Production Dr Zaber Sentry - Console-sized gaming PC case project

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
Is not too much a TDP greater than 150W for a Graphics Card inside something like sentry?

Are there any temperature report here?
hi vega 64 owner here, been running it happily in the sentry without any issues on the cases behalf, 30 degrees idle with peaks around 70-80 ish. if you do go with a vega 64, i highly recommend going for a sfx-l, as the extra headroom could allow for some overclocking

Last edited:

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
hi vega 64 owner here, been running it happily in the sentry without any issues on the cases behalf, 30 degrees idle with peaks around 70-80 ish. if you do go with a vega 64, i highly recommend going for a sfx-l, as the extra headroom could allow for some overclocking

WOW! So maybe TDP isn't too much to worry about I guess? Have you tracked your temps? LTT made a video on this subject and yeah it seems that case confines don't matter so much as just having a constant airflow.

Also, too late for the PSU as I already bought the Silverstone SFX 600w, so I will probably go with the 1080 then.

However that's encouraging, so thank you!

Reactions: NuclearLemons

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017

70-80ish on gaming or stress test? Maximum fan speed?
It's not bad for someone who wants maximum performance in the smallest size possible, but I really don't want to reach/surpass 80°C with my gpu for gaming only, I don't want a furnace.

That's the reason why sff cases have bad reputation :(

WOW! So maybe TDP isn't too much to worry about I guess? Have you tracked your temps? LTT made a video on this subject and yeah it seems that case confines don't matter so much as just having a constant airflow.

It depends.
If they reach that temperatures for gaming only, it's not really the best IMHO.

Last edited:

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
70-80ish on gaming or stress test? Maximum fan speed?
It's not bad for someone who wants maximum performance in the smallest size possible, but I really don't want to reach/surpass 80°C with my gpu for gaming only, I don't want a furnace.

That's the reason why sff cases have bad reputarion :(

It depends.
If they reach that temperatures for gaming only, it's not really the best IMHO.
fan speed is on the default curve, i haven't really noticed it but its certainly audible when all the way up without headphones

Reactions: wesbl

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
So I'm curious.

It just occurred to me, after seeing this thread, that one might be able to attach a plate to the chassis and run water to it like a regular water cooling loop and back.

Would this allow the body to act as a passive heat sink?

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
So I'm curious.

It just occurred to me, after seeing this thread, that one might be able to attach a plate to the chassis and run water to it like a regular water cooling loop and back.

Would this allow the body to act as a passive heat sink?
it wouldn't be a very good one, not many points of contact as the mb is raised. A passive heatsink would require fins to better dissipate the heat, something the sentry doesn't have. Steel doesn't make for a great conductor of heat either so thats also something to consider

Reactions: ZombiPL

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
I'm torn between the msi z370 and the ASRock.

What heatsink and psu should I be getting?
you are going z370? might not be the greatest idea given the heat that comes off the cpus on that chipset. sfx psus are easier to install but if you plan on running a vega 64, sfx-l is a must. currently, the best heatsink on the market is an lp53 with a noctua fan stuck to it

Infinito

Case Bender
Sep 23, 2017
Hi guys, I've just wanted to ask is there any chance you will start another campaign before the end of this year? Thanks for your answer.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Hi guys, I've just wanted to ask is there any chance you will start another campaign before the end of this year? Thanks for your answer.

It's a little bit late for another campaign in this year (we have like 5 weeks to the 2018), but maybe there will be "something". And "maybe" is a key-word here. Some people still didn't get their packages from the campaign, because they forgot about them and simply didn't pick them from the Post, they weren't at home during delivery attempts or transport companies made some errors in delivery, so we still have a lot of work with solving everything out. If we will get a little bit of time (and our subcontractors will also have time for us... it's end of the year...) then we will think about this "maybe".

sevenalive

Cable Smoosher
Oct 28, 2017
I got the lp53 and the noctua fan, still need the motherboard and GPU.

Im debating between AsRock and MSI z370 boards. Ideally I want a MB that allows me to mount the cooler in the best position, while not blowing hot air over ram.

Leaning towards ASRock, not sure if I need the gaming board.

Anyone figure out a better way to mount the noctua fan on the lp53? I heard about using rubber bands...

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
I got the lp53 and the noctua fan, still need the motherboard and GPU.

Im debating between AsRock and MSI z370 boards. Ideally I want a MB that allows me to mount the cooler in the best position, while not blowing hot air over ram.

Leaning towards ASRock, not sure if I need the gaming board.

Anyone figure out a better way to mount the noctua fan on the lp53? I heard about using rubber bands...
i use paper clips, does the trick, pic included

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017