Dust filters in SFF cases: how important are they to you?

What trade-offs, if any, would you be willing to make to have dust filters in an SFF case?

• Total voters

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Dust filters can be difficult to implement in SFF cases, and often involve certain trade offs. Most small cases don't attempt to implement them at all, yet that doesn't seem to dissuade people from buying these cases.

I'm soundly on the side of wanting effective dust filtration, even at a significant cost to size. However, I recognize I may be in the minority on this one. Are they even worth pursuing in an SFF case, given the trade-offs?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I live in a very dusty and tropical city. It's almost a desert here.
Its possible to buy dust filters in custom sizes? Like the cheap metal ones in cases?
That or a more fabric like dust filters on intake fans is something I'd like to see more in sff cases

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Honegod

Cable Smoosher
Dec 7, 2017
The problem with filter is accumulation.
A way to decrease the rate of accumulation is to increase the surface area, why furnace filters are pleated.

Plan A: enclose entire case in box made of furnace filters, with a hole for exhaust air.

Reactions: Biowarejak

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I have always gone for the 'let it breath' approach and would rather clean my system more often than add heat with the use of dust filters. Having tried them several times over the years they always end up getting removed in my personal stuff.

However, I fully understand that others may feel differently so I would lean towards optional support for them in a case design to cater to the widest audience.

---I'm not ordering the filters if they are optional and would take them out if they were included! ;)