Prototype Diy Laptop build.

Circuit_Bear

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Hello there, so I have been working on a project that is somewhat of a laptop but not really , more of a ultra portable desktop Lantop? Any ways I originally posted this on the LTT forums link here linustechtips.com/main/topic/1030194-the-diy-laptop-proof-of-concept/.
So the idea was to make a computer case as closes to the size of the laptop with fully replaceable components and of course with a integrated keyboard.

I originally started with a half open case design then moved to a enclosed one. I recently finished the lower portion of the case and figured I should share on this forum as well. So here are some pictures of the build and some of the parts used in the build.
I am currently using
Custom lower handcrafted case measuring 49 cm long by 30cm wide by 28mm thicc boy.
IMB 1215 motherboard from asrock
Intel i5 8500 cpu
gtx 1660 ti
2 8gb corsair ram sticks
intel 660p 2 tb m.2 ssd
1u low profile copper cpu cooler block
1u low profile custom gpu cooler block and mount.
2 92mm low profile fans
anidees keyboard
Custom cabling
Hd Plex DCATX 400 w psu
DELL 330 W brick

This is still a prototype work in progress and I will probably change out some parts like the psu and maybe some cabling. Everything works although the mother board does not seem to like the 1660 ti.. It detects it but does not want to use it . It is a bios issue and driver incompatibility I think and will work on that soon along with the upper chassis for a 21 inch screen to be attached by some hinges. Anyways hope this is interesting to some.

Cheers

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Looks great!
1. Why the I/O cutout, deep into the laptop?
2. Why not have the case act as a heatsink?

I had a DIY AIO like this - Basically attached everything to the internal VESA mounts, and slapped the back plastic on standoffs on the back. I like your 'LANtop' platform (and moniker!) better.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hello there, so I have been working on a project that is somewhat of a laptop but not really , more of a ultra portable desktop Lantop? Any ways I originally posted this on the LTT forums link here linustechtips.com/main/topic/1030194-the-diy-laptop-proof-of-concept/.
So the idea was to make a computer case as closes to the size of the laptop with fully replaceable components and of course with a integrated keyboard.

I originally started with a half open case design then moved to a enclosed one. I recently finished the lower portion of the case and figured I should share on this forum as well. So here are some pictures of the build and some of the parts used in the build.
I am currently using
Custom lower handcrafted case measuring 49 cm long by 30cm wide by 28mm thicc boy.
IMB 1215 motherboard from asrock
Intel i5 8500 cpu
gtx 1660 ti
2 8gb corsair ram sticks
intel 660p 2 tb m.2 ssd
1u low profile copper cpu cooler block
1u low profile custom gpu cooler block and mount.
2 92mm low profile fans
anidees keyboard
Custom cabling
Hd Plex DCATX 400 w psu
DELL 330 W brick

This is still a prototype work in progress and I will probably change out some parts like the psu and maybe some cabling. Everything works although the mother board does not seem to like the 1660 ti.. It detects it but does not want to use it . It is a bios issue and driver incompatibility I think and will work on that soon along with the upper chassis for a 21 inch screen to be attached by some hinges. Anyways hope this is interesting to some.

Cheers

Very nice use of thin-itx!

Where did you get that motherboard?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Reminds me somehow of an Amiga 500!
Any plan to add a 3.5" floppy reader on its side? XD

Circuit_Bear

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 5, 2019
Looks great!
1. Why the I/O cutout, deep into the laptop?
2. Why not have the case act as a heatsink?

I had a DIY AIO like this - Basically attached everything to the internal VESA mounts, and slapped the back plastic on standoffs on the back. I like your 'LANtop' platform (and moniker!) better.
Hey so the idea was to not have an I/O cutout near anywhere other then the exhaust location for the heat to escape and also the layout of the components kinda just push me to have to integrate the I/O exhaust and Keyboard location all into one location. It is actually quite easy to access everything you just pop the keyboard out plug in what you need and re position the Keyboard. Although the only issue is when you want to plug in a USB Key... soo i will prob just run a usb cable for it.
The case does act as a heat sink along with the amazing copper blocs on both the gpu and cpu. There is is ruffly 1 mm of space between the case and heat sinks so any heat that does not get cooling would just radiate into the chassis and vent out some of the wholes there too. [ Atleast I think, I am no expert at thermo radiation]. Further more the case act like a duct to get the air from the 2 fans trough out the case with 50,5 m³/h per fan according to Noctua [Debatable really].

Reactions: thewizzard1