DAN C4-SFX

elrd5150

Chassis Packer
Nov 26, 2022
Ok, I've changed my mind if top IO affects GPU compatibility, that's crucial, who knows what behemoths will come next.
But still, the front IO doesn't look nice. Maybe we can have different front-panel options? With IO and with the single power button somewhere underneath.

Last edited:
Reactions: PantherB

Cocon1

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 3, 2023
The new C4-SFXv2 is 8mm shorter than the C4-SFXv1. Some of the saved milimeters are added to the height to fit mATX. If i would add the io to the top the max gpu length would be 328mm.
Adding it to the bottom is a perfect spot because here is a unused zone. In my opinion the front does look less boring with i/o.
Thank you for the details. But I think the simplistic front panel and discreetly located I/O on the top panel are what makes this case minimalistic and unique as mentioned by others.

I really appreciate the compactness of the C4-SFXv1 without losing performance. However, if the I/O location or graphic card size is compromised just to make the case a little bit smaller, that would be a huge disappointment. Perhaps adding an extra 8-10mm to the case could potentially solve all performance and aesthetic issues, while still falling within the 14-16L range.

I think you've done an amazing job with C4-SFXv1 and I'm excited to see what improvements and refinements will come with v2

loopaddiction

Chassis Packer
Dec 4, 2018
Hi Dan, is there any chance of moving the I/O in front to the case's top panel for a clean face or making it less noticeable? I know your plan to add I/O at the bottom for design B but personally, I think the v2 concept's front ports really stand out.

I/O on the top looks much better, but a hard decision if it sacrifices GPU compatibility. I personally wouldn't mind a slightly larger case to get a cleaner front panel, but I know some would disagree. Also, the I/O moved to the front + the revised perforation on the side panels make it look very similar to the Ncase M1EVO rounded kit.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Adding it to the bottom is a perfect spot because here is a unused zone. In my opinion the front does look less boring with i/o.
how about adding a small plate to cover the IO cutout? it's for those who don't like the aesthetics of front IO and not using it. then these users can get create / customise that small plate to whatever they like. IIRC the Ncase M1 used to come 2 front panels, one of which doesn't have the IO cutout

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Hi Dan, is there any chance of moving the I/O in front to the case's top panel for a clean face or making it less noticeable? I know your plan to add I/O at the bottom for design B but personally, I think the v2 concept's front ports really stand out.

I really like both your idea as well as Daniels.

@dondan But please make the cable for the front audio ports detachable so it does not take up internal space for people who don't ever use analog audio anymore.

Reactions: Numen

cyZsr3Fm

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 7, 2023
So I am really curious about something. The C4-SFX is always pictured with a dual fan NH-D12L installed, yet the only way to use it in that configuration is either with a motherboard that has no IO cover, or with VLP memory. This doesn't seem like a realistic scenario considering you'd want to run that cooler in that configuration if you have a hot processor, and you'd only want to run that processor on a decent motherboard (all of which come with IO covers these days) and in the company of high-performance RAM which, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't come in the VLP flavour. What gives?

Has anyone actually managed to cram that cooler in with both fans installed and with a motherboard and RAM a sane person would want to use?

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
So I am really curious about something. The C4-SFX is always pictured with a dual fan NH-D12L installed, yet the only way to use it in that configuration is either with a motherboard that has no IO cover, or with VLP memory. This doesn't seem like a realistic scenario considering you'd want to run that cooler in that configuration if you have a hot processor, and you'd only want to run that processor on a decent motherboard (all of which come with IO covers these days) and in the company of high-performance RAM which, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't come in the VLP flavour. What gives?

Has anyone actually managed to cram that cooler in with both fans installed and with a motherboard and RAM a sane person would want to use?

Not sure any of your assumptions is true.

- You'd want 2 fans simply for lower temps or lower noise (slower fans), what CPU you have is irrelevant
- Not everybody needs the massive feature set of a high end motherboard. I bought B650E as it's got plenty for my needs (and I defnitiely didn't want a tiny chipset fan like most of the high end boards have now).
- You can get low profile high performance RAM easily, especially if you don't need RGB - GSkill Flare for a start.

My rig fits happily with NH-D12L and two fans:

G.Skill Flare X5 Series DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 1.35V Memory F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Asrock B650E PG-ITX WIFI

Last edited:

cyZsr3Fm

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 7, 2023
Not sure any of your assumptions is true.

- You'd want 2 fans simply for lower temps or lower noise (slower fans), what CPU you have is irrelevant
- Not everybody needs the massive feature set of a high end motherboard. I bought B650E as it's got plenty for my needs (and I defnitiely didn't want a tiny chipset fan like most of the high end boards have now).
- You can get low profile high performance RAM easily, especially if you don't need RGB - GSkill Flare for a start.

My rig fits happily with NH-D12L and two fans:

G.Skill Flare X5 Series DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 1.35V Memory F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Asrock B650E PG-ITX WIFI
According to Dan's post from May 5th, you need VLP RAM which the GSkill set you mentioned don't be. VLP RAM is half the height of regular low-profile RAM kits. It's server memory, I could only find two fitting DDR5 SKUs (both pretty slow at 4800MHz), and I haven't seen DDR4 kits faster than 2666MHz.

As for the motherboard, I couldn't a B550/X570 motherboard without an IO shroud that would have a front panel USB-C header.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
According to Dan's post from May 5th, you need VLP RAM which the GSkill set you mentioned don't be. VLP RAM is half the height of regular low-profile RAM kits. It's server memory, I could only find two fitting DDR5 SKUs (both pretty slow at 4800MHz), and I haven't seen DDR4 kits faster than 2666MHz.

As for the motherboard, I couldn't a B550/X570 motherboard without an IO shroud that would have a front panel USB-C header.
Why not just run it with one fan? I doubt the second fan adds that much cooling capacity.
I have the SS135 since it was a ton cheaper than the D12L, and it's a single fan cooler (though you can add another). It fits just fine over my Flare RAM and IO shroud on my Asrock B650 board.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

For a tower air cooler, the 2nd fan almost always does not bring much benefit. This is more so for a single tower, and less so for a dual tower. But nonetheless, cooling benefit is minimal or negligible. (But the 'wow' factor is certainly there, visually speaking.)
Eg https://tech4gamers.com/noctua-nh-d12l/ shows an i9-12900K cooled by NH-D12L, single fan vs dual fan only has 2-3C difference.

Another eg i5-12600K OC to 5.1GHz (https://www.funkykit.com/reviews/cooling/noctua-nh-d12l-low-height-dual-tower-cooler-review/4/)

Actually, I think, in the entire chain of thermal transfer (in the path of airflow) , whether or not there is a 2nd fan is usually not the bottleneck. Other factors will more likely being determining. If one really really wants to squeeze that 2-3 degrees off, maybe use a top-notch thermal paste and ultra fine tuning/undervolting will be more useful.

cyZsr3Fm

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 7, 2023
Why not just run it with one fan? I doubt the second fan adds that much cooling capacity.
I have the SS135 since it was a ton cheaper than the D12L, and it's a single fan cooler (though you can add another). It fits just fine over my Flare RAM and IO shroud on my Asrock B650 board.
But more cooling = more better :)
I want to be running a 5800X3D, it's not the hottest at 105W TDP and I suppose the tests from above show that the cooler is more than adequate for the job; Noctua themselves state in their compatibility sheet that there's even headroom for overclocking, but eh.
I will probably try it with one fan first, and if it's not enough I'll go for a 92mm fan ziptied to the rear intake grille like someone on PCPartPicker did.

All that aside, I think my main gripe with it is the fact that all the promo pictures show the case with the D12L and two fans, and it looks freaking cool, but they were most likely taken without any RAM installed, and so learning I can't actually reproduce that look without making significant sacrifices is more than a little disappointing.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
But more cooling = more better :)
I want to be running a 5800X3D, it's not the hottest at 105W TDP and I suppose the tests from above show that the cooler is more than adequate for the job; Noctua themselves state in their compatibility sheet that there's even headroom for overclocking, but eh.
I will probably try it with one fan first, and if it's not enough I'll go for a 92mm fan ziptied to the rear intake grille like someone on PCPartPicker did.

All that aside, I think my main gripe with it is the fact that all the promo pictures show the case with the D12L and two fans, and it looks freaking cool, but they were most likely taken without any RAM installed, and so learning I can't actually reproduce that look without making significant sacrifices is more than a little disappointing.
A quick perusal of the SFF reddit shows almost everyone using a single fan on the D12L.
I did add a slim 92mm fan with my SS135; it's not the best noise so I turned it down to maybe 10-15%, but honestly I have no idea if that really helps. I did see someone with a thicker 92mm fan, so that should fit. Might depend which way you have the D12L turned, since the towers are different sizes unlike the SS135 which has identical towers.