Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Talyrius

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2018
There are a LOT of SFF cases that don't make use of flexible riser cables. Why severely limit compatibility on something that's already such a niche product? They had an opportunity to correct their mistake with this new revision and they overlooked it once again.

Reactions: vanbeveren

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
That doesn't look friendly to the silverstone raven02 case either with its 90o daughter card. would have to buy a flexible adapter

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
There are a LOT of SFF cases that don't make use of flexible riser cables. Why severely limit compatibility on something that's already such a niche product? They had an opportunity to correct their mistake with this new revision and they overlooked it once again.

Yea...but then it’s not made for those cases. This cooler is aimed for a specific type of case. :) And in this niche it performs best! And just to be clear: It overlaps the PCIe slot with my Z390 board. There are differences in not only the platform but even the manufacturer. The socket placement has just ruff guidelines and differ from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock all the time. I saw some pictures of some B450 Boards by Gigabyte for example where the PCIe slot was completely clear with the Black Ridge. But like I’ve said: That’s not the point of this cooler! ;)

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I made a post on [H] about my results but I'll post them here for anyone that doesn't view that forum. Comparing to my previous LP53 with duct. Both have the slim Noctua PWM fans (92mm and 120mm) and are intaking air from outside. CPU is 7700k at 4.6GHz with AVX set to +4 and 0.05V undervolt.

Prime95 - Small FFTs - AVX On (running at 4.2GHz)
LP53 - 82°C
Black Ridge - 73°C

Prime95 - Small FFTs - AVX Off (running at 4.6GHz)
LP53 - 80°C
Black Ridge - 72°C

Handbrake - Encode 720p H.264 to H.265 at 1500kbps, slow preset (4.2GHz)
LP53 - 71°C
Black Ridge - 64°C

Please note that I had to create a duct (simply cardboard perimeter duct) for the Black Ridge as air seemed to be recirculating in the case. I did tests with both duct on and off to prove this. Results below,

With Shroud
Prime95 (AVX +4, 4.2GHz) - 73°C
Prime95 (AVX off, 4.6GHz) - 72°C

Without Shroud
Prime95 (AVX +4, 4.2GHz) - 83°C
Prime95 (AVX off, 4.6GHz) - 81°C

I've also got a 3D printed duct on its way, perfect size for the Dan A4 but it would be easy enough to modify the height of it to match any other case that this heatsink fits on. I'll share the file once I've tested that it is a perfect fit.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
For anybody interested in my temperature results and expected noise level of the Black Ridge running a 92mm fan to keep the i7-8700K @5.0GHz nice and comfy, feel free to skip directly to 14:36 to see my results! ;)
By the way: for my testing I've let the system for 30 min. in idle and then run 5x Cinebench R15 directly in a row with one IntelBurnTest run to validate general stability of the system and get the same amount of peak load through the two setups!
Prime95 is stable but will throttle at 5.0GHz and AVX loads...thats why I didn't bother!

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Sent Alpenföhn an email. For us folks in the US they at least confirmed to me OCuk will be getting stock "in the near future". No date though.

Awesome. Keep us in the loop. I need to get one of these.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Can anyone confirm if replacing the stock fan with the Noctua NF-A9x14 yields any improvement in thermals or noise?

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I've done a comparison between the Alpenföhn Black Ridge and the new Asetek 645LT in a...lets say simulated enviorment! ;) Just to get a ruff guess on what to expect from both cooling solutions inside the Dan A4...still waiting for the V4 to reach the shelfs in Germany tho! :D

The system was running an i7-8700K @5.0GHz and 1.28v with an LCC of 2 to reach great stability even while running Prime95 and full AVX load.
All temperatures were measured after 5 Cinebench runs (R15) in a row and one run of IntelBurnTest to approve system stability.
Both cooling solutions used the Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM 92mm fan running in auto.

My results:

Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V1:
Min. 45°C
Max. 96°C

Asetek 645LT:
Min. 34°C
Max. 77°C

Max. while running Prime95 with FFTs in space in a Custom Run was 98°C that with a peak of 195W running through the package...
I call that a win! :D

I have done a comparsion between the Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V1 and the new released V2 the day before and the results are matching relativly well to the given ambient temperature of the day the testing was done:

Min 40°C
Max. 93°C

Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V2:
Min 34°C
Max. 90°C

The interesting part of that is that the Min. temperature was measured always after 15 min of the system idling and the Asetek 645LT and the BLACK RIDGE V2 are getting the same results at idle which is quiet impressive. All that said: The BLACK RIDGE can get a advantage in noise and better temperatures with using the VLP RAM and a 120mm fan...but that's going to be another video! :) Cheers

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
It's up on OCuk for those of you in the US. I recommend if you have other things to buy that aren't readily available in the US you browse around, as adding a few more things didn't increase my shipping cost.

jrasero

Chassis Packer
May 2, 2019
I've done a comparison between the Alpenföhn Black Ridge and the new Asetek 645LT in a...lets say simulated enviorment! ;) Just to get a ruff guess on what to expect from both cooling solutions inside the Dan A4...still waiting for the V4 to reach the shelfs in Germany tho! :D

The system was running an i7-8700K @5.0GHz and 1.28v with an LCC of 2 to reach great stability even while running Prime95 and full AVX load.
All temperatures were measured after 5 Cinebench runs (R15) in a row and one run of IntelBurnTest to approve system stability.
Both cooling solutions used the Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM 92mm fan running in auto.

My results:

Min. 45°C
Max. 96°C

Asetek 645LT:
Min. 34°C
Max. 77°C

Max. while running Prime95 with FFTs in space in a Custom Run was 98°C that with a peak of 195W running through the package...
I call that a win! :D

I have done a comparsion between the Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V1 and the new released V2 the day before and the results are matching relativly well to the given ambient temperature of the day the testing was done:

Min 40°C
Max. 93°C

Alpenföhn BLACK RIDGE V2:
Min 34°C
Max. 90°C

The interesting part of that is that the Min. temperature was measured always after 15 min of the system idling and the Asetek 645LT and the BLACK RIDGE V2 are getting the same results at idle which is quiet impressive. All that said: The BLACK RIDGE can get a advantage in noise and better temperatures with using the VLP RAM and a 120mm fan...but that's going to be another video! :) Cheers

GucksTV thank you for you posting. I have a Dan Case A4 V4 on preorder and bought the Asetek 645LT when I thought Dan was also raising the the PSU by almost .20 of an inch but only to find out this was not the case. I know the 645LT has swivel hoses that should make it easier to install but I am dreading the cable management and the possible bulging cables.

Today I saw on Overclockers they had the Alpenfohn Black Ridge for sale and started to watch your video and while I don't understand German the V2 min max temps results were very helpful, thank you since I also plan on running an i7 8700K. My question is my i7 8700K has been delided with liquid metal and I don't think I am going to overclock my chip, do you think while gaming it can stay at sub 80 degrees, preferably 75 or lower?

If the Alpenfohn Black Ridge can't stay under 80 degrees I guess I literally will have to force the Asetek 645LT into my build...

Reactions: GucksTV

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Can the fan placement be offset by a few mm in either direction? I'm not sure how flexible the provided fan clips are -- just wondering whether 92mm fan placement is forced to be dead-center or whether there's a little bit of play.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
My question is my i7 8700K has been delided with liquid metal and I don't think I am going to overclock my chip, do you think while gaming it can stay at sub 80 degrees, preferably 75 or lower?

If the Alpenfohn Black Ridge can't stay under 80 degrees I guess I literally will have to force the Asetek 645LT into my build...

My video showed of the worst case scenario with synthetic load and that while staying at 5GHz overclocked! I will upload my 1080p and 4K Gaming Benchmarks during the following days, but the Black Ridge can comfortably stay around the 70*C while gaming...the Asetek 645LT can be great for higher TDP Chips and more professional workflow like video editing over longer time periods. But I guess most people will be more then fine with the Alpenföhn option! :) Cheers

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
Can the fan placement be offset by a few mm in either direction? I'm not sure how flexible the provided fan clips are -- just wondering whether 92mm fan placement is forced to be dead-center or whether there's a little bit of play.

Just got mine here the US (damn DHL is quick). To anwser your question the 92mm fan is held in by screws, not clips like a 120mm fan. Meaning officially it's set to a static position. I guess if you really wanted to, you could mount it elsewhere using zipties, but not using the official 92mm fan mounting holes.