Discussion Dell DA-2 8-pin connector PN

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Anybody know where to get the Dell proprietary 8-pin connectors, or at least a part number for them? It's time for me to finally ditch AC power, & go all DC, but I don't want to hack up my G-Unique or my brick. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Cotton

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Is it not a Molex mini-fit Jr?

https://www.powerstream.com/ac-12180.htm said:
The connector fits the MOLEX ATX power motherboard-style socket in two places, the one outlined in red, and the position outlined in green, though the pin assignments don't match the ATX voltages.

The connector on the end of the wire cable is a MOLEX 4.2mm pitch MiniFit Jr. However, Dell used a special configuration for this which has the rows reversed from the standard 8 pin MiniFit Jr. It does work with the ATX power socket as shown.
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Need-Help-Moding-A-Dell-DA-2-AC-Adapter/td-p/2916820 said:
Manufacturer Part #: 46207-1208
Manufacturer: Molex
Description:
Headers & Wire Housings Mini-Fit Jr LCP Vert . Hdr NoPeg 8Ckt Tin

::EDIT:: Turns out these are NOT suitable.

See if you can find these from local/online resellers:
Receptacles

Plugs
Headers

Last edited:
Reactions: CottonTexas

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019

Sadly, it's a Dell exclusive thing. I figured that if folks were building PSU's that accept the DA-2 connection, then it might be one of those things that are available, but you gotta know where to look (AKiTiO was a bit of a dead-end). Unfortunately, all those Molex connectors posted are not the correct configuration (as referenced in the first quote). I can't tel if G-Unique used a cut down ATX, or if they actually have a source, but I can tell that you did some digging on my behalf, & I appreciate the effort, but I think I'm just going to end up buying a sacrificial Dell brick & adapting a GX connection to integrate a DCDC-USB-200 from Mini-Box ...Who is currently not answering their e-mails or phone calls - C'mon Mini-Box, you're missing the money here. Do better :(
Cotton

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021

Sadly, it's a Dell exclusive thing. I figured that if folks were building PSU's that accept the DA-2 connection, then it might be one of those things that are available, but you gotta know where to look (AKiTiO was a bit of a dead-end). Unfortunately, all those Molex connectors posted are not the correct configuration (as referenced in the first quote). I can't tel if G-Unique used a cut down ATX, or if they actually have a source, but I can tell that you did some digging on my behalf, & I appreciate the effort, but I think I'm just going to end up buying a sacrificial Dell brick & adapting a GX connection to integrate a DCDC-USB-200 from Mini-Box ...Who is currently not answering their e-mails or phone calls - C'mon Mini-Box, you're missing the money here. Do better :(
Cotton
Ah shit. I thought it was like that one in the other link. My bad.

Have Dell reversed the whole thing? So technically you might be able to use the other one but the clip wouldn't operate...?

Reactions: CottonTexas

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Ah shit. I thought it was like that one in the other link. My bad.

Have Dell reversed the whole thing? So technically you might be able to use the other one but the clip wouldn't operate...?

No worries, I appreciate that you took the time to look into it. Dell did make the whole thing reversed - just to be difficult :)

Hector

Cable Smoosher
Dec 28, 2019
This looks easy to solve with a 3D printer.

EDIT: or just hand file the standard connector into the dell proprietary one.

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
This looks easy to solve with a 3D printer.

EDIT: or just hand file the standard connector into the dell proprietary one.

Already ordered a used brick from eBay for ~$17. Not exactly ideal, but given the alternatives, it's worth it I guess. Cotton