Dual SFF PSU sync help required

Armadylann121

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Sep 7, 2018
Hey all, I am doing a itx build in the NFS skyreach mini case. I am attempting to go all out in the smallest form factor i can because... why not? But i have run into a bit of a problem that i can seem to solve. I am running a 65w CPU and a 1080 mini, The motherboard, cpu, and ssd are all powered off of an HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX psu that plugs directly into the 24pin motherboard header. The GPU is independantly powered off of a HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX psu with the "ps power and gnd" headers jumped to allow the 400w to be powered without motherboard connection. The whole system works perfectly until shutdown, at that point the system doesnt fully shutdown but will instead continue powering both power supplies and the gpu until i pull the jumped cable connector or completely pull power and allow it to discharge. I have tried to use the sync header on the 160w unit to jump the 400w and in turn "sync" them however that only succeeded in shorting the 160w and delivering no power to anything. Im out of ideas at this point aside from wiring the cable jump to a switch and just toggling it when i want to power cycle.

Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
I am quite a newbie to PC building so I would definitely wait for a response from the more experienced members...

However, have you considered add2psu http://www.add2psu.com ? From what I understand, this may help your situation. This should sync the power on/off timings between your PSUs. So the 160w would remain connected to the motherboard in addition to a molex from the 160w connected to the add2psu, and the 400w would plug into the add2psu with it's 24pin atx connector.

Or try @Kmpkt 's Dynamo series PSU's which I think may accomplish a task similar to what you're currently trying to achieve.

Really hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You can pair my Dynamo Mini with your HDPlex 160W DC-ATX for a 520W DC-DC solution which will more than handle your hardware.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey all, I am doing a itx build in the NFS skyreach mini case. I am attempting to go all out in the smallest form factor i can because... why not? But i have run into a bit of a problem that i can seem to solve. I am running a 65w CPU and a 1080 mini, The motherboard, cpu, and ssd are all powered off of an HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX psu that plugs directly into the 24pin motherboard header. The GPU is independantly powered off of a HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX psu with the "ps power and gnd" headers jumped to allow the 400w to be powered without motherboard connection. The whole system works perfectly until shutdown, at that point the system doesnt fully shutdown but will instead continue powering both power supplies and the gpu until i pull the jumped cable connector or completely pull power and allow it to discharge. I have tried to use the sync header on the 160w unit to jump the 400w and in turn "sync" them however that only succeeded in shorting the 160w and delivering no power to anything. Im out of ideas at this point aside from wiring the cable jump to a switch and just toggling it when i want to power cycle.

Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

You should just the short 24pin Skywire (http://nfc-systems.com/shop-all/skywire)and use the HDplex 400W DC-ATX exclusively. The logic of the HDPLEX 400 DC-ATX "power on" is not the same logic as the HDPLEX 160 SYNC signal. They're incompatible.