Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I just tested compatibility with my AM4 boards inside Sentry. As it was said before on [H], the combo bracket for AMD(AM4/AM3/AM2?) has collision with some vrm components on my asrock board while it doesn't happen on biostar unit. I've checked it online for other boards. Asrock/MSI are no go because of this, Asus/Gigabyte look fine.

Apart from that it is really bad that it goes over the PCI-E slot with the heat pipe endings and the last fin, because it means you can only use it in cases with flexible risers. I have no idea if it fits in anything with standard layout like M1 or cube cases.

I'll try to test this out in my case for comparison with other coolers I've tested so far (on R7 1700/R5 2600X/R7 2700X), but I'm not so keen on using for my daily driver PC unless it's really whole lot better, because it obstructs 2.5" drive slots ;/

I'll probably mod the brackets on one side by mounting them in vise and bending the ends upwards. This way it won't be a combo bracket anymore.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey guys, registered to share my experience with the BlackRidge. My configuration at first: DanCases A4-SFX, ASRock B350 Gaming itx/ac, AMD Ryzen R7 1800X UC@3,4GHz/UV@1,024V, GTX 960 4G, 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000MHz CL15 LP. The Cooling of the CPU did a Cryorig C7 with a cardboard fanduct.
First of all building quality and ease of installation: building quality so so, the cpu plate has little bobbles at the rims of the surface, not very well polished. The fan is not very good. On its first run I let it run on max rpm and there where serious bearing noises which wouldn't stop after slowing it down again. Really shitty fan noise wise I would say. Installation as was mentioned before was not possible until I used my Dremel on the AM4/3 clamps. The form of them and the support of sockets AM3 and downwards is imo not necessary and creates compatibility issues...who is building sff with am3 or even downwards sockets???
But then I got it to run, here the results:

Cryorig C7+FanDuct; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 18,9 °C
2054 rpm
64°C
51db
88,39W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Alpenföhn BlackRidge; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 17,3 °C
2626 rpm
75°C
50db
91,65W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Alpenföhn BlackRidge/flipped heatsinkfan; Prime maxHeat 20min; Room 18,5 °C
2402 rpm
63°C
44db
88,23W Power Consumption R7
1.040V VCore

Remarks: the db was measured with a Samsung S7 from 10cm distance with closed vented site panels. Even though the absolute values might not be correct, subjectively the general message of the measurements is correct. Due to the fact that the default position of the BlackRidge Fan counteracts the ventilation philosophy of the A4 the results are really bad. Once the fan is flipped, it's quieter and a little bit cooler than the C7 with a fanduct, so there is a little headroom there. But to be honest I expected a little more of the BlackRidge. I thought defaultclocks! of the 1800X would be possible. Now I'm thinking about switching the fan to the Noctua... switching cooler to C7 Cu or switching Case to Ghost S1 with quite a better CPU Cooler ;)
Or switch to a 2700! I have the 2700x and I’m becoming crazy to keep it at stock with good temp. Seems impossible! At least my previous 8700k with the L9i at stock 3.7gjz in all core was under Prime at 80 degrees!

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
The cooler in Sentry 2.0 looks like this:

Note the way drive is laying freely between the rail and the PSU, no other way to do this ;/

OK, so I'm past the first CPU tests, the 2700X. The results are actually really interesting.

I have mounted the fan to pull the air from the outside through the fin stack because default orientation to push out air through it performed not that well inside Sentry, it was really similar if not worse than NH-L9i. I was not amused by the cooler at that point. It was most likely because it was pulling hot air from the GPU this way.

Noteworthy is that I'm comparing the temps to what I tested over few months now and it got cold recently so the ambient temp in the room is ~2 degrees lower than when I started testing few months ago, although luckily tests were done on overcast days so far.

I'm also using different board and different memory this time because of the cooler limitations. It's biostar X370GTN instead of asrock B350 itx ac and corsair LPX 3000 instead of g.skill ripjaws 3200, everything is set the same way though, the only difference may be the power section on the biostar board. I'll have to investigate that later though.

I'm testing it the same as all other tests that are already on our website in the gallery. 10 games/benchmarks ran with same settings on 1080p/max details/vsync-off in both horizontal and vertical orientation. Test are run in sequence without much time for the system to cool down. All coolers were run on aggressive fan curve for the fan to react quicker in those short tests, except for wraith stealth modded with titan fan because of the auto settings being really weird on this fan.

The footage for 2700X is already captured. I've noted the stable/sustained temps at the end of each test (so after heat up) while there's still the same load. I'm discarding spikes and max temps when the fan curve doesn't catch up to the momentary boost because it's not stable and repeatable. I'm not averaging temps for each test on their own either because that's not telling us anything really, but I'm averaging those noted sustained heat up temps from all those 10 games/benchmarks to have single numer.

Ryzen 7 2700X, temperature deltas for Black Ridge in vertical orientation:
vs Corsair H75: +12 °C
vs Noctua NH-L9i: -5 °C
vs Cryorig C7: +1 °C
vs Wraith Stealth w/ Titan Fan: -10 °C

in horizontal orientation:
vs Corsair H75: +5 °C
vs Noctua NH-L9i: -7 °C
vs Cryorig C7: 0 °C
vs Wraith Stealth w/ Titan Fan: -10 °C

Ryzen 5 2600X, temperature deltas for Black Ridge in vertical orientation:
vs Corsair H75: +10 °C
vs Noctua NH-L9i: -6 °C
vs Cryorig C7: +1 °C
vs Wraith Stealth w/ Titan Fan: -11 °C

in horizontal orientation:
vs Corsair H75: +6 °C
vs Noctua NH-L9i: -4 °C
vs Cryorig C7: 0 °C
vs Wraith Stealth w/ Titan Fan: -6 °C

In most games it sustains low 60's except for 3Dmark and Ashes where there is significantly higher CPU load.

It is also virtually silent/inaudible in idle/at low RPS while running at high 30s/low 40s, so quiet curve might be nice setting for it if you're okay with higher temps.

The size of the fin stack, especially where it takes space makes the build really hard. There's a really not much space to connect motherboard power/power switch/usb/sata. It also dangerously squeezes riser's ribbon just above the slot. Not that fun.

Considering the price point which is the same as NH-L9i I should recommend it, but fitting in just specific type of case/configuration (especially not fitting well with Sentry) and having issues with asrock boards, it leaves me with mixed feelings really. I'd really love it if the fin stack was centred above the socket, at least in the heat pipe direction, being above the ram doesn't bother me.

I'll be back (after capturing benchmarks for other CPUs) :)

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Ok, after a weekend of build and unbuild, here my test with different cpu cooler:

Build:

Ryzen 2700X
AUTO settings in BIOS
Block set up at 100, RAM at 3200Mhz (The Black RIdge test is with a different RAM, I guess removing the heat spreader on the Flare X has fucked up one damned module)
Kryonaut, rice grain method
Fan pulling air from outside
Ambient room of 22 Degrees
Prime95, SmallFFT for 30 minutes.

Noctua L9a with A19x14 Fan:

Noctua L9a with A9x25 PMW Fan:

Cryorig C7 Cu with Noctua A9x14 Fan:

Black RIdge with Noctua A9x14 Fan:

The Black Ridge perform a bit better of the others, keeping the frequency a bit higher. But the Improvement is marginal!
BUT, seems to be better at normal speed, increasing the fan speed fewer times than the others during a general use.

I will stay with the black ridge, but the quality is not on par with the Noctua, and with the AM4 I have the problem that screwing it at the motherboard, this will bend a bit.

I would like to achieve 3.7GHz base clock keeping the PrecisionBoost and XFR active, but I don't know how to do it! If someone can explain it, will be great!

Last edited:

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018
Ok, after a weekend of build and unbuild, here my test with different cpu cooler:

Build:

Ryzen 2700X
AUTO settings in BIOS
Block set up at 100, RAM at 3200Mhz (The Black RIdge test is with a different RAM, I guess removing the heat spreader on the Flare X has fucked up one damned module)
Kryonaut, rice grain method
Fan pulling air from outside
Ambient room of 22 Degrees
Prime95, SmallFFT for 30 minutes.

Noctua L9a with A19x14 Fan:

Noctua L9a with A9x25 PMW Fan:

Cryorig C7 Cu with Noctua A9x14 Fan:

Black RIdge with Noctua A9x14 Fan:

The Black Ridge perform a bit better of the others, keeping the frequency a bit higher. But the Improvement is marginal!
BUT, seems to be better at normal speed, increasing the fan speed fewer times than the others during a general use.

I will stay with the black ridge, but the quality is not on par with the Noctua, and with the AM4 I have the problem that screwing it at the motherboard, this will bend a bit.

I would like to achieve 3.7GHz base clock keeping the PrecisionBoost and XFR active, but I don't know how to do it! If someone can explain it, will be great!
dang ti, so much wait time and looks like I just bought an overpriced nh-l9i

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
not in north america, nh-l9i is 50$cad but the black ridge is 90$cad + import fees to be determined
Really? jakers that's a big difference, I think there was only about a $20 difference for me in Australia and I'll be running mine with a 120mm fan so I should see far better temps.

Reactions: Damascus

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Really? jakers that's a big difference, I think there was only about a $20 difference for me in Australia and I'll be running mine with a 120mm fan so I should see far better temps.
The black ridge will really shine in ULP RAM + 120mm slim fan setups

TudorAdrian

Cable Smoosher
Oct 26, 2018
The idea is that you use ultra low profile memory sticks to fit the 120 mm fan under the fin stack.

That's pretty much the only option but if you're on a Ryzen build, are there any VLP modules out there that can hit the 3200@CL14 sweet spot?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
That's pretty much the only option but if you're on a Ryzen build, are there any VLP modules out there that can hit the 3200@CL14 sweet spot?

I'm actually still on 2933@CL15 because in Poland the same kits, that have optimal memory chips in US, have randomly different chips, so that's a lottery or paying hell lot more just to have those extra "5%" more performance.

My approach is to take anything 3000+ that is somewhere stated as compatible in motherboard QVL, go with XMP profile and clock it down to 2933MHz.

This won't change for Zen/Zen+ - I assume it will never be ever fixed for current generation because Zen2 is supposedly fixing this by change in architecture iirc from recent AMD event. AMD will move on.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
What I did during this month of tests was to enable the DOCP, and then manually put the Speed to 3200.

It worked for 2x16gb Flare X 2933 C14 with no problem (Now one module is broken, and I don't know how to buy a single one...)

And worked as well with a "poor" Corsair LPX 2x16gb 3200 C16, Hynix chip not optimized for Ryzen, always with DOCP.

Following the timing and specs of DRAM Ryzen calculator, I was never ever able to boot.

But I think the reason is that the 16gb modules are not so easy to push and tweak as the 8gb.

Reactions: TudorAdrian

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Just saw a reddit post that claims this cooler is not compatible with the strx x470/b450i motherboards unless you don't want a gpu (going with apu instead). Its a shame, really wanted one, but can anyone else here confirm this?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Just saw a reddit post that claims this cooler is not compatible with the strx x470/b450i motherboards unless you don't want a gpu (going with apu instead). Its a shame, really wanted one, but can anyone else here confirm this?
It’s compatible, only if you remove the SSD heatsink!
The problem is ASUS that has started to have weird and uncommon layout.

But tell me which is your case and I can say better! I am using it in the DAN