Production Dr Zaber Sentry - Console-sized gaming PC case project

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Speaking of which, it appears as though I may not have gotten the proper amount of screws in my package, although what I do have should be enough to complete the build but like I said, I'm not very good with all that stuff.

In the accessory box we are giving everybody something like 2 times more screws than you really need. From your description I don't understand what action you want to take that needs more screws than you have.

EDIT: Also I was having a problem with the pcie riser. I assume you're supposed to slide it in from the GPU compartment side? As it won't fit the other way. Also, there isn't enough clearance to bend the motherboard side into place. Could this just be a thing with my motherboard? Am I doing something wrong (highly probable :p)?

In this situation it is also not clear what you want to do. How can motherboard side of the riser has problem with bending while this is a flexible riser? Maybe the problem is that I/O shield foam, and because of it you can't screw that last 4th screw and the PCI-E slot on motherboard isn't aligned with the riser's PCI-E connector?

Yes, you insert it from the GPU side. If you have a problem fitting plastic PCI-E slot between two metal sheets, then you should use something like a screwdriver to bend them a little bit, but only as much as needed to slide this riser's slot in. In our extended online manual on page 13 you can check how it should be installed (you have also a link to that manual in your paper manual added to Sentry box): http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/manual.pdf

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016

Sentry manufacturing process - weekly update

6th transport sent. It was the most complicated of all transports we had before in terms of logistics. Luckily everything went fine and everyone whose cases were assigned for this shipment should already received a tracking information via email.

It's time for the 7th and the last transport from this First Batch. As we said before, it will be made with almost all of the "Long Run" orders, and with this shipment we will finish sending Sentry cases ordered during indiegogo campaign.
Manufacturing process has already begun:

As a bonus, just like every second weekend we are adding some of the photos we received from our backers showing their builds and also nice desks environments:

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
haha! long run orders are finally underway! so hyped to get my hands on this. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to run a light strip around the case without having to drill holes?

Reactions: Biowarejak

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
In the accessory box we are giving everybody something like 2 times more screws than you really need. From your description I don't understand what action you want to take that needs more screws than you have.

In this situation it is also not clear what you want to do. How can motherboard side of the riser has problem with bending while this is a flexible riser? Maybe the problem is that I/O shield foam, and because of it you can't screw that last 4th screw and the PCI-E slot on motherboard isn't aligned with the riser's PCI-E connector?

Yes, you insert it from the GPU side. If you have a problem fitting plastic PCI-E slot between two metal sheets, then you should use something like a screwdriver to bend them a little bit, but only as much as needed to slide this riser's slot in. In our extended online manual on page 13 you can check how it should be installed (you have also a link to that manual in your paper manual added to Sentry box): http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/manual.pdf

No worries.

Reinforcements finally arrived and my friend basically built it for me (I had installed the motherboard and power supply but couldn't figure the rest out).

Here it is:

I absolutely love the red power switch! Perfect!

I didn't mean to sound like a negative Nancy earlier, I just apparently don't have as much experience as I thought. And screws always baffle me. :p

Last edited:

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016

We are in the middle of manufacturing last transport Sentry cases. It was a very busy week and we predict that the next two won't be easier.

We are receiving many questions about sending the tracking numbers. You ask, if we are preparing 7th transport, then why you still didn't receive your tracking number? The answer is simple: our transport company and we are sending tracking numbers after sending the package. We can't give you a tracking number before the package will be sent. It means, even if we are in the middle of assembling process of your case, you won't receive your shipping information until we will finish.

You also ask about building your pc inside Sentry. We found out that most of questions showed up because paper manual which we add with Sentry is just a short version of full instruction and it doesn't explain everything. You can find its extended version on our website and we also gave you a direct link in the paper manual. We also understand that we didn't write properly that this link leads to the better version of the instruction, and it is probably very confusing. We apologize for that. We will add it to the list of future improvements which must be made. If you still don't know what we are talking about, here is a link to the full, most up-to-date version of the Sentry manual:

One last topic. We noticed that many of transport companies don't update the tracking information, even if the package was delivered many weeks/months ago. We are asking our shipping company to ask their partners in your countries to update that information, but it takes very long. Because of that it also takes us very long to notice that some packages should already be delivered but they aren't. 10th week of waiting for delivery should be an alert for you that something is wrong with your transport. We are sending over 1000 packages so it is statistically possible that some cases could be damaged or lost. If you are worried about your package, please inform us about it. We will check if it is possible that this is just a delay or if this is a situation which we have to report to our shipping company or even start a warranty process with this company. We are also always very grateful for all the feedback which you decide to give us after the delivery process.

EndlessWaves

Chassis Packer
May 23, 2017
I got my 6th batch white case on Friday and built it at the weekend, here are some thoughts.

Outside:
1. It's big, but in a good way.
I'm coming from what's essentially the same size as a normal (non-gaming) Mini-ITX system, specifically a dell Optiplex 790 USFF. While I knew from the measurements the Sentry was going to be bigger what surprised me is how much difference the extra size makes.

My previous PC has always felt like just another item on the desktop, something lost among the clutter. The extra height and blank face of the Sentry really makes it stand out. I'm glad I went for the white, the black seems like it wouldn't have worked as well.

2. The finish was well chosen.
The matte, slightly textured finish suits the case's density and colour very well. The quality of application isn't perfect,, there are probably a dozen places around the case where there's a rogue particle or paint blob. They're all very small and not visible beyond about 50cm though.

3. The power switch could be better.
It seems solid enough but the feedback from pressing it doesn't have that special feel, and the red light tends to turn pinkish in brighter ambient light.

4. The vertical stand mechanism is very good.
Although I still can't make up my mind whether I like a black stand for the white case or not.

Assembly:
5. I had to bend the riser slot down substantially. Even after having followed the issues in the threads it took me a while before I could be sure that was the issue. When feeling underneath the bottom of the metal flap was flush with the edge of the riser so it needed to be bent down by the thickness of the metal. It's actually an awkward thickness and it took me a while to find something I could get into the gap to bend it with. I ended up using an IDE connector.

6. The riser itself was long enough that it protruded into the SATA drive space. Looking through other people's internal photos this seems to be normal and like a lot of owners I found myself using the mounting next to the power supply instead.

7. This meant that the manual's suggested assembly order was wrong as I then couldn't route cables with the drive in place. I think I ended up doing Motherboard, Power Supply, Riser, Graphics card, power cables, USB, 2.5" drive.

8. I used a Kolink 450W SFX PSU which is the same Sirfa platform as most of the rest but came with glorious unsleeved cables. After my last couple of builds used sleeved cables I'd forgotten how good the traditional sort were, they work so much better in small form factor systems. It used the type of SATA power connectors that are a right angle to the cable which I thought might be a problem but they worked perfectly fine on my OCZ Trion 150 in the aformentioned slot.

9. My Gigabyte B250N Phoenix-Wifi fitted well. I thought it wasn't going to at first, but after a slight push the backplate clicked into place and then the motherboard sat properly over the standoffs. They were very slightly off-center, but the screws went in without a problem.

10. It helps to have a thin screwdriver for the case, without one I'd have struggled to do up with hard drive screw with the GPU frame attached or the motherboard screw with the power supply connector above it. I used a jewellers screwdriver which worked well, I suspect an electrician's screwdriver would be too long.

Other:
11. I get some slight turbulence at low speed from the power supply fan. This does seem to disappear at higher speeds which my power supply does ramp up to despite my relatively modest load (G4560 + RX 460 4GB). The system as a whole is quite a bit noisier than when it was running in a temporary case and the power supply seems to be the largest component of that.

It would be interesting to see how Sentry with a FlexATX PSU compares, or an SFX PSU modified to a FlexATX airflow layout (60mm fan in the rear & mesh front). I know the FlexATX wires would have to protrude into the GPU compartment, but that wouldn't be an issue for all setups so if anyone has one available I'd love to see a test.

I miss the days when you could get a decent GPU for under 25W, I wish game developers would stop requiring such power hungry hardware purely for entertainment.

12. The screw labelling had be a bit confused until I realised that the count of the A screwed included the ones already attached to the case. I had to line up the three black screws in order of length to tell them apart.

You may also want to change the diagram for the feet assembly x4 to emphasise that each comes in three parts,

Last edited:

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016

Last transport Sentry cases are fully assembled, packaged into printed carton boxes and sealed with thermo-shrinkable foil. Next two weeks we will spend on filling customs documents and on packaging everything into external transport boxes. As it is the biggest shipping from which we had, it takes a little bit longer, but we predict that in 2 weeks we will start sending tracking numbers for those packages.

During the whole shipping process we were/are gathering all the information we are receiving from your feedback that can make this product better. At the start we had only several external testers. Now we have hundreds of them/of you, so if you have some thoughts about the current design which could make Sentry better, please let us know. We are receiving hundreds of question about the start of the future retail sales, but we do not want to be like other companies and just start sales because the product is popular, while we know there are fields which could be improved. We will decide "how and when" we will start the distribution after we will be sure that we did everything to give you the best product. We want everyone to be happy with their Sentry and because of that the feedback we already received (and which we will receive) is so important for us. If you will have some time, please join one of our forums and share with us your thoughts about Sentry. It may help to move forward the whole project and maybe you will show us some spots which could be made better but we never even thought about them. Thank you!

This week we won't show bonus photos (received from our backers) with computers built in Sentry cases, because we are receiving them through many channels (email, twitter, imgur, reddit, etc.) and we simply didn't have time to properly check all of them. We will add another pack of those great builds to one of the next updates. It means, if you want to share photos of your RIG with other backers, you still have time to send them to us. We will pick the best ones and they will show up in the weekly update.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
has the "long run" avaiable yet? or i arrive too late?

Available? Long run cases will be sent with the current, last transport. After we will get an information that every backer received his case, and also after receiving the feedback from them, we will decide what to do next (improvements? retail? etc.)

Filo99

Efficiency Noob
Aug 28, 2017
Available? Long run cases will be sent with the current, last transport. After we will get an information that every backer received his case, and also after receiving the feedback from them, we will decide what to do next (improvements? retail? etc.)
Ok, beacause on indiegogo i can't buy one and i think to be in late for the long run purchase
Thank for the support!

Reactions: Biowarejak

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Ok, beacause on indiegogo i can't buy one and i think to be in late for the long run purchase
Thank for the support!
The campaign ended months ago. Remember that was a crowdfunding campaign, not a storefront; you could only purchase it through donation to the funding campaign which is, as I mentioned, over.
Only thing you can do now is see if they plan to bring this to market as a permanent product. or run another campaign at some point in the future.