DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lekic

Cable Smoosher
Dec 2, 2018
People would probably ask for render before deciding.

+1. I think the sandwich layout will have better visual aesthetics but its really hard to say without seeing it. For a custom loop stacked components (i.e. original C4 mockup) may look awesome, but I still think sandwich may be the way to go.

Either way, bring on the renders so we can decide! :D

MacroJO

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 11, 2018
Long time lurker here. Like everyone else, I'm hoping to buy this case in 2019.

2.75 slots would add some real differentiation from the Ghost. It doesn't seem like the 2.75 slot type card is going away any time soon. The 2.75 slot cards seem to run very quietly. Making that width available will lead to the creation of some really quiet and powerful systems using stuff like the ASUS strix 2080 TI and Fractal Design Celsius.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I vote for the A4’s sandwich layout, and have to say I’m very happy to see this project back on track!

RockZors

Trash Compacter
Aug 21, 2018
I would vote for the A4 layout. I don't think you should remove the support for wider cards, and I think the back to back approach will work well with the reversible nature of this case which will allow us to show the Motherboard or the GPU.

Not to mention the reduced cost for the flexible cable.

A4 Hardware Layout:
C4-SFX with "flexible riser cable" - CPU heatsink up to 54mm, GPU 2.5/2,75 Slot (51mm+5mm back plate)

Rankless

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2018
Maybe some of you know that the A4-SFXv4 will get a new riser cable. This riser cable is very price attractive and in the same price range of two hard risers. So I like to discuss if you are interest in using the A4 hardware layout for the C4. (GPU behind the motherboard).

Compatibility Comparison:

Current Hardware Layout:
C4-SFX with "2.0 Slot hard riser" - CPU heatsink up to 64mm, GPU 2 Slot (41mm+5mm back plate)
C4-SFX with "2.5 Slot hard riser" - CPU heatsink up to 54mm, GPU 2.5/2,75 Slot (51mm+5mm back plate)

A4 Hardware Layout:
C4-SFX with "flexible riser cable" - CPU heatsink up to 54mm, GPU 2.5/2,75 Slot (51mm+5mm back plate)

I prefer whichever has superior airflow and thermals.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
I prefer whichever has superior airflow and thermals.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
+1 for A4 Hardware Layout:

a single riser cable option (for A4-SFX and C4-SFX) would allow you to make a bigger order and hence, hope for a price reduction... Plus, it will be easier to manage inventory...

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I would say that the development thread isn't necessarily the place to ask. It's like asking the priest whether to enlist. He isn't going to give you the same advice as the recruiter.

Maybe the priest was/is a soldier too? The military has priests. It's not like christianity has anything against killing people in wars. They probably have more blood on their hands than any other government or political movement.

Rankless

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2018
Maybe the priest was/is a soldier too? The military has priests. It's not like christianity has anything against killing people in wars. They probably have more blood on their hands than any other government or political movement.

It's an analogy, and I didn't come up with it, Sartre did. The idea is that the person who asks the priest whether to enlist is less likely to actually want to go to war then the person who asked the recruiter. Either way you know the advice they will give before you ask them.

In the analogy, by asking a thread about C4 whether we like it more than the Geeek he could predict the answer given, and it was likely that he wanted that answer.

bianzi

What's an ITX?
Dec 12, 2018
I like the Current Hardware Layout, A4 layout does not support custom water cooling, Because there is no space for CPU to GPU tubes.

Reactions: Saturnian

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is list of advantages and disadvantages of both layouts:

C4-SFX classic Hardware Layout:
+ functional: Hardriser (future proof will support all PCIe generation, lower RMA quote)
+ functional/aesthetic: easy tubing routing for custom loops
- functional/aesthetic: position of AC power cable
- aesthetic: motherboard is nearly not visible and covered by GPU (Window Kit scenario)
- functional: hard riser blocks more airflow than flexible riser
- functional: hard access to some radiator screws because of mb-tray

C4-SFX A4 Hardware Layout
+ WOW effect is bigger because GPU and MB is visible (maybe bigger selling point on Kickstarter)
+ Clear separation of hardware zones (Window Kit scenario)
+ functional: easy access to all radiator screws.
- functional: flexible riser (error prone, future proof unsure)
- functional/aesthetic: complex tubing routing for custom loops

So you see both layouts have pro and cons. There is no argument that really makes one layout better than the other. So it is more a aesthetic or use case decision.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I like the Current Hardware Layout, A4 layout does not support custom water cooling, Because there is no space for CPU to GPU tubes.

It does.

C4-SFX with A4 Hardware Layout:
Routing example: Radiator with all fitting on one site facing to Case backsite:
Radiator OUT--> CPU block IN ( with included pump like Alphacool Solo) --> CPU OUT--> under the PSU to GPU chamber GPU IN --> GPU out to RADIATOR IN.

But you are right this is cleaner because you do not route into the other chamber under the PSU:

C4-SFX with classical Layout:
Routing example: Radiator X-Flow. One fitting on the left the other on the right side:
Radiator OUT--> CPU block IN ( with included pump like Alphacool Solo) --> CPU OUT--> GPU IN --> GPU out to RADIATOR IN.

DaveMan20

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2018
I vote for the A4 layout. Having room to future proof for wide GPUs is a must. Also for an air cooled GPU (which I assume is the main use case), it can have direct access to air from a side panel whilst still having a AIO cooler (which I also assume is the main use case) and glass panel over the motherboard for aesthetics. Cater to the masses.

Reactions: SashaLag

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@DaveMan20 All arguments (expect of glass panel) are also valid for C4-SFX with classical hardware layout. So for the classical layout the GPU will be have direct access to fresh air from the side panel. Also wide GPUs are supported for classical layout.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
A4 back to back may allow more flexibility in the long run. Stacked C4 layout may be limited by taller motherboard components (ram), daughter-boards, taller AIO cpu blocks, fittings, etc

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
C4-SFX A4 Hardware Layout
+ WOW effect is bigger because GPU and MB is visible (maybe bigger selling point on Kickstarter)

Idunno, i think the WoW effect is for the new layout. Part of the problem with the original layout is you can only see half of it at a time, the other half is on the back. With the new layout you can see the entire build from one viewing angle. Also, ever since your original A4 design came out, there have been a lot of copy cats that have already done the A4 layout with windows, but no one has done this new layout yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.