Production Dr Zaber Sentry - Console-sized gaming PC case project

RandomUsername

Efficiency Noob
Oct 15, 2017
That one would actually work, I'm certain. It's pretty close to the reference NVidia cards in size, and stays properly within the two slot width (no oversized cooler).
Thanks. I think I'll go with this build then, when the Sentry is next available for purchase. Hopefully it will last for long as this will be my first build.

Reactions: Biowarejak

mgilang

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2017
We are still gathering the feedback from our indiegogo campaign (many cases are still in transport). What is more we will have to somehow check how big is the real, current demand for this case. I hope in few weeks we will have an answer.
any information about the price range?

thanks

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016

• at the moment the suggested retail price is $235 however this might be subject to change after feedback. Hopefully, mine will arrive sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. Cant wait!

Yes. Suggested price for next sales was $235, but currently dollar is a very unstable currency. Because of that many of our suppliers rised prices in dollars or ask us to switch to EURO. When we set $235 price tag, dollar and euro was on similar level (nearly 1:1, USD=4,24 PLN vs EUR=4,36 PLN). Right now USD dolar went down a lot but EUR is still on the similar level like 6 or 7 months ago (USD=3,6 PLN vs EUR=4,24 PLN). Because of that we understand our suppliers and we also will have to make some changes with future sales. When we will start sales again we will consider switching to EURO with the same amount (€235). Right now we can't say anything for sure, but this is a very probable scenario.

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
I understand focusing in one case design at a time, but what are your thoughts on making a sentry case in the future where the gpu intakes air on the same side as the cpu? I understand the riser would have to be longer and on the other side of the mb, but it may improve thermals when the case is horizontal. Personally i like the idea of a case i can use as a monitor stand so it has a minimal footprint.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
I understand focusing in one case design at a time, but what are your thoughts on making a sentry case in the future where the gpu intakes air on the same side as the cpu? I understand the riser would have to be longer and on the other side of the mb, but it may improve thermals when the case is horizontal. Personally i like the idea of a case i can use as a monitor stand so it has a minimal footprint.

Sounds like you need this

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017

We've checked that option while designing Sentry and it has quite a few problems. Longer riser would be either under the GPU or motherboard so it'd require more space below one of them to not melt the riser. Also riser would be significantly more expensive. Next thing is fitting components - what we have now is natural mounting for the GPU and it lets us save quite a lot of space. If you turn the card around then there's a lot of places where you need additional room for mounting and airflow.

Btw hello to forums :)

Last edited:

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
Nearly every Sentry case that has completed an auction on Ebay has gone for $400 or more (one for $385). Those all appear to be individual cases.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Nearly every Sentry case that has completed an auction on Ebay has gone for $400 or more (one for $385). Those all appear to be individual cases.

$385 still isn't the highest price we saw. Just 5 minutes of googling:

- $615 - link
- $500 - link
- $500 - link
- $495 - link
- $495 - link
- $490 - link
- $490 - link
etc.

It's a lot more than those $195 from the campaign and we know about this situation, but in some way we understand it. Many people waited to long for their package and they just don't need their case anymore. Also many were late for the indiegogo campaign and they like this product so much that they will do everything to get it. What is more, current production has ended and the only way to get Sentry is a 2nd hand market and it makes this case quite rare, which explains those prices (probably quality has also something to do with that in comparison to the only one, plastic competitor).

From our point of view, our duty was to make a product which we will be proud of and which will make our supporters to be happy that they trusted us. We'll never investigate why someone did or will buy a product from us. We won't check if someone bought Sentry for his wife, kids or friend or just to make a profit on a rare product. Finally this case will get into someone's hands who will really want to build something special in Sentry and our duty is to assure support to everyone who will need it (no matter how he got our case).

We are still at the point where we are gathering the feedback from our supporters. In few weeks we will make a decision about future sales.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
$385 still isn't the highest price we saw. Just 5 minutes of googling:

- $615 - link
- $500 - link
- $500 - link
- $495 - link
- $495 - link
- $490 - link
- $490 - link
etc.

It's a lot more than those $195 from the campaign and we know about this situation, but in some way we understand it. Many people waited to long for their package and they just don't need their case anymore. Also many were late for the indiegogo campaign and they like this product so much that they will do everything to get it. What is more, current production has ended and the only way to get Sentry is a 2nd hand market and it makes this case quite rare, which explains those prices (probably quality has also something to do with that in comparison to the only one, plastic competitor).

From our point of view, our duty was to make a product which we will be proud of and which will make our supporters to be happy that they trusted us. We'll never investigate why someone did or will buy a product from us. We won't check if someone bought Sentry for his wife, kids or friend or just to make a profit on a rare product. Finally this case will get into someone's hands who will really want to build something special in Sentry and our duty is to assure support to everyone who will need it (no matter how he got our case).

We are still at the point where we are gathering the feedback from our supporters. In few weeks we will make a decision about future sales.
given its success on the 2nd hand market, you might be on your way to having a serious stake in the niche market.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think it's a lot like concert ticket sales that are sold out instantly: the base price is required for the bulk of the sale but a few people that are late to join aren't price-aware or budget-constrained and will be happy to pay much more. Yet this would not work if the base price is increased to this level.

To put it another way: if the Sentry was sold for $400, I doubt it would have sold out, even though some people will happily pay more for them now. You see this with the cases that regularly return back to production like the Ncase M1: the case-flipping stopped mostly after having enough supply to meet demand.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
It's possible that we (or any other indie case maker) could sell a case for $400 but would get 100 orders rather than a 1000 like we did.

Possibly quite a lot more revenue per unit on the start, but less people would spread the word about the case and would have to keep dropping the price to get more customers while annoying the ones that already purchased our product for a premium pricetag.

Anyway the backers that are using their Sentry cases are happy with what they've got, and the ones to which we delivered too late for their builds at least are getting a good return on their investment, so hopefully they are happy with that as well.

LeandroB

Average Stuffer
Jun 2, 2017
Anyway the backers that are using their Sentry cases are happy with what they've got, and the ones to which we delivered too late for their builds at least are getting a good return on their investment, so hopefully they are happy with that as well.

But since i can't aford a 600 dollars case, i'm still dreaming of one to call my own. lol
Well, i guess i will have to wait and hope for a new campaing. And even if i you guys don't get to make a new one (knocks on wood*), i'm not sure that i have the right to say that, but i am kinda of proud of you guys, its an amazing work what you guys did, you really got your hearts in it and were totaly transparent and acessible to everybody who bought it. It's always good to see people like that. =)

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
It's possible that we (or any other indie case maker) could sell a case for $400 but would get 100 orders rather than a 1000 like we did.

Possibly quite a lot more revenue per unit on the start, but less people would spread the word about the case and would have to keep dropping the price to get more customers while annoying the ones that already purchased our product for a premium pricetag.

It's OK to pay lots of money for an indie case, because the money can help the makers to further improve their design, and may encourage them to build new and better products. So the money goes to where it is needed.

But paying money to some greedy eBay sellers is totally a different thing. It won't do any help to the case makers, or at best some almost negligible in-direct benefit maybe, but it doesn't worth it at all.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
But paying money to some greedy eBay sellers is totally a different thing. It won't do any help to the case makers, or at best some almost negligible in-direct benefit maybe, but it doesn't worth it at all.

That depends

if someone backed us in plan to make his build on precise time and we didn't deliver it on time for him (regardless of his understanding on the risks of crowdfunding), It's reasonable for him to get a return on his investment for the time his investment was "locked" and he couldn't take it back. He still contributed to our campaign and added up to the 1000 of cases manufactured. Getting back the money including shipping cost + some return on his investment like a 100 bucks over initial price doesn't seem that greedy here.

Another thing is some people flipping our cases for 500 bucks and then looking to buy another for 250 over and over... But that ended quickly after people realised that and now it looks like noone will sell their that low.

But since i can't aford a 600 dollars case, i'm still dreaming of one to call my own. lol
Well, i guess i will have to wait and hope for a new campaing.

One way or another, we still want to make more of those cases, but first we have to fix everything that went wrong with first batch production as well as some details that screwed up the user experience for the backers.

Letting it go and not continuing with the project would mean wasting the potential given to us by the backers of this campaign.

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
So is anyone running a Vega 56 in this? I need a GPU upgrade because I bought an ultrawide without thinking about my gpu. Derp. I mean, it handles most things even at 3440x1440, its just PUBG and Just Cause 3 that it struggles with.

The card has a TDP of 210W, 60 watts over the 150W max TDP recommended by Dr Zaber.

So is anyone running a vega 56 and do you have thermals for it?

I guess my question is how wise/unwise would it be to run such a hot card in this case? Thanks.

Last edited: