CPU E3-1275 v6

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Yes, I've been reading a lot and saw that chart, among others. It seems it is true that more cores is better, but I wonder about something like a Xeon D, only 2.7GHz, but 8 cores, and only 45w, so nice and cool.

http://ark.intel.com/products/91199/Intel-Xeon-Processor-D-1541-12M-Cache-2_10-GHz

Or maybe I should wait for Ryzen to mature. Apparently in the future the Ryzen motherboards will be better. Maybe a Ryzen Mini ITX with 4 ram slots (probly will never happen, maybe Micro ATX).

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
2.7Ghz is turbo, base clock is 2.1Ghz. I would assume the 2.7Ghz would be for 1 core only though, so at max power all 8 cores would be able to turbo boost to ~2.3/2.4Ghz

But take this with a grain of salt, I'm far from being an expert on these things

Reactions: Phryq

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes, I've been reading a lot and saw that chart, among others. It seems it is true that more cores is better, but I wonder about something like a Xeon D, only 2.7GHz, but 8 cores, and only 45w, so nice and cool.

http://ark.intel.com/products/91199/Intel-Xeon-Processor-D-1541-12M-Cache-2_10-GHz

Or maybe I should wait for Ryzen to mature. Apparently in the future the Ryzen motherboards will be better. Maybe a Ryzen Mini ITX with 4 ram slots (probly will never happen, maybe Micro ATX).

I would recommend waiting for an ASROCK one. By then most of the major issues are ironed out. You won't see 4 ram slots on mini itx though.

You can certainly downclock any Ryzen down to ~50W. Ryzen is about equal to Broadwell in terms of perf/clock/watts. It sits between consumer and HEDT so it's easier to get an 8 core unlike getting the i7-6900k with a X99 board, or a Xeon with an enterprise board.

A while ago a lot of Xeon got dumped on the market for $60 for 8 cores after meeting their end of life. Issue is mobos were $250!

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
I would recommend waiting for an ASROCK one. By then most of the major issues are ironed out. You won't see 4 ram slots on mini itx though.

You can certainly downclock any Ryzen down to ~50W. Ryzen is about equal to Broadwell in terms of perf/clock/watts. It sits between consumer and HEDT so it's easier to get an 8 core unlike getting the i7-6900k with a X99 board, or a Xeon with an enterprise board.

A while ago a lot of Xeon got dumped on the market for $60 for 8 cores after meeting their end of life. Issue is mobos were $250!

Yes, I've looked at the old Xeons, tempting, but not quite what I need.

So Ryzen is performing better than consumer (e.g. 7700k) for performance per TDP?

Now I'm thinking it's best to go HEDT or Xeon. Maybe the e3 1275 v6. I don't want to go too expensive, but Xeons have more cache, and support more Ram.

Ya, I've looked at that one quite a few times. Problem is, it seems to support only e5 Xeons, which are way to expensive for me if I want any clock speed.

LGA 2011-3 narrow socket is also really nice. I could use this Dynatron cooler which somehow cools 165w passively and is low profile? Seems too good to be true, but I'd use a 140mm fan with it anyhow.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Really? Seems like ram and storage would eat most of your cost. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7NdBxY

Although, you wouldn't be at your RAM capacity limit with that. I just selected compatible components.

Yes, by my calculations, 128gb ram would be $800. Way out of my budget, but really I would like it. 64gb would cost $400. Still a big cost. I realized with my software, the more RAM I have, the less the CPU is taxed, which solves a lot of problems over cooling etc. I already have SSDs from my own computer, though I would like an NMVe.

I didn't see that CPU btw, that looks like a good CPU for my needs. However, it's 140w, wheras the 7700k is the same cores, higher clock, and fewer watts. How can that be?

Maybe you'd be better served with mATX if you really need 64GB of RAM.

With 2x M.2 and DC-DC, you could still achieve darn small case.

Yes, I was thinking that. I didn't realize how small the motherboards really were. The motherboard would basically be the entire dimensions of the case, since I'd have no PSU or GPU.

It's anything but passive. Those type heatsinks are for use in 1U rack servers where there are 10,000+ RPM 40mm fans at the front of the case providing airflow.

But will a 140mm fan have enough pressure? I was thinking a bequiet fan.

http://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/723

If the 160w rating is based on 10,000+ RPM fans, then yes, it really doesn't mean much.

I can't find who linked this Linus video,

That's the motherboard/heatsink setup I want, but I'd use a 140mm fan and not a $4000 CPU. I wonder if that CPU would even be good for gaming, with it's low clock speed.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
The tdp of a processor is more of a ballpark for that generation. The motherboard in question doesn't support overclocking so you don't need a K-series SKU, but in general I'd like to think any differences can be attributed to binning and architecture.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
I didn't see that CPU btw, that looks like a good CPU for my needs. However, it's 140w, wheras the 7700k is the same cores, higher clock, and fewer watts. How can that be?

The 7700K is ~2 architectures beyond the Xeon - Broadwell EP vs Kaby Lake, and a lot of the improvements are in power efficiency.

But will a 140mm fan have enough pressure? I was thinking a bequiet fan.

http://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/723

I have a T318 and a 2.04 mm H²O, 120mm fan on it cooling a 120W TDP processor. Works very well even with permanently capping it out (have it mining when I'm not using the workstation). The fan you linked alleges 2.16 mm H²O so I expect it'd be fine for maybe 140W TDP, but 160W might be pushing it... You'll also want to mount it non-centered against the heatsink so you can get maximum airflow without being blocked by the fan center.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Right. Exactly what I was thinking. I plan to mount the fan to the case-lid (maybe even cut a hole in the lid for the fan, to maximize airflow. With a dustmesh).

So is there a Xeon with a high-clock and low TDP? Ideally 8 core, Kaby-lake? Not too expensive? Works in a mini-ITX with 4 ram slots (like the one above)?

Maybe in some months, an updated version of the board linked above will come out?

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
The more core count, the lower the frequencies.

Is there some kind of universal rule? I mean, some CPUs are more powerful than others, and power=/=TDP (I mean, not 100%).

My software can scale with cores, but not perfectly. 4 cores at 4GHz is still way better than 8 cores at 2GHz.

A 6 core might also be ideal. Basically I'm just looking for the most power (first clock, second cores), with the least TDP.

So will that be a Xeon, a 7700k? Or what?

My software atm is optimized for Intel, but I'm imagining in the near future it could be optimized for Ryzen as well.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is there some kind of universal rule?

When comparing within the same architecture and process node it's generally true because moar cores = moar heat and moar frequency = moar heat so keeping within the TDP limits of the socket requires lowering the clocks as core count go up.

It gets trickier comparing across generations and especially brands since the frequency becomes harder to directly compare due to differences in IPC.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2017
Best CPU would be the BGA Xeon E3-1585L V5. This is a 4C/8T Skylake Xeon with 45W TDP, 3.0GHz base, 3.7GHz turbo and Iris Pro iGPU (with 128MB eDRAM)

Iris Pro P580 has 72 execution units as opposed to the 24 from the HD graphics P630. The 128MB of eDRAM will also provides a substantial boost.

Asrock has an ITX motherboard, with 4x SODIMM ECC, PCIe-16X and M.2 slot.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C236 WSI4-85L#Specifications

Only drawback .... This is a soldered only CPU.

Edit: .... It is also quite expensive XD
that thing is hard to hunt down. found it listed on alibaba though. as a side note. requested a price quote for giggles.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Around 800€...

With that thin IO shield, imagine using an inverted PCIe bifurcated riser going over the mobo, with two single slot GTX 1070.
You'd just have to offset the CPU cooler. Easy task with a flat heatpipe.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
that thing is hard to hunt down. found it listed on alibaba though. as a side note. requested a price quote for giggles.

I currently have an i7 47w CPU at 2.7GHz base clock. So this would be a bit better in every way, but not a ton better.

The 65w version of the CPU looks quite good.

But then isn't a Xeon E3-1275 v6 even better?

I'm not so concerned with graphics anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak