Concept Desideri Havere - A Slim Watercooled SFF Case Concept

DannyH

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Hi SFF, I have recently seen the 1080 hot rod build from LinusTechTip and discovered the Small Form Factor build. I had encountered small form factor computer before like Alienware X51/Alpha, or ASUS G20. But all of them did not impress me due to the lack of power. However, the NFC S4 Mini case really strike my interest. Then I found out about the Sentry, which is also an awesome case that remind me the Portal Turret. While these two cases are great, there are still some compromises that I am not willing to take personally. For the S4 Mini, it would be the external adapter. For the Sentry, it would be the need to use small GPU if I want water cooling.

There is also that in both cases, you cannot really showcase the internal of the machine due to the GPU is facing other way from the motherboard

That's why I tried to come up with my own solution for this. For me that have no background in design or engineering or anything related, just because I am so enamored with the idea of small but powerful PC, I have abused my student account to get a AutoCAD license and arranged something like this:

Update:

Have not updated for a while. I changed the design again cause having the case holding the mb, rad and psu hovering is probably not a good idea.

This time I have also punched all the holes for the components and add tbolts to hold the acrylic parts together. This way, I can actually access every component independently without taking the whole setup apart.

The next thing is to lay these acrylic parts down to 2D drawing. I kinda need some advice on this because every single prototyping company has different format. Is it possible to put everything onto one pdf page?

If the design works, I plan to change the material of the parts into metal so that I can either increase the sturdiness or just stick with the lightness of acrylic depends on how many metal parts I swap in

Some feedback would be nice

Old stuff
So I looked into the AIO market and there are literally no decent 120mm cooler, the smallest acceptable AIO would have to be a 240mm or 140mm. So I have to redo the setup again to go with a 240mm AIO. Here it is

- The PSU is back to a SFX again. Right now it's probably only the SF600 is viable, but I think more are coming
- The AIO is now a 240mm cooler
- The height is increased again to accommodate the AIO. Now it stand at 430mm. The volume is 430mm x 310mm x 65mm = 8.6L (Back to the original volume I envisioned)

I think I am going to stick with this layout and move on to the punching holes for mounting and stuff. I have already compensate for the 5mm thick Acrylic which is going to be the material for the case. If it comes out nicely, I think I can change the material to 0.1 ~ 0.2 mm thickness steel

(As the beginner me, AutoCAD is torture, and my 390x struggled with it to boot)

So the idea here is not really new, but some touches were made to fit my preference:
- The GPU is face up to match the motherboard so that I can show the internal rig with transparent panel. The riser will go the space under the card, which also allows two SSDs to be mounted
- The custom water cooling loop is at the top of the rig, in the concept is the 60mm x3 radiator with 25mm thick fans, the empty space next to it will be for the pump and reservoir

The resulted internal volume of the case would be 310mm x 370mm x 75mm = 8.6L. That's a little bit bigger than Sentry's 7L but still smaller than Node 202's 10.2L

I plan to use acrylic for the whole case (please don't underestimate the power of a poor student). The case would be held together by acrylic parts instead of screws. If I go with that route, I can just design every part of the case and send it to a CNC or Laser Factory to be manufactured.

The next part of the development is to plan out the mounting holes and the part that would assemble the case. But before that, if there is any interest of feedback please don't hesitate to let me know. All opinions are valuable to me as this is the first time I have done something like this ever, and also forgive my ESL

Update: After reading some comment, I made some changes to the setup:

- As you can see, the PSU and the cooler's positions are now swapped
- The PSU is now a 1U PSU, the standard size is 240x100x40.5 for a wattage level of 700W
- The WC is changed from a custom loop to a standard AIO cooler, the one being shown is a H80i, the measured space is still enough for a 140mm AIO like the X42, but it will eat into the clearance for PCI-E plug
- One SSD is moved to the top of the PSU
- I have to increase the height of the case to 400mm, but by going back to a AIO cooler, I can shrink the thickness down to 65mm, which make the volume equal to 400x310x65 = 8.06L => Even less than the original 8.6L
- The low height PSU also leaves a lot of space, which I think is for cable management

More comments and feedback. are much appreciated...

Last edited:

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
Why you don't rotate the radiator 90 degree and blow the heat out of the side ? So you can reduce the high of the case of 65mm (inside high).

You can better switch to an dual 80mm or dual 92mm radiator cause you have better fan range with higher quality

Last edited:
Reactions: thewizzard1

Validifyed

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2017
Having played around with case designs casually for a few months now, Ive personally decided that Water cooling is not worth it.

My personal aim is to have the GPU sit low enough so that it acts effectively as a closed air cooling loop taking air and moving air from directly outside of the case. That said, currently im looking into the possiblity of doing bifurcation on my new Ryzen build for some VM pass-through action, at which point id have to use watercooling and your design seems ideal. Or just have my 970 on the closed loop, and the second card will be to crap to cause too much heat.

Validifyed

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2017
Also you haven't factored in the water-pipe attachments yet but you might find a 2u or 1u server PSU a better fit.

DannyH

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Your ESL is actually pretty good! :) For mounting and stuffs:

Thank you for your kind words, will look at these info after deciding on a layout

Why you don't rotate the radiator 90 degree and blow the heat out of the side ? So you can reduce the high of the case of 65mm (inside high).

You can better switch to an dual 80mm or dual 92mm radiator cause you have better fan range with higher quality

Because I planned to have this case in vertical position only. The other setup will require more volume to fit.

I would assume to avoid pulling hot air from or pushing it to the CPU fan.

Having played around with case designs casually for a few months now, Ive personally decided that Water cooling is not worth it.

My personal aim is to have the GPU sit low enough so that it acts effectively as a closed air cooling loop taking air and moving air from directly outside of the case. That said, currently im looking into the possiblity of doing bifurcation on my new Ryzen build for some VM pass-through action, at which point id have to use watercooling and your design seems ideal. Or just have my 970 on the closed loop, and the second card will be to crap to cause too much heat.

Also you haven't factored in the water-pipe attachments yet but you might find a 2u or 1u server PSU a better fit.

Thank you for the idea of using 1u PSU, I found out that it is actually possible to buy a 1u 700W PSU with standard measurement 250x100x40.5 or shorter for smaller wattage. I will update the design in the #1 post

Reactions: Biowarejak

DannyH

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Update layout again, this time I won't change the the arrangement anymore and move on to mounting holes and how to hold the pieces together

DannyH

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Have you seen the !nverse?

It seems that my case is very similar to that case. However, the main difference is that case is clearly designed to be lay flat, while my idea is to have the case stand vertically and showcasing the internal rig

DannyH

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Updated again, this time I kinda put all the pieces together. I am almost ready to prototype the layout

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Everything is coming together pretty nicely. I agree to having the PSU at the bottom, its weight makes the whole thing sturdier. Is there a separator between GPU and radiator? If I use a 170mm GPU would it fit 280 / 360mm?