Production Dr Zaber Sentry - Console-sized gaming PC case project

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Unless it (your ultrawide) has a freesync, I'd recommend going for nvidia for both thermals and drivers imo.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
So is anyone running a Vega 56 in this? I need a GPU upgrade because I bought an ultrawide without thinking about my gpu. Derp. I mean, it handles most things even at 3440x1440, its just PUBG and Just Cause 3 that it struggles with.

The card has a TDP of 210W, 60 watts over the 150W max TDP recommended by Dr Zaber.

So is anyone running a vega 56 and do you have thermals for it? Thanks.

I'd like to go all AMD for a tiny workstation class build but their GPU's always run hot. =\
there are plenty of people (my self included) who are running vega 64, you can check on [H]ard forum for detailed reports on their temps on their sentry page. im not getting the parts till Friday though so i wont be able to test first hand. check for a user called 4884, he has one and i believe he has tested temps. vega doesn't play very well with PUBG from what ive seen, perhaps waiting for a 1070ti might be a better option for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
there are plenty of people (my self included) who are running vega 64, you can check on [H]ard forum for detailed reports on their temps on their sentry page. im not getting the parts till Friday though so i wont be able to test first hand. check for a user called 4884, he has one and i believe he has tested temps.

Awesome, I'll check it out, thanks.

vega doesn't play very well with PUBG from what ive seen, perhaps waiting for a 1070ti might be a better option for you?

Well that's probably just down to the state of drivers at the moment, but yeah, a 1070 (ti) might be better.

Honestly though, I'm running an i5-6600k right now, but I would love have two PC's in the future, one for gaming (the Intel) and an AMD mini workstation with vega, for linux dev and linux stuff in general. That would be my dream config.

Filo99

Efficiency Noob
Aug 28, 2017
i want to see this case avaiable within the end of november, is it possible, beacause i want build my first pc with this case?Or more time is necessary?

sevenalive

Cable Smoosher
Oct 28, 2017
I finally received my case! I need a parts list. I want the best and latest parts. Looking for 24 or 32gb of ram and a fast M2 SSD. A core i7 coffee lake cpu.

I have a Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LX001)and a
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC that will go into this build. I just need everything else (MB, PSU, CPU, Ram, etc).

I can get a new video card if the 970 is limiting. I also have the demcifilters if that makes a difference.
Anyone have "the best" parts list?

Last edited:
Reactions: SaperPL

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I finally received my case! I need a parts list. I want the best and latest parts. Looking for 24 or 32gb of ram and a fast M2 SSD. A core i7 coffee lake cpu.

I have a Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LX001)and a
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC that will go into this build. I just need everything else (MB, PSU, CPU, Ram, etc).

I can get a new video card if the 970 is limiting. I also have the demcifilters if that makes a difference.
Anyone have "the best" parts list?
The best is what suits your needs :p

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
I'm getting idle temps of 54 degrees on my 7700k with an lp53 + noctua fan. i'm pretty sure i need to delid. anyone got any other advice (no comments on the cpu choice i regret nothing =) )

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm getting idle temps of 54 degrees on my 7700k with an lp53 + noctua fan. i'm pretty sure i need to delid. anyone got any other advice (no comments on the cpu choice i regret nothing =) )
Those temps are pretty low man. Whats your ambient temp?

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
not sure whats causing it, the cooler is mounted correctly (it was a pain to screw in but it was none the less. the fan is held on with paper clips but that shouldn't be causing any problems?

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
not sure whats causing it, the cooler is mounted correctly (it was a pain to screw in but it was none the less. the fan is held on with paper clips but that shouldn't be causing any problems?

I've seen only one review of that cooler and in an open bench setup, I don't know how is it in something tight like the sentry.
Do you have the same temperature without the cover?

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016

That is weird. I have currently i7-6700 Non-K version in my Sentry and in idle i have only 30-32 deg C (ambient of 21 deg C). What is more I'm running it with Intel BOX cooler (copper core version). I know that 7700K is a hotter CPU, but 24 deg C difference while having better cooling, tells me that you probably did something wrong. As wesbl suggested, try to check your temps without the Sentry's cover. You shouldn't see such temperatures in idle... even if it's a K version of CPU.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
That is weird. I have currently i7-6700 Non-K version in my Sentry and in idle i have only 30-32 deg C (ambient of 21 deg C). What is more I'm running it with Intel BOX cooler (copper core version). I know that 7700K is a hotter CPU, but 24 deg C difference while having better cooling, tells me that you probably did something wrong. As wesbl suggested, try to check your temps without the Sentry's cover. You shouldn't see such temperatures in idle... even if it's a K version of CPU.
I ended up taking a closer look at the fan, after turning it all the way up my temps have been 30-40 average

Reactions: ZombiPL

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
Have you changed fan orientation to exhaust instead intake?
when the custom cables finally arrive, im probably going to disassemble it all and get the processor delided, ill put weatherstripping around the fan though so its orientation shouldn't be an issue

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
So I'm looking at getting this card:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126110&ignorebbr=1

Good price for a 1080 especially these days, no?

I'd say I'm wondering about TDP but I've already heard that some are running vegas in the Sentry.

My only quandry is what to make of the negative reviews. The thing is, you can find such reviews for almost any tech product. So should I just ignore them and hope for the best?

EDIT: So I just rewatched this video from the WAF channel and wow, he recommends the 1080 Ti. I guess I should have seen that coming, 3440x1440 is almost 4k, but wow, it's around $800 for one of those!!

Hopefully I can get away with "just" a 1080.
Thanks

LC

Last edited:

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Is not too much a TDP greater than 150W for a Graphics Card inside something like sentry?

Are there any temperature report here?