Ncase M1 version 5
G-Unique Power supply (Arch Deamon) limited edition
Dell Brick Ultimate version 450 watt
Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Kingston - FURY 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Crucial 1TB MX300 M.2 2280SS SSD
Using Integrated graphics on the CPU for now

First question is the black 8 pin connector from the g unique to the 8 pin cpu connector on the motherboard right? (1st picture) Sorry about the quality

Seconded question I accidentally put one of the red 8 pin connectors into the 8 pin cpu connector. I had power on my motherboard. Some lights came on but when I went to turn the power on everything just died. It would not turn on then. Unplugged the c14 cord from the wall and then remounted the hardware and plugged it back in. Now I'm not sure as I don't remember if I turned the power switch on or not but lights came on the motherboard and I thought I was in luck but I heard a pop and sizzle from the 12 pin male and female ends where they join from the dell power brick to the g unique, quickly unplugged the cord. Smelled a little bit like ozone but I don't see any damage like burn damage or anything. At that point I thought I was def doing something wrong with the 8 pin cpu connector. So I took the Red pin one out and put the black 8 pin one in. I Have not tried turning anything on as I'm scared I've screwed something totally up. So what is the best way to test everything? Should I try turning the unit back on or should I swap a different power supply in. I have a atx seasonic power supply I could test the motherboard and components on? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)!!!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, test with a different PSU first to make sure nothing died, then if it's all okay try again with your intended unit. Double check the pinout if you're worried. I had a similar pop from my HDPlex stuff when I first plugged it in, but it works perfectly fine. I think it was just an arc from the contacts getting acquainted. :)

begolf00

Case Bender
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Well I tried powering the motherboard with a different power supply and it booted. So I went to stick my thumb drive in and install windows and nothing happened, (Was prompted on screen to put in bootable media). Restarted the computer and my monitor is now saying it cannot find any input. I have it plugged into the hdmi input. I am going to try the dvi input as soon as I get a cable but I'm not holding my breath. I have tried reseating my ram sticks and that has done nothing. Will try cleaning them later today but I'm doubting that will work, as their brand new.

When I take my ram sticks out and I am just booting with the cpu installed I get three beeps on the motherboard that keep repeating. I'm not sure what bios I'm running. If anyone knows what bios asrock uses on intel z370 platforms that would be appreciated (I think its AMI)??? From my understanding I should be getting a postbeep if everything is installed correctly but I'm not getting any beep with the ram sticks installed. Not sure if that is normal for these boards or not???

Things I will try today.

1. Different Monitor (Didn't work)
2. Different hdmi cable (Didn't Work)
3. Dvi cable
4. Would like to try a dedicated gpu but I dont have one at the moment.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
3 beeps means the ram isn't detected (usually). I know because I literally just had that issue a few minutes ago. I put them in against the keying and the sockets only have a single latch so I didn't realize.