DAN SFX 4 - with AIO

zedstar

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Hi Team , been using a 1700x with a noctua NHL9a in the dan case. I was also sporting an rx580 and then the bug to upgrade hit me (not the other one). I decided to go to a 2070 super, and 3600x, performance was great! All was good but i was looking at the thermals and was worried it wasn't being cooled well, its so damn tight in there. So on I went to get a asetek 645LT. Popped that guy in and thermals looking better but still think its on the high side. Now i have 2 issues I am slowly working through - how to cram the wires back in (or get new ones that are shorter and bend easier) and how i improve those damn thermals (60c on idle).

Thoughts and comments appreciated! be well.

Beat

Case Bender
New User
May 8, 2020
Watch out of its really 60C at idle! That might break the AIO, because the liquid shouldnt get over 60C for long periods of time.

zedstar

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
so what should I do? I have the fan in push mode on to the radiator. No matter what i do (already applied new paste) the temps on idle are high. Am i doing something wrong?

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
decided to go back to air cooling.

Did your temps improve upon reverting to air cooling? By any chance did you happen to try getting temp readings with the rad/fan in open air and not mounted in the case? Any difference if the fan is set to pull instead of push?

zedstar

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Did your temps improve upon reverting to air cooling? By any chance did you happen to try getting temp readings with the rad/fan in open air and not mounted in the case? Any difference if the fan is set to pull instead of push?
i got better temps by going air cooled with liquid metal as the paste on the L9a. I didn't try using the rad outside the case, I knew air ventilation was tough to start with and its pretty cramped in there with all the wires. I didnt bother experimenting outside of the case as there was no way I was going to let it run like this indefinitely - didnt switch from push to pull.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Hi @zedstar , as I don't have Ryzen system I can't be sure but, is there any possibility to rotate your L9a by 90º? According to your photo L9a the fins are facing towards the RAM stick, effectively blocking the airflow on that side. By rotating the cooler 90º the airflow could go to the top and bottom (there I would recommend you to invert the mobo fan into exhaust config) and therefore being able to put heat away from your system.

Either you keep aircooling or want to give watercooling another try, it is certainly recommendable to get some custom cables. There are cheap options on Al*****ess and you can get the custom length you want down to the cm. I got myself the ATX 24pin and the SATA cables to sort out the original Corsair monstruosity: 10€ both (shipping included) and the quality is 95% of the original.

24ATX.md.jpg

SATA.md.jpg

Also, Dan himself pointed on another post that spikes on Ryzen systems are normal due to the chip jumping into turbo mode and so, but the temps should stabilize few seconds after. Maybe you can change anything related to TDP into your bios? something like 90W etc.

Well! I hope you can work it out ?

Last edited:

zedstar

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Hi @zedstar , as I don't have Ryzen system I can't be sure but, is there any possibility to rotate your L9a by 90º? According to your photo L9a the fins are facing towards the RAM stick, effectively blocking the airflow on that side. By rotating the cooler 90º the airflow could go to the top and bottom (there I would recommend you to invert the mobo fan into exhaust config) and therefore being able to put heat away from your system.

Either you keep aircooling or want to give watercooling another try, it is certainly recommendable to get some custom cables. There are cheap options on Al*****ess and you can get the custom length you want down to the cm. I got myself the ATX 24pin and the SATA cables to sort out the original Corsair monstruosity: 10€ both (shipping included) and the quality is 95% of the original.

24ATX.md.jpg

SATA.md.jpg

Also, Dan himself pointed on another post that spikes on Ryzen systems are normal due to the chip jumping into turbo mode and so, but the temps should stabilize few seconds after. Maybe you can change anything related to TDP into your bios? something like 90W etc.

Well! I hope you can work it out ?
Hey thanks for coming back to me, appreciated. Man those cables bug the hell out of me - i ordered some tools to make my own custom ones. I cant for the life of me find shorter and thinner usb front (female type A) panel to the mobo 20 pin. I will check out further cables but i think my days of AIO are done - will end up selling this new 645LT.

On the L9a, for AMD its not possible to rotate - its longer one direction (more rectangle mount) than square.

zedstar

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
What lengths were your cables?
the default that came with the sff600 corsair. havent measured but wayyy too long.

if anyone knows how to replace the default USB 3.1 (type a) header cable with a thinner one to the mobo 20 pin out appreciated.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hi Team , been using a 1700x with a noctua NHL9a in the dan case. I was also sporting an rx580 and then the bug to upgrade hit me (not the other one). I decided to go to a 2070 super, and 3600x, performance was great! All was good but i was looking at the thermals and was worried it wasn't being cooled well, its so damn tight in there. So on I went to get a asetek 645LT. Popped that guy in and thermals looking better but still think its on the high side. Now i have 2 issues I am slowly working through - how to cram the wires back in (or get new ones that are shorter and bend easier) and how i improve those damn thermals (60c on idle).

Thoughts and comments appreciated! be well.
Nothing strange in the temp! Looks great! The Ryzen spikes a lot of time in the 50/60C! But doesn't mean the coolant is at that temp!
I'll bet under stress the coolant will be at around 50C, and during normal use at around 36C, but we will never know it!
Enjoy it!

Squarehed

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 4, 2020
the default that came with the sff600 corsair. havent measured but wayyy too long.

if anyone knows how to replace the default USB 3.1 (type a) header cable with a thinner one to the mobo 20 pin out appreciated.

Sorry, I meant the replacements you bought.