Mini GPU on a diet

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
^^Pretty much exactly the same! I'm building it with a 750 mini as a mock up card...then a 1050 mini as a first step....then going to build a 1060 mini when I have more funds. I think a 1070 is out of bounds due to cooling compromises, that and it's one of those 'wider' pcb's

How come the cpu is passive? space issues?

I decided I want to buy some hard-to-get low profile ram for this build to help with packaging, so the graphics card is on the backburner for now...I don't have a build thread here, but I should do one eventually, maybe once it's finished!

Reactions: Goatee

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
@Goatee Ah okay, I ended up going with the lowest profile cooler I could find, same for both the cpu and gpu now. Its actually low enough to make the ram the tallest part on the motherboard.. So to free up vertical height, my only option is to get vlp ram.

The board is an ASUS H110i S2. I had to go with the STX form factor because an ITX was basically the same dimensions as the case itself. It would have fitted... But nothing else would have!

Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I see the challenge! I wonder if something like a riser / adaptor might free up some space?

DDR4 adaptor is what I was thinking about but I don't think it saves you anything.

Reactions: Ross Siggers

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
@Goatee I did look at adapters, but there aren't any that would be useful to me. For example there's one on the page you linked...not only is it just as tall if not taller than the original ram module, it would limit me to a single stick;

^I literally can't see a single use case for this kind of adapter :p What I was actually looking at was the Innodisk DDR4 sodimm, linked to me by someone on here. They're so low they have no notches, because they sit below the retention clips!