CPU E3-1275 v6

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Ok, so it seems that the best performance/TDP is Ryzen. I will simply wait for a superior Ryzen motherboard, or an E3 1275 v6 (or v7), and build my system in 2018.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2017
Right. Exactly what I was thinking. I plan to mount the fan to the case-lid (maybe even cut a hole in the lid for the fan, to maximize airflow. With a dustmesh).

So is there a Xeon with a high-clock and low TDP? Ideally 8 core, Kaby-lake? Not too expensive? Works in a mini-ITX with 4 ram slots (like the one above)?

Maybe in some months, an updated version of the board linked above will come out?
Here's what id recommend you do.
Hop on passmark.
Click the single thread benchmark list. Start going down through the list. Each e5 xeon u find with a single thread score over 1700, check for it on ebay. If you cant find a good price, search the name of the processor then ES, which stands for engineering sample. You can usually get them for a third of retail price. Ive found some fantastic deals doing that. But, make sure to check the tdp of the stock version, so you know how the ES MIGHT run. Right now, there is a very common ES that i might recommend. Its the ES version of the 6700k. It comes at 2.2 ghz. You can usually oc them close to the same as a regular 6700k can OC. But , if youre going for a CHEAP, 8 thread, high single thread strength cpu, that would be what I recommend, especially since it comes underclocked. I would read through the descriptions thoroughly and make sure you figure out which motherboard the one youre looking to buy supports, so you know its supported in the bios. These i7s usually go for under 180.

Also, before anyone comments the BS that ES are illegal, here is an official statement from the intel website.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/110476

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Ok, thanks!

I'm a bit nervous getting an ES CPU... if something doesn't work right...

Looking at PassMark, and E3-1535M v6 seems to perform almost as well as a 7700k, while being way less TDP

2590 vs 2281. So I'm guessing an over-clocked E3-1535M can get the same performance as a base-clock 7700k, while being much cooler?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1535M+v6+@+3.10GHz&id=2999

I also wonder... since I can buy a re-lidded i7 or Ryzen. Will Xeons have better thermal-interface quality? Maybe it's worth paying to have a Xeon re-lidded as well?

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2017
Ok, thanks!

I'm a bit nervous getting an ES CPU... if something doesn't work right...

Looking at PassMark, and E3-1535M v6 seems to perform almost as well as a 7700k, while being way less TDP

2590 vs 2281. So I'm guessing an over-clocked E3-1535M can get the same performance as a base-clock 7700k, while being much cooler?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1535M+v6+@+3.10GHz&id=2999

I also wonder... since I can buy a re-lidded i7 or Ryzen. Will Xeons have better thermal-interface quality? Maybe it's worth paying to have a Xeon re-lidded as well?
if something doesnt work right the ebay guys will usually accept a return, as well as EBAY guarantee. If the listing says it is fully functional, and you get it, and it isnt, thats enough to apply for a refund.

Also, like i said, read the item description. Most of the time they will list what motherboards the cpu does and doesnt work with.

Also, Im pretty sure u cant overclock that xeon. the e3 1535m.

Also, xeons are designed for 24/7 full load running. So they are a bit more reliable, and lower power draw than their consumer counterparts. Im not 100 percent about the specifics on the TIM.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
You might be focussing on the TDP part a bit too much. The Xeon's and Core's share the same architecture and will have almost identical power draw at the same amount of cores and frequencies. There are sweet spots in performance/watt, but there no magic cpu in Intel's line-up that avoids the power draw logic that their other processors follow.

Reactions: jeshikat

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Ok, I keep hearing that Xeons are the same as i7s etc... and I also keep hearing the opposite; that they're way better.

So basically, the more powerful, the hotter it'll be, with the only difference being interface material. In that case I'm better getting the 7700k or Ryzen 1800x, because I can buy relidded and binned versions from Silicone Lottery.

A post above made it seem like Ryzen ran cooler under the same workload - am I also overthinking that?

pre-Ryzen I was always told AMD was always hotter than Intel.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, Ryzen changed that. Though the Radeon graphics cards still mostly run hotter than nVidia AFAIK.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Well I don't need GPU, so seeing as Ryzen is cheaper, more powerful, and cooler, I'll just get a Ryzen, but I'll wait for their second gen motherboards since apparently the first gen is flaky with 64+ gb RAM.

Reactions: Biowarejak