Wiring a 4-pin Mini-DIN connector

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I'd like to solder a Kycon 4-pin Mini-DIN connector to my G-Unique DC board. I'm wondering if I can hookup directly to Mini-DIN connector like this:

Or do I need a connector in between that can handle higher amperage per pin?

The Mini-DIN can handle 7.5A per pin.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I would use some wire wrapped around the pin sets, and then giant globs of solder. Otherwise, use something somewhat thiccer since a power button realistically won't be handling current for very long.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
@Thehack may have some more input on this, but I'd check with the manufacturer's specs of that connector to see what the maximum amperage per pin is. I assume it is a common stock part and you can probably get technical sheets off Mouser, Digikey, etc.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I would use some wire wrapped around the pin sets, and then giant globs of solder. Otherwise, use something somewhat thiccer since a power button realistically won't be handling current for very long.

The power button going to the motherboard power button header handles minimal current, mA range at best, and doesn't even go directly to the ATX connector.

What's shown in the drawing should be fine considering the DC-DC you're using I think the only reason for the Molex in between in the second pic is for easily swapping the panel connector to another format. HDPLEX does the same thing with their supplies.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Thanks for all the help. My main concern was whether doubling up on the pins would exceed the 7.5A per pin rating, but I imagine this isn't really having the same effect as a male Mini-DIN connector pins connecting to the female connector pins?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for all the help. My main concern was whether doubling up on the pins would exceed the 7.5A per pin rating, but I imagine this isn't really having the same effect as a male Mini-DIN connector pins connecting to the female connector pins?

The pin rating is for DIN to DIN mating.

Reactions: cleveland

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I found it interesting that the pinout on the AC adapters from Mini-box.com don't match the pinout of Meanwell and many other (but not all) Mini-DIN equipped AC adapters.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I believe I ran into that as well. I have a ~145w Meanwell AC adapter I got to use with a minibox pico psu, and the pinouts were different. Additionally the connector on my meanwell, while extremely visually similar, would not mate with the PicoPSU 160XT connector. I didn't look into that any farther at the time but there must be variations/lookalikes of the 4 pin Mini-DIN type connector with subtle differences.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I believe I ran into that as well. I have a ~145w Meanwell AC adapter I got to use with a minibox pico psu, and the pinouts were different. Additionally the connector on my meanwell, while extremely visually similar, would not mate with the PicoPSU 160XT connector. I didn't look into that any farther at the time but there must be variations/lookalikes of the 4 pin Mini-DIN type connector with subtle differences.

I remember looking into this some time ago, there is a "Power DIN" connector (Kyco or Kycon ?) pins an shell are bigger pin numbering might be different as well.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
The Meanwell male Mini-DIN is a little different than the male connectors found on the AC adapters sold by mini-box.com, but they will physically fit. It is a tight fit. The Meanwell Mini-DIN is locking type.

The actual pinout on the AC adapter is what is different. So the +/- pins vary depending on the brick. So the Meanwell brick will not power up a computer using an stock PicoPSU and female Mini-DIN connector.

It looks like for wiring this Mini-DIN connector, I think I am going to have to splice the two extra wires into the G-Unique power wires, instead of looping them over to the Mini-DIN terminals.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
@Lone I swapped the pins on the minibox jack for mine to match the meanwell, and jammed the connectors together as tight as I could, but my 160XT didn't get power. That's the point at which I stopped pursuing it any further. I do know that 160XT works just fine since I later used it with a Meanwell EPP-400-12. Maybe I need to pull out that Meanwell brick to get the model number.

I guess I could have damaged a wire/pin while swapping them around but it seemed fine to me at the time.

Are you looking to use some mini din AC adapters with G-unique? Could I ask which ones?

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@Lone I swapped the pins on the minibox jack for mine to match the meanwell, and jammed the connectors together as tight as I could, but my 160XT didn't get power. That's the point at which I stopped pursuing it any further. I do know that 160XT works just fine since I later used it with a Meanwell EPP-400-12. Maybe I need to pull out that Meanwell brick to get the model number.

Maybe I damaged a wire/pin while swapping them around but it seemed fine to me at the time

Hmm... hopefully mine works, because I have the same Kycon connector that the PicoPSU uses, and a Meanwell AC adapter.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I created a short list of external AC power supplies to compare pinout. Most use the same pinout as the PicoPSU units, but some appear to be the same 192W power adapter just sold under a different brand.