. I can imagine the vtx is awesome but probably just unnecessary for now

• Love

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks for the follow up @fabio.

I'm glad you recommended the ek 3.1. I have it set to stay at 20% speed at all times and it's got so much more power than the dc-lt. I can imagine the vtx is awesome but probably just unnecessary for now
It is! I was trying too look if anything similar exist, but the only one is the DDC 1T Plus PMW that it's 18W (WHY!!!!???)

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
It is! I was trying too look if anything similar exist, but the only one is the DDC 1T Plus PMW that it's 18W (WHY!!!!???)

I've read recently that Alphacool DC-LT V2.0 may be coming, they are testing them atm in their prototype units for the new line up of Gfx card water cooling solutions.

Fast forward it to 3:25 to see the prototype.

VTX is good, 200 euro for that unit is somewhat excessive though. Why the heck don't they sell the pump on it's own with a lineup of tops *grr*
A VTX pump with a DDC 1U micro res would be the ideal solution here for getting some pump power into small cases.

I emailed EK about selling the pump seperate and if it is physically compatible with DDC tops and other products designed for DDC
If it is, that's what I plan to roll with.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I've read recently that Alphacool DC-LT V2.0 may be coming, they are testing them atm in their prototype units for the new line up of Gfx card water cooling solutions.

Fast forward it to 3:25 to see the prototype.

VTX is good, 200 euro for that unit is somewhat excessive though. Why the heck don't they sell the pump on it's own with a lineup of tops *grr*
A VTX pump with a DDC 1U micro res would be the ideal solution here for getting some pump power into small cases.

I emailed EK about selling the pump seperate and if it is physically compatible with DDC tops and other products designed for DDC
If it is, that's what I plan to roll with.
This DC-LT V2 IMO will be not exciting. I think is the one in the Aurora Eisbaer though.

They say that now is a 6-pole one, but with a lower max flow (75l/h vs 100l/h, with head pressure of 0.98m - they say it's 10% more powerful though) and still DC voltage controlled and not PMW.

Here the Eisbaer Aurora detaield specs:

Last edited: