Production Dr Zaber Sentry - Console-sized gaming PC case project

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
So, I think mine has arrived. The missed delivery note is hard to read, but I think it says Zaber.
I thought you guys were going to send out tracking numbers.

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017

Could u tell me the GPU model? I saw the power connector is on the side instead of top, that's cool.

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
So, I think mine has arrived. The missed delivery note is hard to read, but I think it says Zaber.
I thought you guys were going to send out tracking numbers.

For packages sent to EU our transport company is sending the tracking number. For packages sent to countries outside EU our transport company should send you the tracking number, but because we received some information from people who should but didn't receive it, we are additionally sending this tracking number from our own email address... just to be sure. If you didn't receive the tracking number but you are sure that the package was sent to you, then you either gave us wrong email address or your mail box is blocking our or our transport company's emails (you should check your spam box).

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
Usually if you order something from outside US, when it arrives to the harbour customs services checks invoices and if the amount in this paper isn't over the limit, then your package is sent in further way. If your goods are too pricey, then customs services officer will call you and you will have to pay some internal taxes set by your country.

What is more, customs services may hold your package for some internal check. After that it will be again taken by transport company. In the matter of tracking, after leaving Poland the tracking stops until your package arrives to US. There is no matter what is your way of transport. When the package is on a ship on a sea or is in the air between several airports, the tracking stops for that moment. That was the problem with our packages sent by the sea.

Additional problems can be caused by USPS services who simply don't update their tracking information and sometimes they say that they don't know anything about your package while one day later they update their website with info your package is in their warehouse since 4 weeks.

Also your package can be hold for some unstandard check. For example some of our cases were checked if we aren't exporting to USA ancient artefacts or other very old stuff stolen by ISIS in Siria. This caused a delay for some packages.

To sum up: If you aren't ordering too expensive goods, then customs services shouldn't stop your package for more than few days. All packages sent from Europe should have at least some way of tracking, which may stop during its travel over the ocean.

Well I'm very fortunate then as it arrived yesterday without any issues, I actually didn't have to pay anything as far as imports(maybe a bill will come? No idea), AND USPS tracking was dead on!

Here's mine:

The postcard was a great touch!

Excellent job guys.

sashadkiselev

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2016
Hey is it possible to 3D print something similar to the Sentry as I have a membership to Fablabs and missed the campaign for the sentry?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey is it possible to 3D print something similar to the Sentry as I have a membership to Fablabs and missed the campaign for the sentry?
Certainly not for anything beyond personal use :) maybe check out the 3D Printing thread? Plenty of folks to talk about why it may/may not be feasible, and offer alternatives.

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
Ooook, so I decided to take a crack at building this today and haven't been able to get past installing the motherboard.

Not saying this is a flaw of the Sentry, I've had this same issue on my previous cases; the CM 110 and Node 202. Maybe just a thing with Mini ITX cases, and my general lack of experience in building PC's. (I've always had help from my friend whose an electrician but he is not available at the moment and I'd like to get in the habit of building myself.)

When I leave out the I/O shield the motherboard slips in just fine. I thought the M.2 SSD might be getting in the way but it wouldn't be if it fits fine without the shield, so it must be how I'm putting the shield on.

Also the counts seem to be off on some of the screws, not sure if this will be a problem.

Any tips?

Thanks

LC

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Isn't that board one that typically has troubles with the I/O shield, something to do about foam padding?

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Yeah, I don't recall having this problem with my previous mini itx board so it must be an issue with this one.

It's a decent motherboard overall but man, worst I/O shield ever. :p

We received some information from our backers about their I/O shields. Some of them are having issues because their I/O shield looks like to be a little bit to the left, and some are a little bit to the right. When we ask them if they can check those shields with other pc-cases in many situations they have similar issues. It looks like motherboards manufacturers not always are keeping tightly to the cases I/O plate hole dimensions, and also our tolerances for that hole are maybe a little bit too tight. We will try to improve it in the future. What is more, we also didn't leave too much space for that foam attached to the I/O plate. When we were designing Sentry, we were fighting for every mm, so if your I/O plate has too much foam, then there is a possibility you might need to use some force to put your motherboard in the right place. If the mobo's manufacturer is keeping to the ATX standard, then the holes in the motherboard should match the holes in the case (all of the standoffs are inserted into a sheet which was cut by the laser, so they must match). Please let us know if everything went well.

Reactions: Biowarejak

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
We received some information from our backers about their I/O shields. Some of them are having issues because their I/O shield looks like to be a little bit to the left, and some are a little bit to the right. When we ask them if they can check those shields with other pc-cases in many situations they have similar issues. It looks like motherboards manufacturers not always are keeping tightly to the cases I/O plate hole dimensions, and also our tolerances for that hole are maybe a little bit too tight. We will try to improve it in the future. What is more, we also didn't leave too much space for that foam attached to the I/O plate. When we were designing Sentry, we were fighting for every mm, so if your I/O plate has too much foam, then there is a possibility you might need to use some force to put your motherboard in the right place. If the mobo's manufacturer is keeping to the ATX standard, then the holes in the motherboard should match the holes in the case (all of the standoffs are inserted into a sheet which was cut by the laser, so they must match). Please let us know if everything went well.

Oh I knew it was probably going to a bear to build in either way, but I had forgotten about this bit (the foam padding).

I did manage to get it in yesterday though. I decided I would try screwing in just three screws, as it would probably be ok with that, then, I guess from the force of the other three screws, the other hole lined up just enough for the fourth screw on the left corner there.

I ran into other issues though and fortunately my electrician friend is coming over today to the rescue.

I think i'm on the right track but I don't have experience building and installing things like he does (he installs things like HVAC systems and MRI's) so I'm not very good with the variety of screws and little stuff like that.

Speaking of which, it appears as though I may not have gotten the proper amount of screws in my package, although what I do have should be enough to complete the build but like I said, I'm not very good with all that stuff.

I'll update later today after he comes over.

EDIT: Also I was having a problem with the pcie riser. I assume you're supposed to slide it in from the GPU compartment side? As it won't fit the other way. Also, there isn't enough clearance to bend the motherboard side into place. Could this just be a thing with my motherboard? Am I doing something wrong (highly probable :p)?

Last edited: