Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
The 90/92mm fan mount holes are built into the heatsink. I believe someone over on [H] had to file down the screwholes in order to get the NF-A12x15 to fit (and also had issues with the provided fan clips).

With a NF-A9x14 2200RPM/1.5W + Kryonaut on an open bench the Black Ridge appears to be able to hold the 9900K at ~90-92'C with a 155W load (Blender Classroom, 4.7GHz AVX with -30 VOffset [1.21v load]).

With a 92mm fan I think a 130-135W Long Duration Power Limit might be possible. The heatsink does a very good job of conducting and dissipating heat (gets warm to the touch) and as someone mentioned it takes a while to saturate the cooler, but it just doesn't have enough mass or surface area to be able to handle hot stuff for too long.

Reactions: Nanook and Soul_Est

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
Just got to putting mine together and damn the 120mm fan mounting system is a pain in the butt haha(For mounting the 120mm slim on the top side, not sure why mounting a 120mm slim to the bottom and 25mm on top clips are much easier to insert). Not sure why they thought threading a wire, through a tiny hole, through multtiple layers of fins was a good idea. The ends of the wires are too long and make it difficult to insert at an angle; they shouldve been half their length.

I actually don't plan to use this in the A4, I bought it just to test how it compares to the L12 and L12s in the Ghost S1. I'm pretty confidant the the L12 and L12s will cool better just from shear heatsink mass, but it'll be fun to test. I was actually trying to use 2x 120mm slim fans since I have VLP ram, but it doesn't look like there's an official way to do it so 92mm+120mm slim it is.

Also can confirm 92mm mounting holes interfere with the fan blades on the Noctua a12x15 when mounted on the bottom. Not a problem unless you're using VLP ram and plan to use a 120mm fan, but if you are you'll need to sand them down. Unfortunately I only own Noctua 120mm slim fans so I can't test if it inteferes with other fans. Not sure why the threads protrude out instead of being flush. Edit: I did some fiddling and after remounting the fan, it no longer hit the 92mm threads. It's very close though and i still stand by my statement that they should've been flush.

Last edited:

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
I was really impressed with the Black Ridge in push-pull, but I was using a 25mm thick NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM fan up top (what Alpenfohn calls "overclocking mode") pushing down from the top and the NF-A9x14 in pull below.

On the same ~150W Blender Classroom run I was getting temperatures within 6-7'C of a NH-D15S with dual NF-A15s.

YMMV of course.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jrasero

Chassis Packer
May 2, 2019
I just got my Rev2 Black Ridge Cooler yesterday and installed it on my Z390 Phantom ITX board with no issues. I did swap out the stock fan which just felt super cheap with a slim Noctua 92mm.

However the cooler really isn't black and if you can tell in the photo there is a dark spot on the fins where it seems like some of the fins has been ever so slightly bent and some extra solder spilled onto? Also at the end of the heat pipes some extra solder is present. At the bottom I wasn't able to capture a photo but all 6 heat pipes seem properly soldered and show no gaps.

Are these imperfections just cosmetic?

Black Ridge Cooler Rev2

Reactions: Shinken1

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I just got my Rev2 Black Ridge Cooler yesterday and installed it on my Z390 Phantom ITX board with no issues. I did swap out the stock fan which just felt super cheap with a slim Noctua 92mm.

However the cooler really isn't black and if you can tell in the photo there is a dark spot on the fins where it seems like some of the fins has been ever so slightly bent and some extra solder spilled onto? Also at the end of the heat pipes some extra solder is present. At the bottom I wasn't able to capture a photo but all 6 heat pipes seem properly soldered and show no gaps.

Are these imperfections just cosmetic?

Black Ridge Cooler Rev2
They look cosmetic to me, and shouldn't impact performance. It's up to you if you want to live with the "defect".

I got mine on Monday. I think the glossy black tint looks cool.

jrasero

Chassis Packer
May 2, 2019
They look cosmetic to me, and shouldn't impact performance. It's up to you if you want to live with the "defect".

I got mine on Monday. I think the glossy black tint looks cool.

is your this metallic/silver looking? Really there is nothing "Black" about this... As long as it cools properly it doesn't matter to me but I thought the black was supposed to help cool

jrasero

Chassis Packer
May 2, 2019
is your this metallic/silver looking? Really there is nothing "Black" about this... As long as it cools properly it doesn't matter to me but I thought the black was supposed to help cool

So I just called OverclockersUK and sent them my photos and they confirmed their whole stock has this light metallic color and the photos on their site is just photos are just 3D renders

Reactions: Soul_Est

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Yeah the v2 is shiny black tinted metallic looking, while the previos v1 was pitch black. I’m happy that the v2 heat pipes are fully in contact with the cpu block. My v1 had about several air gaps between the heat pipes and the blocks. Haven’t had a chance to test the v2 yet.

jrasero

Chassis Packer
May 2, 2019
Hope sfflab can sell these :)

Same here. haha

I am not sure where you are located but OverclockerUK sells them, however they are currently out of stock. Shipped to NY it costed me $69 shipped which isn't cheap but in no ways crazy either for a niche cooler designed around the Dan Case which I plan to build in. Delivery took 3 days and the only hassle is that DHL requires a signature.

I personally have had mixed results with SFFLab and nothing IMO ships in 3 days with them... Granted they are the only place to my knowledge that carries the NCase M1. You can buy the Dan Case on Overclockers but it is currently on backorder until mid-end of May. My Dan Case from SFFLab shipped on 5/3/19 and I paid $25 for the basic 3-5 week shipping so it will be interesting to see if just waiting for Overclockers stock to be filled and having it shipped 3 days would be faster...

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I bought one while Overclockers UK still had some in stock. ?

I plan to use a Noctua 120x15 underneath inside of a Dan-style case. Is there any word on which direction the air should go? Toward the PCB or Away from the PCB? If I recall, it was shown on an open test bench that down (toward the PCB) was better, but is this still true inside the case?

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
I bought one while Overclockers UK still had some in stock. ?

I plan to use a Noctua 120x15 underneath inside of a Dan-style case. Is there any word on which direction the air should go? Toward the PCB or Away from the PCB? If I recall, it was shown on an open test bench that down (toward the PCB) was better, but is this still true inside the case?

Towards pcb with IO shield off has proven best. Adding a shroud helps as well.

Reactions: friendscatdied

Protools

Average Stuffer
Oct 10, 2018
I am not sure where you are located but OverclockerUK sells them, however they are currently out of stock. Shipped to NY it costed me $69 shipped which isn't cheap but in no ways crazy either for a niche cooler designed around the Dan Case which I plan to build in. Delivery took 3 days and the only hassle is that DHL requires a signature.

I personally have had mixed results with SFFLab and nothing IMO ships in 3 days with them... Granted they are the only place to my knowledge that carries the NCase M1. You can buy the Dan Case on Overclockers but it is currently on backorder until mid-end of May. My Dan Case from SFFLab shipped on 5/3/19 and I paid $25 for the basic 3-5 week shipping so it will be interesting to see if just waiting for Overclockers stock to be filled and having it shipped 3 days would be faster...

Ive bought a ncase m1 and a s4mini from them. Im located in South Korea so shipping from either UK or whatever prob will be more expensive than sfflab which ships from Taiwan. Also would be nice to buy dan a4 and the cooler altogether.

HFoletto

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2019
Hey, I'm kind of out of the loop, so I could really use some help.

Is this the best air cooler for the Dan Case A4-SFX?
I read that the v1 version didn't show much improvements over the Noctua L9.

Also, does it benefit from changing the fan to a Noctua NF A9x14 PWM?

Do we know when will it be back on stock again?

Thank you!

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Hey, I'm kind of out of the loop, so I could really use some help.

Is this the best air cooler for the Dan Case A4-SFX?
I read that the v1 version didn't show much improvements over the Noctua L9.

Also, does it benefit from changing the fan to a Noctua NF A9x14 PWM?

Do we know when will it be back on stock again?

Thank you!
The V1 had a manufacturing defect where the heat pipes were not correctly soldered to the heat spreader, invalidating most testing results. With the included 90mm fan, the performance shouldn't be much better than the Noctua L9 (as I understand it).

To make this the best air cooler, you need to use the Noctua 120x15 fan paired with VLP ram. This is exactly what I'm going to do, but I don't have a way to test this right now. I won't have all the needed parts for likely a few more months. :( I snagged this early since I have no idea if/when they'll get more inventory.

As for swapping the fan, I would suggest using Thermalright 100mm Slim Fan as a replacement if you are not using VLP ram. It will align with the 90mm mounting holes and the slim side shouldn't interfere with LP ram. I believe that increasing the area the fan covers would do more for cooling than the NF A9x14 would do.

Reactions: HFoletto and fabio

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
It’s probably the best air cooler for the A4 when using a 120x15mm slim fan. The upcoming Cryorig C7G might be competitive but it’s hard to say until that’s released.

The 92mm configuration appears to be competitive with the NH-L9i + fan duct and better than the L9i without duct.

I’m actually not sure how the stock Alpenfohn 92mm performs/sounds or why people swap it out for the NF-A9x14. I believe the stock fan spinal up to 2800rpm (12-27% faster than the A9x14 variants) and it’s around 1mm thicker but I’ve no idea about CFM etc. It looks similar to the Akasa slim 92mm but not sure it’s the same fan.

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
As for swapping the fan, I would suggest using Thermalright 100mm Slim Fan as a replacement if you are not using VLP ram. It will align with the 90mm mounting holes and the slim side shouldn't interfere with LP ram. I believe that increasing the area the fan covers would do more for cooling than the NF A9x14 would do.
This was my ambition but the TY-100 doesn’t allow the cooler to fit into the motherboard (ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac), even in its narrowest 101mm width.

The stock 92mm fan frame is already very very close to touching the RAM heatspreaders (Corsair Vengeance LPX) on one side and the VRM heatsink on the other.

Depending on your motherboard it may be possible though, and it might work on the ASRock Z390 Phantom with naked headspreader-less DDR4 + removal of the VRM heatsink.